reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
thanks for the feed back
still no progress
i reinstalled raspberry pi from scratch, followed all the steps in the guides to update and installed reef-pi 2.4 pi3
i got the three GPIO working as equipment to test connections and were all (Pic attached)
i removed outlets 18 and 19 and tried to add Jack at channel 0 or 1 but both give me error
i added lights but are not working
i attached the log running (sudo journalctl -fu reef-pi.service)

1- GPIO 18-19-24 working as outlets.jpg

2- GPIO 18-19-24 LED on.jpg

3- adding Jack failed at 0 channel.jpg

4- adding Jack failed at 1 channel.jpg

5- blue light added but not working.jpg

6- journal output.jpg
Don’t reset reef-pi or raspbian, that will only make it harder for me to diagnose the exact issue. Let’s take a methodical approach ,
1) can you change the rpi pwm frequency in configuration page , say 1000 and reboot
2) share the log if you see error after that . Run this two commands and share the output
Code:
cat /says/class/pwm/pwmchip0/pwm1/duty_cycle

cat /says/class/pwm/pwmchip0/pwm1/period

ummwhy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone having issues with AIO telemetry? I keep getting this error "Please set a valid adafruit.io key" after coping and pasting directly what's on the webpage with tc- prefix

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone having issues with AIO telemetry? I keep getting this error "Please set a valid adafruit.io key" after coping and pasting directly what's on the webpage with tc- prefix
You should not use any prefix (tc- for example) in the key. The key should be used as it is

MichaelA18454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone help me troubleshoot a Temp Sensor Probe DS18b20. It was working fine, I rebooted the pi and it went missing.
Red - GPIO 1, Yellow - GPIO 4, Black - Ground GPIO 6 4.7ohm resistor. I tried resetting the database using
sudo systemctl stop reef-pi.service
sudo rm -f /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db
sudo systemctl start reef-pi.service
with no luck

I have found the same thing many times, I leave the "Reboot" well alone. Every time I implement this, I also have to reset "service" and some how delete and reinstall the device.

Alaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, you are not the only one with this issue, see page 529, maybe go true the tread and you find the solution.
upload_2019-7-9_10-38-58.png
Hi,
I knew that others are having the same issue, i did search the thread and came with no clear solution but rather workaround

the Fix.jpg

Alaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t reset reef-pi or raspbian, that will only make it harder for me to diagnose the exact issue. Let’s take a methodical approach ,
1) can you change the rpi pwm frequency in configuration page , say 1000 and reboot
2) share the log if you see error after that . Run this two commands and share the output
Code:
cat /says/class/pwm/pwmchip0/pwm1/duty_cycle

cat /says/class/pwm/pwmchip0/pwm1/period
Hi
Your continuous advise and help to others in getting reef-pi running is highly appreciated
I changed rpi frequency to 1000 and rebooted with no trouble
still got the same error when i tried to add jack with rpi as driver, log attached with the output from the 2 commands

I'll be using pca9685 to control lights, so I'm fine with rpi not working for reef-pi 2.4, but if you want to solve the issue fro others and need me to do modifications or run other diagnostics, I'm happy to follow.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Your continuous advise and help to others in getting reef-pi running is highly appreciated
I changed rpi frequency to 1000 and rebooted with no trouble
still got the same error when i tried to add jack with rpi as driver, log attached with the output from the 2 commands

I'll be using pca9685 to control lights, so I'm fine with rpi not working for reef-pi 2.4, but if you want to solve the issue fro others and need me to do modifications or run other diagnostics, I'm happy to follow.
I’ll definitely verify this in next week and report back

MichaelA18454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running Reef-Pi for almost a week with a heater and ATO running on a Pi-Zero. Now after going through installing the Lighting and Doser modules as per the Adafruit instructions, I decided to delete the Lighting modules and then I lost WiFi comms. Looking for a reason, I found the controller had stopped with nothing working on the Pi-Zero. I then reset "Service" and then after being able to reconnect to theReef-Pi, I found all the modules had been deleted, now showing a blank setup. So, I obviously haven't grasped the setup, and now I need to figure out what I am doing wrong. My first thought was towards overloading the Pi-Zero with too many modules. Maybe the Pi-Zero is only capable of just heater and ATO. I did read somewhere the intent is to minimised the number of modules and adopt multiple Pi's to achieve the total control. Would it be fair to say this is true and that I need to be more aware of CPU/Memory. If so where can I read about health check? Any other thought on what I may have not considered?
Cheers

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running Reef-Pi for almost a week with a heater and ATO running on a Pi-Zero. Now after going through installing the Lighting and Doser modules as per the Adafruit instructions, I decided to delete the Lighting modules and then I lost WiFi comms. Looking for a reason, I found the controller had stopped with nothing working on the Pi-Zero. I then reset "Service" and then after being able to reconnect to theReef-Pi, I found all the modules had been deleted, now showing a blank setup. So, I obviously haven't grasped the setup, and now I need to figure out what I am doing wrong. My first thought was towards overloading the Pi-Zero with too many modules. Maybe the Pi-Zero is only capable of just heater and ATO. I did read somewhere the intent is to minimised the number of modules and adopt multiple Pi's to achieve the total control. Would it be fair to say this is true and that I need to be more aware of CPU/Memory. If so where can I read about health check? Any other thought on what I may have not considered?
Cheers
I think this is something related to sdcard corruption. You won’t be able to overload the pi zero even with all modules enabled (unless you are also using the GUI/desktop). And even if it’s overloaded that won’t cause the database to be wiped out, that’s only possible if you delete the database or sd card corruption.

MichaelA18454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ranjib for your response, the controller was running as expected.
Your comment towards SDcard corruption, specifically pointing to the database and yet Reef-Pi was unaffected, as the controller is up and running in blank form after a "Service" reset??
Only the database and nothing else for SDcard corruption?
In a previous post I said I don't implement "RELOAD" because every time I do, I have to reset "Service" Could this be another reason for loosing the database?
Hugh thanks for your effort and time in sharing such a great opportunity for DIY Reefers.

janos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to all,am running my reef-pi almost 2 year long from USB and never ever had any problem.Before i run from sd card and problem come every day from wrong shut down and all kind of (my mistake) USB is the safest to me.RPI 3 B+

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ranjib for your response, the controller was running as expected.
Your comment towards SDcard corruption, specifically pointing to the database and yet Reef-Pi was unaffected, as the controller is up and running in blank form after a "Service" reset??
Only the database and nothing else for SDcard corruption?
In a previous post I said I don't implement "RELOAD" because every time I do, I have to reset "Service" Could this be another reason for loosing the database?
Hugh thanks for your effort and time in sharing such a great opportunity for DIY Reefers.

Out of curiosity; do you reboot after adding a module? If by "RELOAD" you mean reboot then that may be the issue.

MichaelA18454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Crusso, Yes, I meant "REBOOT". I add all the modules and "UPDATE" but find I have to reset "Service" if I implement "REBOOT" I'm not sure what this is for or if part of the save configuration. So, I haven't been implementing this, I just do a power cycle and see if the modules persist. As an addition, I found the modules previously setup were all gone after I lost comms and reset Service. It might point to me not actually saving the modules at the onset in "Configuration" What's the Reload Reboot for?
Cheers

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! Quick question and I’m sorry if this has been answered already.... I have never used any kind of aquarium controller before. Do I need a heater without an internal thermostat in order for Reef-Pi to control it? Will my Cobalt Neotherm heaters work with Reef-Pi?

Thank very much!

-Fish Fan

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Crusso, Yes, I meant "REBOOT". I add all the modules and "UPDATE" but find I have to reset "Service" if I implement "REBOOT" I'm not sure what this is for or if part of the save configuration. So, I haven't been implementing this, I just do a power cycle and see if the modules persist. As an addition, I found the modules previously setup were all gone after I lost comms and reset Service. It might point to me not actually saving the modules at the onset in "Configuration" What's the Reload Reboot for?
Cheers

It's my understanding that rebooting is necessary after adding or changing modules. I have a suspected understanding as to why but, since I am not certain, will not comment on it.

I am sure we will hear from @Ranjib regarding the "rebooting".

MacSakkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! Quick question and I’m sorry if this has been answered already.... I have never used any kind of aquarium controller before. Do I need a heater without an internal thermostat in order for Reef-Pi to control it? Will my Cobalt Neotherm heaters work with Reef-Pi?

Thank very much!

-Fish Fan

Hi it will work. I prefer the thermostat heater. Just set the thermostat one degree higher. In the unlikely event that something goes wrong it will shut the heater off preventing that the tank overheats

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi it will work. I prefer the thermostat heater. Just set the thermostat one degree higher. In the unlikely event that something goes wrong it will shut the heater off preventing that the tank overheats
I thought so, just wanted to be sure. Thank you for the reply!

-FF

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers
If by reset you mean you are deleting database, then yes you will loose all your previous configuration. Don’t resent database unless you are updating major version or something it really broken

MichaelA18454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ranjib, Please let me clarify my situation, I select configuration, and then check Lighting and doses, press UPDATE and then go to admin and select reboot as per the instructions. Then I am disconnected from the UI and am required to enter my http://reeftank to initiate the UI, BUT now the UI will not connect. I then use Putty to:
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db
And then I can connect to the UI once more.
Once I have done this the Doser and Lighting are NOT selected in Configuration, and so I choose not the go through admin "REBOOT" and continue with the build. And this is where that after a week the UI stops working, and again I need to do the :
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db
Again to get the UI working, and again the Doser and Lighting are once again not selected, and I have lost ALL the setup modules.
You suggest this is caused from a corrupt SDcard? Then should I start over from installing NOOBS?
Cheers

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back