reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

gordan101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all quick question is there a TDS meter for ro units I can use with the reef pi? Or could someone pointe in the right direction? A notification about TDs creep would make life far easier

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried upgrading an older version of reef-pi using "wget -c https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/download/5.3/reef-pi-5.3-pi0.deb" followed by "sudo dpkg -i reef-pi-5.3-pi0.deb" and when I run the
sudo systemctl status reef-pi.service command I get this

reef-pi.service - raspberry pi based reef tank controller
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/reef-pi.service; disabled; vendor preset:
Active: inactive (dead)
lines 1-3/3 (END)

I tried rebooting and tried it again while running "sudo apt-get remove -y --purge reef-pi" first. Same result....

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Schreiber wondering if Leviathan 1.1 ORP can be used as Ph. I have your original leviathan, it looks like the main difference is we don’t need to BYOBuckconverters?

Hey there Dan, just now saw this tag!

Yeah, those ports are interchangeable. You can use the ORP input as a 2nd pH input if you'd like!

And yeah, the onboard power conversion is definitely the biggest difference.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried upgrading an older version of reef-pi using "wget -c https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/download/5.3/reef-pi-5.3-pi0.deb" followed by "sudo dpkg -i reef-pi-5.3-pi0.deb" and when I run the

lines 1-3/3 (END)

I tried rebooting and tried it again while running "sudo apt-get remove -y --purge reef-pi" first. Same result....
Just went through the pain staking process of doing a clean install for the same thing to occur. I also has some issues getting ssh setup... kept giving me a password denied no matter what I did. Even changed keyboard types and tried connecting from my phone.... Im dying here.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went through the pain staking process of doing a clean install for the same thing to occur. I also has some issues getting ssh setup... kept giving me a password denied no matter what I did. Even changed keyboard types and tried connecting from my phone.... Im dying here.
This has been touched on and off in the thread but Rob has a good document that walks you through setting things up and there is an initial script that you can run that walks you through the setup - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t9majBpGlqKacDjkyEZ1HQNWsTRo3woZ/edit

The configuration script can be used for non robotank installs also...

Highly recommended when starting out, should allow you to get things going pretty quickly. :)

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been touched on and off in the thread but Rob has a good document that walks you through setting things up and there is an initial script that you can run that walks you through the setup - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t9majBpGlqKacDjkyEZ1HQNWsTRo3woZ/edit

The configuration script can be used for non robotank installs also...

Highly recommended when starting out, should allow you to get things going pretty quickly. :)
Just frustrating because I have setup like 5-6 of these things and suddenly SSH doesn't seem to want to work. Wondering if its Mac related but I will give it a shot

Thanks!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lines 1-3/3 (END)

What does the log says. That will indicate the exact error , we need that

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the log says. That will indicate the exact error , we need that
Which log file?

Even when I run it per Robotank instructions I get a crash and checking the status yields
Unit reef-pi.service could not be found.

Syncing time ...takes less than 1 minute
Updating Raspberry Pi Operating System ...takes 1-30 minutes
client_loop: send disconnect: Broken pipe

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After that failed I tried the original upgrade instructions with wget and still get

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/reef-pi.service; disabled; vendor pres>

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for duplicate posts... I tried 5.2 and it worked. Going to do a setup for an RODI controller tomorrow so let me know which logs are needed and how to get them (tech idiot here) and I can help debug.

Also what value of Hysteresis should be acceptable for temperature? I have tried everything from decimal values to 100,000 so I figure its another annoying bug.... It won't let me control my temp unless I have a valid value and I can't find one...

Last edited:

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for duplicate posts... I tried 5.2 and it worked. Going to do a setup for an RODI controller tomorrow so let me know which logs are needed and how to get them (tech idiot here) and I can help debug.

Also what value of Hysteresis should be acceptable for temperature? I have tried everything from decimal values to 100,000 so I figure its another annoying bug.... It won't let me control my temp unless I have a valid value and I can't find one...
That hysteresis is a UI bug if I remember correctly.

See here for example. I think it was fixed in 5.3, but I'm not sure.

The solution is to also enter a chiller threshold higher than the heater threshold and/or create an empty macro that you enter as a chiller. Afterwards you can enter the heater hysteresis without a problem I think.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an ato alert today morning .
4429B2BE-7D4D-484B-A720-3FCC6A1496E6.jpeg

Was surprised as I filled it up two days back , and generally it takes a week or so to exhaust the reservoir. Anyway, after close inspection, found the culprit :)
BC031698-B529-4EE8-B4AE-0EFDCE1764E9.jpeg

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now that i have spotted this dude red handed, im rethinking if all those weird ato behaviors were due to bad float switch or some other issues like this.. anyhow.. i kinda rely on the alert mechanism heavily, even for normal chores (like ato reservoir empty),,,,

Coolhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, i have had this working before but cant seem to get it working now. I am trying to get the email to text feature working and it isnt sending the emails. I have 2 factor set up with my app password and still nothing. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, i have had this working before but cant seem to get it working now. I am trying to get the email to text feature working and it isnt sending the emails. I have 2 factor set up with my app password and still nothing. Any thoughts?
you see any error in the log when you hit the test email button?

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please help me out, should be simple. I've changed router and my pi doesn't have a LAN port, I've also set the PI's IP address as static, so it won't automatically show up on the new router, I can access with the old router though. How do I set it up on the new router? Via putty?

Coolhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing! I have contacted my cell phone company and they are sending me new sim cards. Hopefully that fixes the leak problem.
Nothing at all. It was like the text messages were sent and stuck in limbo, of course i found this out this morning when i called my cell phone provider. I could text and call from both of my numbers but i could not receive texts or calls from either of my numbers or anyone else's numbers for that matter. No sms gateway set up it seemed.

Raf714

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are trying to mail via a google account, it is blocked by google because it is send from a not trusted app. I have the same problem here.

BSA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please help me out, should be simple. I've changed router and my pi doesn't have a LAN port, I've also set the PI's IP address as static, so it won't automatically show up on the new router, I can access with the old router though. How do I set it up on the new router? Via putty?
You don't need Putty, just copy "wpa_supplicant.conf" (here you update your wifi name and password) to boot drive of your memory card. put back memory card to the Pi and fire it up. I had just sucessfully update my password.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need Putty, just copy "wpa_supplicant.conf" (here you update your wifi name and password) to boot drive of your memory card. put back memory card to the Pi and fire it up. I had just sucessfully update my password.
Actually I don't want to remove the Sd card as it's a pain to access. I think no I know what to edit it should be possible Via putty.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back