reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

GaryE

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Looks like these guys just got some more Pi Zero 2 W's, sucks you can only buy 1 per order though, their last batch they allowed two.

These are also again out of stock....

Click to watch best scape method in 5 easy steps!

psxnet

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi everyone,

I have just built (today) a reef-pi and initially just a thermometer which I am testing.
All is working fine and until a few minutes ago I could log in without issues, but unfortunetly I changed the 0.0.0.0:80 network setting to what I thought would allow me to log via an external connection, but it doesnt, and it now wont connect by the .local command!

Can anyone tell me where to find the file that stores the settings that I can alter please, and I promise not to mess about with it again :)

Thanks.

Tom Bishop

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi everyone,

I have just built (today) a reef-pi and initially just a thermometer which I am testing.
All is working fine and until a few minutes ago I could log in without issues, but unfortunetly I changed the 0.0.0.0:80 network setting to what I thought would allow me to log via an external connection, but it doesnt, and it now wont connect by the .local command!

Can anyone tell me where to find the file that stores the settings that I can alter please, and I promise not to mess about with it again :)

Thanks.
See if this will get you back to working, you will need to SSH to the rpi and do the commands mentioned in the post...https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-pi-5-0-release-announcement.874824/post-9764873

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
@Ranjib - is there a way to connect multiple reefpi together instead of managing them separately? Thinking of having a reefpi control the tank inside the house and another in the garage for the mixing station. Thanks!
Nope not right now . This was planned and I had started working on it, but we have not been able to pull it off. I still have plan to do it , but not sure if it will be this year or sometime later

Reef Chasers Aquaculture

psxnet

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
See if this will get you back to working, you will need to SSH to the rpi and do the commands mentioned in the post...https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-pi-5-0-release-announcement.874824/post-9764873
Many thanks for that, I'm at work at the moment but will have a go when I get home.
I did look at that file yesterday as I saw in the setup notes that it could be copied as a backup, but I didn't search through it!

Tom Bishop

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I know this has been covered but I have been working on updating the robotank script and can't remember, why are there different reef-pi images for the zero vs rpi 3/4? I know I've seen the answer but unable to find it and just wondering what the differences are.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I know this has been covered but I have been working on updating the robotank script and can't remember, why are there different reef-pi images for the zero vs rpi 3/4? I know I've seen the answer but unable to find it and just wondering what the differences are.

Pi zero is arm v6 architecture , while pi3/4 is arm 7/8 . That is the genre of their cpu processor is different , and the go binary , the controller code needs to be built differently for each of those two. zeros binary will not work on pi 3, and vice versa. Hence the two packages

Tom Bishop

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Pi zero is arm v6 architecture , while pi3/4 is arm 7/8 . That is the genre of their cpu processor is different , and the go binary , the controller code needs to be built differently for each of those two. zeros binary will not work on pi 3, and vice versa. Hence the two packages
Welp I need to double check my script but I think I am running reef-pi-4.3-pi3.deb on a zero right now...will double check and see what I have running. I have been updating and tweaking @robsworld78 robotank script, and been testing/verifying stuff and pretty sure I loaded up that version.

Tom Bishop

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I just loaded reef-pi-4.3-pi3.deb on a zero w running bullseye and it loads and so far appears to be running fine...lol. Maybe something is different with bullseye vs buster? I do not have a rpi3 to test on but tested the -pi3 on a zero.

I dunno, maybe something has changed, would make managing images a whole lot easier...:)

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Sean Clark

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
An Opensource Controller Product you say?

Animation Logo GIF by JOSH HILL

GaryE

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Since the last update, when I click on the "Auto" / "Manual" buttons in the lights section, I get this dialog..

1642308736452.png

Not entirely sure what that language is, but it certainly does not match the language in my OS and it happens like this across all devices I have used. Including my computer at work. Pretty sure I don't have whatever Germanic language this is set on my work computer, I'd never get anything done... ;)

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Since the last update, when I click on the "Auto" / "Manual" buttons in the lights section, I get this dialog..

1642308736452.png

Not entirely sure what that language is, but it certainly does not match the language in my OS and it happens like this across all devices I have used. Including my computer at work. Pretty sure I don't have whatever Germanic language this is set on my work computer, I'd never get anything done... ;)
5.2?

Devin_Tesla

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0

it's German and your not the only one

Tidal Gardens January 29th YouTube Live Show

GaryE

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I just loaded reef-pi-4.3-pi3.deb on a zero w running bullseye and it loads and so far appears to be running fine...lol. Maybe something is different with bullseye vs buster? I do not have a rpi3 to test on but tested the -pi3 on a zero.

I dunno, maybe something has changed, would make managing images a whole lot easier...:)

I've been running pi3 versions on pi zero for a while.. no issues

Tom Bishop

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I've been running pi3 versions on pi zero for a while.. no issues
Yup I think that used to be an issue but I do not think it is any longer, especially with the new zero2 I think the cpu architecture is the same as a rpi3 so the issue would only be for the original zero. I'm not sure how to verify the issue exists or what performance penalties you may have with go but I just thought if it works then it would be nice to get to one image. :)

@Ranjib I'd be happy to do some more testing etc, I have a zero that I use for testing and was surprised to see reef-pi happily running. If there is anything I can do to test etc, let me know.

GaryE

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Yup I think that used to be an issue but I do not think it is any longer, especially with the new zero2 I think the cpu architecture is the same as a rpi3 so the issue would only be for the original zero. I'm not sure how to verify the issue exists or what performance penalties you may have with go but I just thought if it works then it would be nice to get to one image. :)

as of today, I own only one zero, the original. Until a week or so ago it was running just fine on the rpi3 version. That was until I fried the board..

I have a zero 2 w on the way..

Top Shelf Aquatics

Have you ever torn down a tank over an issue you couldn't seem to beat?

• Yes! I have. (Tell us about what issue you faced in the thread.)

Votes: 183 24.6%
  • No. Thankfully, I haven't.

Votes: 383 51.5%
  • Nope, but it almost happened. (Share your experience in the thread.)

Votes: 55 7.4%
  • Not yet, but I'm almost there. (Tell us what you're dealing with.)

Votes: 61 8.2%
  • If you reef long enough, this will eventually happen to you.

Votes: 47 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 14 1.9%
Zoanthids.com