reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Devin_Tesla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the last update, when I click on the "Auto" / "Manual" buttons in the lights section, I get this dialog..

Not entirely sure what that language is, but it certainly does not match the language in my OS and it happens like this across all devices I have used. Including my computer at work. Pretty sure I don't have whatever Germanic language this is set on my work computer, I'd never get anything done... ;)

it's German and your not the only one

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just loaded reef-pi-4.3-pi3.deb on a zero w running bullseye and it loads and so far appears to be running fine...lol. Maybe something is different with bullseye vs buster? I do not have a rpi3 to test on but tested the -pi3 on a zero.

I dunno, maybe something has changed, would make managing images a whole lot easier...:)

I've been running pi3 versions on pi zero for a while.. no issues

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running pi3 versions on pi zero for a while.. no issues
Yup I think that used to be an issue but I do not think it is any longer, especially with the new zero2 I think the cpu architecture is the same as a rpi3 so the issue would only be for the original zero. I'm not sure how to verify the issue exists or what performance penalties you may have with go but I just thought if it works then it would be nice to get to one image. :)

@Ranjib I'd be happy to do some more testing etc, I have a zero that I use for testing and was surprised to see reef-pi happily running. If there is anything I can do to test etc, let me know.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I think that used to be an issue but I do not think it is any longer, especially with the new zero2 I think the cpu architecture is the same as a rpi3 so the issue would only be for the original zero. I'm not sure how to verify the issue exists or what performance penalties you may have with go but I just thought if it works then it would be nice to get to one image. :)

as of today, I own only one zero, the original. Until a week or so ago it was running just fine on the rpi3 version. That was until I fried the board..

I have a zero 2 w on the way..

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working on updating @robsworld78
as of today, I own only one zero, the original. Until a week or so ago it was running just fine on the rpi3 version. That was until I fried the board..

I have a zero 2 w on the way..
Ouch, dang I've yet to fry one and I can say that I have not been the most easiest on them, how did that happen?

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working on updating @robsworld78

Ouch, dang I've yet to fry one and I can say that I have not been the most easiest on them, how did that happen?

They are exceedingly easy to kill... seems that my light setup was feeding power back to the box.. I suppose it just finally had enough.

So I pulled out the "hat" and put a diode in place to stop that nonsense and forgot to cut off the leads after soldering it in, caused a lot of drama there.. (with my virgin RPi 3 plugged in) and now it has random issues..

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been helping @robsworld78 with his initial loading script (well I hope I have been of some help,lol) and I think it goes a long way to automate the initial loading things up but it got me thinking about how we can move this to the next stage for the end user. It doesn't need to go to that next stage but there are a lot of users that are not tech savvy etc, that just want to plug something in and use it. To that end here are some of the things that I think if we could set via the reef-pi interface would move us to more of an appliance type setup vs the setup that we have today:

Critical
tzdata (need the ability to set,update, modify)
pi user password (ability to set, update, modify)
update the OS software

Nice to have
Hostname (ability to set, update, modify)

Wireless networking is pretty straightforward since the image contains a blank wpa_supplicant.conf file in the /boot directory and they just add the SSID and PSK to join the network, now knowing what the address turns out to be is another issue and need to think more about that. I always use a DHCP reservation for the given mac address but how do all of the IOT devices handle it, there is probably an easier way but something to consider.

I think with a few additions to the admin screen where it allows a user to do everything through the web would possibly open things up to more users, food for thought.

:)

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are exceedingly easy to kill... seems that my light setup was feeding power back to the box.. I suppose it just finally had enough.

So I pulled out the "hat" and put a diode in place to stop that nonsense and forgot to cut off the leads after soldering it in, caused a lot of drama there.. (with my virgin RPi 3 plugged in) and now it has random issues..
Ouch...

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been helping @robsworld78 with his initial loading script (well I hope I have been of some help,lol) and I think it goes a long way to automate the initial loading things up but it got me thinking about how we can move this to the next stage for the end user. It doesn't need to go to that next stage but there are a lot of users that are not tech savvy etc, that just want to plug something in and use it. To that end here are some of the things that I think if we could set via the reef-pi interface would move us to more of an appliance type setup vs the setup that we have today:

Critical
tzdata (need the ability to set,update, modify)
pi user password (ability to set, update, modify)
update the OS software

Nice to have
Hostname (ability to set, update, modify)

Wireless networking is pretty straightforward since the image contains a blank wpa_supplicant.conf file in the /boot directory and they just add the SSID and PSK to join the network, now knowing what the address turns out to be is another issue and need to think more about that. I always use a DHCP reservation for the given mac address but how do all of the IOT devices handle it, there is probably an easier way but something to consider.

I think with a few additions to the admin screen where it allows a user to do everything through the web would possibly open things up to more users, food for thought.

:)
Yes, I want to have something like this (initial setup wizard) along side WiFi hotspot configuration in reef-pi. That will allow users to setup without any ssh login.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak for gary but I have a plain old original zero running since yesterday loaded with the -3.deb and it started up without a squeak and has been running fine...why I asked the question, something has changed and the -3.deb seems to run just fine on a old zero now. :)

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I want to have something like this (initial setup wizard) along side WiFi hotspot configuration in reef-pi. That will allow users to setup without any ssh login.
Agree I think that would be pretty slick and allow more users to use them, more plug and play. I understand the linux side of things but not the go side, if there is something that I could help with etc, I'm willing to help out. I will look into some other wizard type things and see what they may have in common. I made my son a stratux adsb receiver last summer and it did a wifi hotspot for it's configuration, I will poke around there and see how they did it, runs on a pi3 - http://stratux.me/

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I believe I figured out my issue with this pi having random issues..

Power wire to the pi was a touch loose.. replaced it and the ground and it seems stable for now.. We'll see.. ;)

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found something new and interesting on 5.1-83-g3c22d04b... (edit.. problem is present in 5.0 also)

1642389458276.png

What's the minimum acceptable threshold ?

1642389534966.png

because 50 would be too much.. ;)

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Second this - while its a ton of duplicate functionality to the OS, and flys against my "but I do Linux anyway", automating as much of the basic setup and maintenance the better.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second this - while its a ton of duplicate functionality to the OS, and flys against my "but I do Linux anyway", automating as much of the basic setup and maintenance the better.
Yeah I agree I am a *nix guy also and live on the cli for a lot of my time and it's really the easiest thing for me to deal with but there are a lot of users that just want to plug something in and configure like a normal appliance. Some of the rpi configuration stuff you can enable within an image, but the timezone, networking etc need some other way to get to them besides the CLI. I think with several of the board options the hardware options are available its how do we get the software to that next step. I was just working on some configuration scripts and just was thinking about it.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just merged stepper driver for dosing system in reef-pi. This is an initial implementation of stepper based dosing system in reef-pi that should not break any existing dosing setup.
Users will be able to choose either dc motor or stepper as their dosing system driver. The stepper implementation is pretty low level and requires users to specify pins, delay , steps per rotation etc. it is intended to be used with dev8225 chips. I have tested it with a 42 step, dosing pump (30$ on Amazon). So far ita working ok .
My plan is to stabilize the stepper driver and fix all the outstanding ui and macro bugs in reef/pi as first priority. If things work out, it will provide a robust foundation for automated titration .

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back