reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Tom Bishop

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Yeah I've been all over his sight, I have a later version of his goby its called out on Tindie - https://www.tindie.com/products/ranthalion/ml-reef-pi-hat-goby/#specs but I cannot find the gerber files for that version, he has 3 versions listed but none of them are the one shown here or the one that I have. Maybe he was going to host them up but so far I cannot find them. I was actually going to have some PCB's made of these also, like 5 of them to have on hand for spares and that loaner setup I was talking about but need to find the gerbers.

Reef Chasers Aquaculture

BlakeFL

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Yeah I've been all over his sight, I have a later version of his goby its called out on Tindie - https://www.tindie.com/products/ranthalion/ml-reef-pi-hat-goby/#specs but I cannot find the gerber files for that version, he has 3 versions listed but none of them are the one shown here or the one that I have. Maybe he was going to host them up but so far I cannot find them. I was actually going to have some PCB's made of these also, like 5 of them to have on hand for spares and that loaner setup I was talking about but need to find the gerbers.
You could try contacting him here on Reef2Reef. I was in the same situation as you, looking to buy one of his Goby hats. I contacted him and he said he had none in stock but would be making more in a few months.

Tom Bishop

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
You could try contacting him here on Reef2Reef. I was in the same situation as you, looking to buy one of his Goby hats. I contacted him and he said he had none in stock but would be making more in a few months.
I've tried to reach out to him but haven't been able to contact him yet, I am going to try to make some units and if I am successful I will post if and when I have some on hand. :)

Tom Bishop

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
@robsworld78 I have some updates for your load script, let me know how to get you an updated file so you can kick the tires, basically I have it calling tzdata interactively which then the user just scrolls and selects the timezone vs having to look it up etc, if interested let me know, real simple change. :)

robsworld78

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
@robsworld78 I have some updates for your load script, let me know how to get you an updated file so you can kick the tires, basically I have it calling tzdata interactively which then the user just scrolls and selects the timezone vs having to look it up etc, if interested let me know, real simple change. :)
That sounds awesome, definitely interested, thank-you! :) I'll send you a PM.

theatrus

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
On the ViaSpectra adapter, JLCPCB had some internal issues, so their 3 day assembly has turned into about 7 days, but things are moving now:

1642051162918.png

Tom Bishop

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
On the ViaSpectra adapter, JLCPCB had some internal issues, so their 3 day assembly has turned into about 7 days, but things are moving now:

1642051162918.png
Thats way faster than pcbway, they are saying due to the upcoming holidays it will be February until I will see the boards. Will post here when I have more information and will send you one to do a comparison of the work, will be interesting to see how they differ or which ones actually work, lol. :)

pcbway-update.png

Tom Bishop

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Chinese New Year is coming up, and availability around this period can get very rocky (usually, from past experience when I did actual volume product in China a decade+ ago, nearly half the staff turns over for factories).
Yeah they had banners up on the ordering page about it so at least they gave plenty of notice but if they do turn yours around in that short of a time period and cheaper to boot that will be pretty slick. Let us know how it continues to proceed, I want to have some of his goby boards made but unable to find his latest gerbers, but waiting to see how these come out to see which one does a better job before doing those.

theatrus

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Yeah they had banners up on the ordering page about it so at least they gave plenty of notice but if they do turn yours around in that short of a time period and cheaper to boot that will be pretty slick. Let us know how it continues to proceed, I want to have some of his goby boards made but unable to find his latest gerbers, but waiting to see how these come out to see which one does a better job before doing those.

The trick with JLCPCB is to stay within their parts catalog: https://jlcpcb.com/parts/

They've slowly lifted restrictions (e.g. can do hand soldering now for connectors) but a huge pain in assembly services is ordering parts and then prepping them for the pick and place machines. JLC basically has a stock catalog of parts on reels already on feeders (the basic parts), and a library of parts they're willing to load into feeders if need be (at a fee per part). Since they already are under the same umbrella as a distribution company (LCSC) they simplified some of the purchasing step, that is if its stock. PCBWay is happy to order anything, make more than 30 parts, etc, where as JLC is more "only this, no exceptions"

REEFTIDE

Tom Bishop

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
The trick with JLCPCB is to stay within their parts catalog: https://jlcpcb.com/parts/

They've slowly lifted restrictions (e.g. can do hand soldering now for connectors) but a huge pain in assembly services is ordering parts and then prepping them for the pick and place machines. JLC basically has a stock catalog of parts on reels already on feeders (the basic parts), and a library of parts they're willing to load into feeders if need be (at a fee per part). Since they already are under the same umbrella as a distribution company (LCSC) they simplified some of the purchasing step, that is if its stock. PCBWay is happy to order anything, make more than 30 parts, etc, where as JLC is more "only this, no exceptions"
Thats really good to know, thanks for sharing the information. I am new to this world and trying to learn what I can and this helps for sure. :)

robsworld78

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Looks like these guys just got some more Pi Zero 2 W's, sucks you can only buy 1 per order though, their last batch they allowed two.

Avast

GaryE

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Those are nice units but I find myself using more and more zero's and now with the zero 2's even better. :)

If you can tell me where I can find them, I'd buy them... They seem to be made from unobtainium...

GaryE

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Looks like these guys just got some more Pi Zero 2 W's, sucks you can only buy 1 per order though, their last batch they allowed two.

Shipping is a bit salty...

Tom Bishop

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
If you can tell me where I can find them, I'd buy them... They seem to be made from unobtainium...
I get mine from a local microcenter, they used to have really cheap pi's. I was purchasing the older version pi zero w without a header for $5ea. I just picked up a couple of zero 2 but they were selling for the normal price of $15ea and limit you to one per customer, usually take my wife though and get 2. Hoping at some point the supply opens up and they will let you purchase more than that at one time, but crazy times right now.

AS

Have you ever torn down a tank over an issue you couldn't seem to beat?

• Yes! I have. (Tell us about what issue you faced in the thread.)

Votes: 176 24.2%
  • No. Thankfully, I haven't.

Votes: 376 51.7%
  • Nope, but it almost happened. (Share your experience in the thread.)

Votes: 53 7.3%
  • Not yet, but I'm almost there. (Tell us what you're dealing with.)

Votes: 61 8.4%
  • If you reef long enough, this will eventually happen to you.

Votes: 47 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 14 1.9%
Deltec