reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

marekd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranjib,

Thanks for the latest release. Just wanted to report that Dosing functions/events are not being reported under MQTT.

Is this something that can be addressed in the future?

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Raspberry Pi Boot from USB

My understanding that it only works with Raspberry Pi 2B v1.2 and up My Reef-pi is running on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2

Anyone do this?
I ran that way for awhile, it does work, but I ended up just going with a high endurance card.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran that way for awhile, it does work, but I ended up just going with a high endurance card.
So .. just like my laptop post.. I have way to many sitting in a box..

Once flashed does it still need the SD card or will it boot with out it?

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the model, here is a blurb -

This article primarily focuses on booting a Raspberry PI 4, 400 and Compute Module 4 from a USB drive. However, with a little trick, you can reap the same benefits if you own an older model such as a Raspberry PI 1, 2, 3 or Zero. The trick involves moving the root file system (/) to a USB drive and just leave the boot file system (\boot) on the SD card.

from here - https://www.pragmaticlinux.com/2021/12/directly-boot-your-raspberry-pi-4-from-a-usb-drive/

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranjib,

Thanks for the latest release. Just wanted to report that Dosing functions/events are not being reported under MQTT.

Is this something that can be addressed in the future?
Absolutely. This is just something i overlooked, not an intended thing. I'll add it in the issue tracker and get it done before the next release. Thank you for reporting it

DWKDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, to further clarify my 12v DC doser pumps not working with 5.2 revision:

The dosing graphs show the dosers amounts as normal.
The 12v DC pumps do NOT run.

So it appears everything is working, but in fact I got no dosing at all for days. Reverting back to 5.1 revision fixed the issue. If you run 5.2 revision, CHECK YOUR DC PUMPS TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE RUNNING!

Moises Longhi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So it appears everything is working, but in fact I got no dosing at all for days. Reverting back to 5.1 revision fixed the issue. If you run 5.2 revision, CHECK YOUR DC PUMPS TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE RUNNING!
Hi! Here I am using 12v dc pumps, and they are working perfectly, I use them with the PCA9685 controller connected to a board with 4 MOSFETs that control the 4 dosing heads.

Attachments

• 431A88F4-DBD4-4300-8F09-E5CFAC3CD432.jpeg
    431A88F4-DBD4-4300-8F09-E5CFAC3CD432.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 61
  • 3439E414-C5D1-41FB-AA57-7C7014D0CF5C.jpeg
    3439E414-C5D1-41FB-AA57-7C7014D0CF5C.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 67

Coolhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a question, I just upgraded to reef pi 5.2, everything went well except that the reef pi UI keeps restarting every 9 to 10 seconds. The pi doesn't restart, just the UI. Only changes made were a second float switch was added, protein skimmer was added at the refugium plug spot, name changed and trimmers deleted. Another change was I enabled Adafruit.io, that is where things took a turn for the worse. I can access the UI from another phone or computer, but only for like 10 seconds before it reboots the interface is unavailable until reboot time has ended then it's available for 10 seconds and then it isn't available. So what's up with that?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just had a similar issue but in a weirder way. 2 of 4 pumps attached via l298n boards to the same PCA9685 board worked perfectly fine, the other two didn't and then suddenly did a couple hours later, continued to work only intermittently for presumably several days. There was no signal coming out of the PCA9685 ports of the latter two pumps some of the time, not when switched out with a fresh PCA9685 board either. And it wasn't the l298 boards, switched them up and the error stayed with the signal lines. Went through all the wiring with a multimeter and just got more confused, in the end i downgraded to 5.1 and it worked again

Yeah i noticed when my dKH was at 5.5 :/ But at least the only corals showing STN are weeds anyway

Last edited:

ReeferLou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a similar issue but in a weirder way. 2 of 4 pumps attached via l298n boards to the same PCA9685 board worked perfectly fine, the other two didn't and then suddenly did a couple hours later, continued to work only intermittently for presumably several days. There was no signal coming out of the PCA9685 ports of the latter two pumps some of the time, not when switched out with a fresh PCA9685 board either. And it wasn't the l298 boards, switched them up and the error stayed with the signal lines. Went through all the wiring with a multimeter and just got more confused, in the end i downgraded to 5.1 and it worked again

Yeah i noticed when my dKH was at 5.5 :/ But at least the only corals showing STN are weeds anyway
I now the Reef-Pi only has the 2 PWM outputs jacks available. Is the issue related those two hardware timers (GPIO18 & GPIO19)?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now the Reef-Pi only has the 2 PWM outputs jacks available. Is the issue related those two hardware timers (GPIO18 & GPIO19)?
No, thepi internal PWM0 and PWM1 are attached to my fragtank light, no pumps. (you can change the pins they run on btw, they have a couple alternate pin assignments) All of currently 4 pumps are attached to the same PCA9685 PWM driver which is attached to the pi over I2C, two pumps worked only ittermittently, two others worked all the time. No idea why.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
062A0678-6D58-496F-896F-5E7B8C24DB89.jpeg

My main display tank stats … ph drop indicates water change
Here are some of mine...

graf-1.png

graf-2.png

Fun Fact I have alerts on return pump power and ato storage so I get text messages when either one hits a threshold. I have been testing some of @robsworld78 PH monitor and can say positively that they are a nice piece of hardware, the one I had used previously was getting interference and had lots of spikes, the new one from Rob works like a treat. I also have a newer version to test out also, hopefully have that up and working but here is a close up of my PH for a day with drops where I carbon dosed (drop ph when dosing vinegar):

Screenshot at 2022-03-22 22-41-41.png

Now if I could just get it to help with the algae and other tank issues I have things would be great :)

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some of mine...

graf-1.png

graf-2.png

Fun Fact I have alerts on return pump power and ato storage so I get text messages when either one hits a threshold. I have been testing some of @robsworld78 PH monitor and can say positively that they are a nice piece of hardware, the one I had used previously was getting interference and had lots of spikes, the new one from Rob works like a treat. I also have a newer version to test out also, hopefully have that up and working but here is a close up of my PH for a day with drops where I carbon dosed (drop ph when dosing vinegar):

Screenshot at 2022-03-22 22-41-41.png

Now if I could just get it to help with the algae and other tank issues I have things would be great :)
Thanks for sharing, it's nice to see my circuit was an improvement, it always makes me feel good that it's doing better than others considering how much effort I put into it.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 102 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back