reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Coolhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20211210-071410.png

Is there maybe something wrong in here?

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg, another temp probe going out on me again. This time, I wake up and the temp in the tank is at 72 degrees, I have to manually cut the heater on and it will cut off at the temp I have set for it to go off but it will not cut the heaters back on if the temp goes below the set point. It is a rollercoaster ride of temps all day long. This is annoying me to the point of no return. Just bought a nice colony of candy canes too. Errrrrr
Did you try adding a fake piece of equipment for the "Chiller" setting on temperature controller?

If you can't get it working easiest solution is to go back to 4.3, you can use the upgrade in admin tab. Make sure to power cycle the Pi after you do that. Then delete all your temperature sensors and add them back. That should sort it out.

Once v5.1 is released you can update again.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib

I bought a 29 biocube and my winter project is going to be building another reef-pi. Since a pi zero w is nowhere to be found, i managed to snag a pi zero 2 w. The main differemce is the 2 w has a 4 core processor, the form factor and memory remain the same.
Does reef pi work in the new zero 2 w? Has anyone tried? If so which image is correct, the pi 0 image, or the pi 3 image?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib

I bought a 29 biocube and my winter project is going to be building another reef-pi. Since a pi zero w is nowhere to be found, i managed to snag a pi zero 2 w. The main differemce is the 2 w has a 4 core processor, the form factor and memory remain the same.
Does reef pi work in the new zero 2 w? Has anyone tried? If so which image is correct, the pi 0 image, or the pi 3 image?
I have not tried pi zero 2. I’ll recommend trying with pi 0 build first and if that does not work then move to pi 3 build.
it will be pretty easy to detect if 0 build is not working, since the binary will nit even start. systemctl status reef-pi.service will show that it’s stopped , so after installation

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tried pi zero 2. I’ll recommend trying with pi 0 build first and if that does not work then move to pi 3 build.
it will be pretty easy to detect if 0 build is not working, since the binary will nit even start. systemctl status reef-pi.service will show that it’s stopped , so after installation
I guess im the guinea pig. Will test and report when the pi 2 zero w arrives

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib

I got some of those, they work good, I think I used the Pi 0 image. To me the wifi feels faster than the original zero but still not enough power for a display. The desktop OS runs but when the browser is open it crawls and basically unusable. Other than that it's great.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to start setting up my Raspberry Pi for Reef-Pi. Is there any specific SD card that is more reliable? Seems like the SD card is the biggest issue with Raspberry Pi reliability. I thought I had a spare but will need to buy a new card.
Go SSD HDD from start. All you space issues and SD failures will go. Of course it is just an IT’s opinion

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib

I would go pi3 or 4. I use 4 and works great. Pi0 is just about enough for this job but forget display connection if you do that.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef pi was my first splash into raspberry pi, and linux. Ive since ditched windows, learned alot about liinux and im using raspberry pis for everything. Reef pi, many pi zero tinkering/electronics projects, and even my main router is a pi4b running openwrt(awesome) with dumb access points, with a pi zero as a usb ethernet gadget plugged into that main router running Adguard Home.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go pi3 or 4. I use 4 and works great. Pi0 is just about enough for this job but forget display connection if you do that.
My pi zero running my 75 freshwater does just fine. Instead of a display, I run it headless. It barely breaks a sweat. Ssd is fine, but with a good sd card and a rtc added to my reef pi i havent had a card corruption issue yet and i live in an area with numerous power failures. That being said, i do have a backup and spare card ready at all times just in case.
I have the same in place for my Pi 4 im using as a router.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pi zero running my 75 freshwater does just fine. Instead of a display, I run it headless. It barely breaks a sweat. Ssd is fine, but with a good sd card and a rtc added to my reef pi i havent had a card corruption issue yet and i live in an area with numerous power failures. That being said, i do have a backup and spare card ready at all times just in case.
I have the same in place for my Pi 4 im using as a router.
You are right. The reef-pi itself doesn’t require more than pi 0. If you plan anything more on that hardware be it just a display, or connecting it to your Alexa, run mqtt server on the side it is not enough.
As per SD I worked with a lot of them in the past and not trusting it for more than putting it in a camera where if breaks I put it in the bin. An 128GB SSD cost £10. I good SD can be 3x of that price

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so it's an USB SSD to plug to the USB port
Yep. It is actually less performance than the high end SD but the benefits are higher than the performance loss. I actually never noticed but I know it is lower according to the tests I have looked.

Coolhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try adding a fake piece of equipment for the "Chiller" setting on temperature controller?

If you can't get it working easiest solution is to go back to 4.3, you can use the upgrade in admin tab. Make sure to power cycle the Pi after you do that. Then delete all your temperature sensors and add them back. That should sort it out.

Once v5.1 is released you can update again.
That is exactly how I got it to work, added chiller to a plug that wasn't even a plug lol, then made the temp for the chiller to kick on at like 120 degrees and blam, now controls my heaters again. Is this a bug for raspberry pi 4's?

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, with reef-pi is possible to trigger custom "actions" based on "any" sensor data ? In example, power on the chiller outlet if ph reading is 34, then dose 20ml with dosing pump3 and shutdown the heater.

(stupid example only to show the idea)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, with reef-pi is possible to trigger custom "actions" based on "any" sensor data ? In example, power on the chiller outlet if ph reading is 34, then dose 20ml with dosing pump3 and shutdown the heater.

(stupid example only to show the idea)
Should be possible. The actions can be grouped as a single macro which is then triggered by ph module

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly how I got it to work, added chiller to a plug that wasn't even a plug lol, then made the temp for the chiller to kick on at like 120 degrees and blam, now controls my heaters again. Is this a bug for raspberry pi 4's?
It’s a UI bug that saves the empty equipment target for chiller as ‘nothing’ in 5.0 release. It’s fixed in master and will be released in 5.1

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone , I have just released 5.1. It has three minor bug fixes
- temperature controller ui was saving wrong details when target equipment was not specified
- dli web switch driver authentication bug (thank you @dmolavi for the patch )
- light changes was taking 15 seconds to take effect after update
Release builds can be found in usual location:
4.0 or above user can upgrade straight from UI. There was no breaking changes .

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back