reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No hardware changes.

My phone started blowing up with overheat notifications at work yesterday. I "upgraded" back down to version 4.3 using vnc and everything started working again.

Guess bugs like this will happen from time to time but glad we have plenty of tools to tell us when something is going wrong.

Coolhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phone started blowing up with overheat notifications at work yesterday. I "upgraded" back down to version 4.3 using vnc and everything started working again.

Guess bugs like this will happen from time to time but glad we have plenty of tools to tell us when something is going wrong.
Thinking I am going to change out the temp probes, see if that changes anything.

Coolhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I reverted back to 4.3 and it seems to have sorted itself out.

Coolhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reverted back to 4.3 and it seems to have sorted itself out.
Spoke too soon, still having the issue with the temp probe controlling the heaters. Reverted back to 4.3. This is horrible watching your corals start to die again. I am about to pack it up. Just when I start to actually have some success stuff like this happens and there is nothing I can do. No switches are on reverse, haven't messed with any settings. I just don't know.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke too soon, still having the issue with the temp probe controlling the heaters. Reverted back to 4.3. This is horrible watching your corals start to die again. I am about to pack it up. Just when I start to actually have some success stuff like this happens and there is nothing I can do. No switches are on reverse, haven't messed with any settings. I just don't know.
thats sad. take the heater out of reef-pi control if you cant detect whats going wrong. I was not able to find time to cross check, but all my tanks are running fine till now on 5.0.
If you want me to help diagnose the issue, please start a thread. with the temp controller detail. right now i have recollect those details from this thread, which is cumbersome. From what i recall you are using 79.5 degree threshold without any hysteresis. If you do start a thread, please include the logs , reef-pi will log all detail like this (from my controller)
Code:
Nov 30 23:43:06 pico-1 reef-pi[425]: 2021/11/30 23:43:06 Reading temperature from device: 28-0417710dbbff
Nov 30 23:43:07 pico-1 reef-pi[425]: 2021/11/30 23:43:07 temperature sub-system:  sensor Tank value: 77.34
Nov 30 23:43:07 pico-1 reef-pi[425]: 2021/11/30 23:43:07 Current value of 'Tank' is below minimum threshold. Executing up routine
Nov 30 23:43:07 pico-1 reef-pi[425]: 2021/11/30 23:43:07 Equipment: Fan On: false
Nov 30 23:43:07 pico-1 reef-pi[425]: 2021/11/30 23:43:07 Equipment: Heater2 On: true

also try with 0.25 as hysteresis value

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a weird bug here. On mobile, when I go into the submenus,like of a temperature or pH probe and change a setting (like for example changing the check frequency of the temp probe or enabling/disabling the pH probe) then the save button doesn't work.

If I hit save, then the submenu closes, if I open it again, the value I changed wasn't saved and is the same as before the change.

If however I don't hit save, but navigate to a different menu like for example the dashboard, and then go back to that submenu, the changed value was saved

Haven't encountered this on desktop

Happened on 4.3 as well

Coolhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats sad. take the heater out of reef-pi control if you cant detect whats going wrong. I was not able to find time to cross check, but all my tanks are running fine till now on 5.0.
If you want me to help diagnose the issue, please start a thread. with the temp controller detail. right now i have recollect those details from this thread, which is cumbersome. From what i recall you are using 79.5 degree threshold without any hysteresis. If you do start a thread, please include the logs , reef-pi will log all detail like this (from my controller)
Code:
Nov 30 23:43:06 pico-1 reef-pi[425]: 2021/11/30 23:43:06 Reading temperature from device: 28-0417710dbbff
Nov 30 23:43:07 pico-1 reef-pi[425]: 2021/11/30 23:43:07 temperature sub-system:  sensor Tank value: 77.34
Nov 30 23:43:07 pico-1 reef-pi[425]: 2021/11/30 23:43:07 Current value of 'Tank' is below minimum threshold. Executing up routine
Nov 30 23:43:07 pico-1 reef-pi[425]: 2021/11/30 23:43:07 Equipment: Fan On: false
Nov 30 23:43:07 pico-1 reef-pi[425]: 2021/11/30 23:43:07 Equipment: Heater2 On: true

also try with 0.25 as hysteresis value
Dude, burned out temp probe. Is there a particular brand that lasts anymore then 5 or 6 months? I mean, I do spend more a year on filter floss than anything excluding food. I don't buy

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, burned out temp probe. Is there a particular brand that lasts anymore then 5 or 6 months? I mean, I do spend more a year on filter floss than anything excluding food. I don't buy
Is this the thermometer in your heater or the probe attached to reefpi? To make your probe last longer, encase it with shrink sleeving and pot it (fill with epoxy or super glue gel, etc)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all my canakit or adacfruit or drok probes have lasted more than few years. In fact I only had two probes (among dozens that I used) that went bad for me.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a weird bug here. On mobile, when I go into the submenus,like of a temperature or pH probe and change a setting (like for example changing the check frequency of the temp probe or enabling/disabling the pH probe) then the save button doesn't work.

If I hit save, then the submenu closes, if I open it again, the value I changed wasn't saved and is the same as before the change.

If however I don't hit save, but navigate to a different menu like for example the dashboard, and then go back to that submenu, the changed value was saved

Haven't encountered this on desktop

Happened on 4.3 as well
Need to revise that report, seems to just save the values veeery slowly. On PC too. I can hit save and nothing happens, F5 or CTRL+F5 and no change ,but if I come back a minute or two later then the change is there, switching menus seems to have been coincidence

Could that be a dying pi or SD card or something in reefpi?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to revise that report, seems to just save the values veeery slowly. On PC too. I can hit save and nothing happens, F5 or CTRL+F5 and no change ,but if I come back a minute or two later then the change is there, switching menus seems to have been coincidence

Could that be a dying pi or SD card or something in reefpi?
Does the cpu and memory graph looks normal?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the cpu and memory graph looks normal?
Not really, CPU went randomly up, but still only to 8%, not sure exactly what the memory number is supposed to tell me tbh but it didn't change much

Screenshot_20211204-113643.png

The left third of the current graph is old data from october, there's a cut sometime yesterday, some data went missing on reboot

Actually, now that I am looking, what also went missing was a new doser entity I created and doser settings I changed that were showing up before the reboot. Something really weird is going on, not sure if reefpi is holding data in ram but not writing to card properly or something entirely different, idk

DWKDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do I put in upgrade text box EXACTLY to upgrade inside reef pi to version 5.0?

Thanks

level16gazebo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wave maker electronics are not yet sorted. Because most of them ships with their own controller and very few allows external control, we have been mostly delayes the support for the wavemaker. With 3.0 we shipped pwm profiles that will make things easy, and probably from software side we have the bare minimal things, but the electronics needs to be sorted out. My gut feeling is we can take the pwm output from pca9685 or pi and then use a BLDC/BEMF controller for 24V (drok has one) and then test some pumps (mp10s, gyres etc).
I'm VERY interested in this. I purchased some RC ESCs and found them unsuitable - they require complicated arming procedures that in that application are fail-safe, but in this application are fail-deadly. I'm not worried about crashing my pump into a tree, I want it to turn on even if it's the wrong speed, y'know?

I've got a JYQD_V6.31 board arriving Tuesday, hoping that exactly that approach works out for me. I've read other threads that seem to imply that there's some loss in power, but I'm not super worried about that, I already run pretty low and plan on adding more wavemakers anyway.

I want to basically emulate the features of the Hydros 'WaveEngine', not the smallest of which is getting rid of the power bricks and controller boxes. Jebao apparently told CoralVue they couldn't add compatibility for their pumps to the WaveEngine, which... I really don't care if I void the warranty on an 80 dollar pump, I can buy another one - why is not the consumer's choice?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm VERY interested in this. I purchased some RC ESCs and found them unsuitable - they require complicated arming procedures that in that application are fail-safe, but in this application are fail-deadly. I'm not worried about crashing my pump into a tree, I want it to turn on even if it's the wrong speed, y'know?

I've got a JYQD_V6.31 board arriving Tuesday, hoping that exactly that approach works out for me. I've read other threads that seem to imply that there's some loss in power, but I'm not super worried about that, I already run pretty low and plan on adding more wavemakers anyway.

I want to basically emulate the features of the Hydros 'WaveEngine', not the smallest of which is getting rid of the power bricks and controller boxes. Jebao apparently told CoralVue they couldn't add compatibility for their pumps to the WaveEngine, which... I really don't care if I void the warranty on an 80 dollar pump, I can buy another one - why is not the consumer's choice?
Keep us posted on what you find. I think @robsworld78 has tinkered with the jebao pumps, .. there were some posts on robotank forum related to this.
Long ago , I think @theatrus also shared some insights (my BEMF/BLDC suggestions were based on those).

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really, CPU went randomly up, but still only to 8%, not sure exactly what the memory number is supposed to tell me tbh but it didn't change much

Screenshot_20211204-113643.png

The left third of the current graph is old data from october, there's a cut sometime yesterday, some data went missing on reboot

Actually, now that I am looking, what also went missing was a new doser entity I created and doser settings I changed that were showing up before the reboot. Something really weird is going on, not sure if reefpi is holding data in ram but not writing to card properly or something entirely different, idk
only usage data is kept in memory (and written back to disk after every hour, or during planned reload/restart). Rest every thing , all CRUD operations (create, update, retrieve, delete ) of domain objects (ato, connectors, light, ph, macro .. pretty much all things in reef-pi) is always done with database (sd card/disk).

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back