reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for some long due coral pics :) . Now that my house works are settling , and the new tank is slowly growing, hopefully I’ll get to share more coral photos

Zoa, leptoseris and Ricordia island
46D62F29-3628-45D6-8EE2-2936F817C930.jpeg

Rainbow monti and alveopora . Cleaner shrimp is photo bombing
B4E91B60-3688-4AEE-8AD6-67C09C211AE3.jpeg

Acan lord
190AE863-A076-4109-A5EF-6603C3A09B17.jpeg

Fungia . New acquisition :)

FE699A86-4F06-43AE-90A5-845C48709862.jpeg

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib does the reef-pi community have anything in the works for automated alk testing? Was think we could do the ph probe titration method that doesn’t rely on a colorimeter.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib does the reef-pi community have anything in the works for automated alk testing? Was think we could do the ph probe titration method that doesn’t rely on a colorimeter.
There are discussions on this in recent times, but nothing concrete yet. We have an open source peristaltic pump design(3D printed parts and nema23 stepper) , contributed by a community member and other smaller bits that we have to assemble, and do end to end testing .

DWKDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On 5.1 trying to reset ATO get this:

Failed to delete. Error: item 'undefined' does not exist in bucket 'ato'

I already deleted and recreated the ATO but same results.

Any idea what is wrong?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On 5.1 trying to reset ATO get this:

Failed to delete. Error: item 'undefined' does not exist in bucket 'ato'

I already deleted and recreated the ATO but same results.

Any idea what is wrong?
can you refresh and check if theres any usage graph present? this sounds like a minor UI bug(ato id is not being set correctly.. hence the undefined), but im not able to reproduce yet,,

DWKDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you refresh and check if theres any usage graph present? this sounds like a minor UI bug(ato id is not being set correctly.. hence the undefined), but im not able to reproduce yet,,
Did the refresh several times. Waited a long time refresh. Same results.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Apologies if this is covered in this huge 889 page thread, but I’ve been toying with the idea of playing around with reef-pi and don’t know what I need to start with.

One of the problems is that the Raspberry Pi seems almost impossible to get hold of. What is the current recommendations as to which versions are best, what will work for a simple controller, and where are you buying from?

The Pi 4 seems overkill and I’m worried about the heat. Pi 3 is out of stock almost everywhere. The Pi zero 2w is in stock in one store that I’ve found but I’m not sure how suitable that is.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies if this is covered in this huge 889 page thread, but I’ve been toying with the idea of playing around with reef-pi and don’t know what I need to start with.

One of the problems is that the Raspberry Pi seems almost impossible to get hold of. What is the current recommendations as to which versions are best, what will work for a simple controller, and where are you buying from?

The Pi 4 seems overkill and I’m worried about the heat. Pi 3 is out of stock almost everywhere. The Pi zero 2w is in stock in one store that I’ve found but I’m not sure how suitable that is.
I run one setup on the Pi Zero.. The 2w would be just fine.

DWKDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5.1. I've deleted ato and added back an ato. Let it run for a while and get graph data. Still same error when trying to reset ato.

Can't reset any ato.

marekd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranjib,

Not sure how everyone would feel about this but could I suggest if possible to drop the year from the graphing function.
I think it would make them little more cleaner looking.

One more question, are you still planning to assign the MQTT messages so they are specific to reef-pi device name? We had a thread while back to help resolve issue when multiple reef-pi devices are broadcasting messages, the messages from another reef-pi device with same name get lost.

Cheers
Mark

Screenshot 2021-12-28.png

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranjib,

Not sure how everyone would feel about this but could I suggest if possible to drop the year from the graphing function.
I think it would make them little more cleaner looking.

One more question, are you still planning to assign the MQTT messages so they are specific to reef-pi device name? We had a thread while back to help resolve issue when multiple reef-pi devices are broadcasting messages, the messages from another reef-pi device with same name get lost.

Cheers
Mark

Screenshot 2021-12-28.png
Funny you say that , originally it was not there , but that created confusion during the December to January transition and I had to update code to include year.
this is very simple visual change that we can always change, it’s more about the user experience we have to settle in. I’m open for suggestions

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding mqtt, do we have a GitHub issue to track it ? If not we should start with that and slowly get it fixed. I don’t use mqtt hence not on top of those issues

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5.1. I've deleted ato and added back an ato. Let it run for a while and get graph data. Still same error when trying to reset ato.

Can't reset any ato.
This was minor UI bug. I have fixed it already and will be out in 5.2 . Super sorry for overlooking this and thank you so much for reporting it.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you say that , originally it was not there , but that created confusion during the December to January transition and I had to update code to include year.
this is very simple visual change that we can always change, it’s more about the user experience we have to settle in. I’m open for suggestions
I thought about this before, would it be possible to make what is displayed dependant on the time-width of the graph? I.e. only display hours and minutes OR day and month OR just month OR month and year OR just year depending on how much time the graph covers. The full timestamp can still be left in the popup whn selecting datapoints to clear up confusions

Or something similar, to declutter irrelevant data

Last edited:

marekd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL... I understand the reasoning to include it but I if you have month as you do I am not clear on confusion. I suspect if you want year history graph I would expect that folks are using options like Grafana. In any event are there any possibilities to include an option/switch include year or do not include year this might be the easiest way to make everyone happy ? :)

or better yet love the elysics suggestion above

Last edited:

marekd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding mqtt, do we have a GitHub issue to track it ? If not we should start with that and slowly get it fixed. I don’t use mqtt hence not on top of those issues
Ok I will post an issue to track it. I use Grafana extensively so this level of segregation will allow for multiple reef-pi devices data analytics.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow… I didn’t realize raspberry pi’s were so scarce with the chip shortage. Can’t find them anywhere for less than $100, huge bummer for some projects I had planned

Coolhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple two questions, what is the best raspberry pi camera to use with reef pi and also how many cameras can I have hooked up at one time?

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting a bug where my temp graphs on my dashboard seem to not be updating. I was on 4.3 and upgraded to 5.1 but its still happening.
I know its still monitoring the temp in real time but the graphs are always behind by 20 - 30 min and only seem to randomly update. Perhaps I am missing a setting somewhere?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back