reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

BenB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db

This commando delete the database, that is why you have no lighting nor doser afterwards.

PaulJ2303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I want to start on the second part of my Reef-Pi project which is the power controller. Unfortunately here in the UK i cant use the power strip you guys use in the guides, it's the wrong type of plug and would also cost me a fortune to get over here.

is there anyone in the UK who's built this unit and what parts did you use ?
Thanks for any help you can be.

MichaelA18454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This commando delete the database, that is why you have no lighting nor doser afterwards.
Thanks Ben, then that explains that. Then I can't figure out why selecting "REBOOT" crashed the controller. I have tried many times but can't get past this point.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I want to start on the second part of my Reef-Pi project which is the power controller. Unfortunately here in the UK i cant use the power strip you guys use in the guides, it's the wrong type of plug and would also cost me a fortune to get over here.

The ones I can recall from UK/Oz are all scratch builds, using relays and receptacles.
From 3.0 onwards you can use Kasa/tplink based smart plugs

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ben, then that explains that. Then I can't figure out why selecting "REBOOT" crashed the controller. I have tried many times but can't get past this point.
Can you elaborate what you mean by crash? You are expected to see the red UI dialog while the pi power cycle, relays might be turned on/off during this.

MichaelA18454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate what you mean by crash? You are expected to see the red UI dialog while the pi power cycle, relays might be turned on/off during this.

Hi Ranjib, Thanks for reaching out, today I decided to do a complete rebuild, reformatting and checking the SDcard and then proceeded to install Rasbian lite and reef-pi. Unfortunately I am getting the same condition.
I see the condition after I go into Configuration, check Lighting, Doser and the PCA9685 and press "UPDATE".
I then go to admin and press "REBOOT", this causes an instant error stating I have been disconnect.
When I attempt to re-log in to Reef-pi UI in a browser, I see "loading" in the top left hand corner of the window and eventually get cannot connect.
I can connect to the controller using Putty, and see it connected to the network, but not a browser.
This is where I use Putty to:
sudo systemctl stop reef-pi.service
sudo systemctl start reef-pi.service
This allows me to reconnect to Reef-pi again.
As suggested, this is why I loose the selections in "Configuration"

BenB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a pca9685 board connected to the pi? You need to if you enable pca9685.

If you do not have the pca9685 board than do not enable pca9685 but rather use the pi pwm ports

MichaelA18454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a pca9685 board connected to the pi? You need to if you enable pca9685.

If you do not have the pca9685 board than do not enable pca9685 but rather use the pi pwm ports

Hi Ben, I do have the PCA9685 board, but haven't progressed to connecting it up. I will try that. Thanks for the suggestion

ph123uk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I got these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32997848522.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6a9f4c4dPwngLU

Will be manually wiring them up and using relays and a ULN chip as specified in the tutorials :) - you are essentially making your own powerstrip - and each plug will be controlled by a single wire (on the ADJ strip, these wires are encased in a single cable)

Hope that helps

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some development updates,
we got chinese and portugese translations merged this week, which means Chinese/Portugese users will be able to use reef-pi ui in their native language :) . All the contributions came from github community .. i dont know if the authors are here in r2r, if you are, thank you so much . Internationalization and localization is something i hold dear. In 3.0 we are doing some ground work for internationalization, hopefully in 4.0 we'll do some work on localization.

I continued to make small progress on the other 3.0 feature matrix. Since and random pwm profiles are now merges in master, for those of you who are following, these features will be used for wavemaker or lights... pretty anything thats connected via a jack or variable voltage output. Next i'll focus on combining random + dirunal profile, i believe this something commercal manufacturers are calling as reef crest. After that I may work on the last pwm profile which is composite. With composite multiple profiles can be combined, things like nutrient export and other modes can be recreated with this.
Here is a screenshot of the random profile output (graph generated via google spreadsheet)
Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 10.41.03 AM.png

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we got chinese and portugese translations merged this week, which means Chinese/Portugese users will be able to use reef-pi ui in their native language :) . All the contributions came from github community .. i dont know if the authors are here in r2r, if you are, thank you so much . Internationalization and localization is something i hold dear. In 3.0 we are doing some ground work for internationalization, hopefully in 4.0 we'll do some work on localization.

I continued to make small progress on the other 3.0 feature matrix. Since and random pwm profiles are now merges in master, for those of you who are following, these features will be used for wavemaker or lights... pretty anything thats connected via a jack or variable voltage output. Next i'll focus on combining random + dirunal profile, i believe this something commercal manufacturers are calling as reef crest. After that I may work on the last pwm profile which is composite. With composite multiple profiles can be combined, things like nutrient export and other modes can be recreated with this.
Here is a screenshot of the random profile output (graph generated via google spreadsheet)
That's pretty sweet but I'm still looking for the lunar PWM profile! I think this will be a game changer to come on when the moon is upon the day and time and be as bright as the moon should be in %!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty sweet but I'm still looking for the lunar PWM profile! I think this will be a game changer to come on when the moon is upon the day and time and be as bright as the moon should be in %!
How it is different from diurnal or sine or any other pwm profile? Do you have any reference to the intensity profile (graph) that I can refer?

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How it is different from diurnal or sine or any other pwm profile? Do you have any reference to the intensity profile (graph) that I can refer?
It is the same as the sine. The only difference is that it needs to pull from the moon data for time of moon rose and moon set for my zip code/area and the % full for the intensity. Something like this needs to be used to calculate it https://grafana.com/plugins/fetzerch-sunandmoon-datasource or just full from some website like https://www.mooncalc.org/#/49.495,11.073,3/2019.07.13/16:58/1/3 which has an API.

brandon clow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I seen this commit today and it made my day. Keep up the great work!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the same as the sine. The only difference is that it needs to pull from the moon data for time of moon rose and moon set for my zip code/area and the % full for the intensity. Something like this needs to be used to calculate it https://grafana.com/plugins/fetzerch-sunandmoon-datasource or just full from some website like https://www.mooncalc.org/#/49.495,11.073,3/2019.07.13/16:58/1/3 which has an API.

Im reluctant on relying on 3rd party/external system for the data part. Also im curious if adding arbitrary lat/long makes sense, since most corals that we keep are tropical. I do want to have some gps aware things, and I think biotopes might be a good candidate to run such experiments, but even in those cases the data should not vary a lot and probably we'll always have a robust locally configurable/dynamic profile with no external dependencies. Im still looking for graphs that I can use for building this profile. The website you shared provide moon's relative location compared to earth (astronomical data), not observed moonlight intensity/spectrum. I need the later,

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Im reluctant on relying on 3rd party/external system for the data part. Also im curious if adding arbitrary lat/long makes sense, since most corals that we keep are tropical. I do want to have some gps aware things, and I think biotopes might be a good candidate to run such experiments, but even in those cases the data should not vary a lot and probably we'll always have a robust locally configurable/dynamic profile with no external dependencies. Im still looking for graphs that I can use for building this profile. The website you shared provide moon's relative location compared to earth (astronomical data), not observed moonlight intensity/spectrum. I need the later,

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be sufficient to have the sine set where it increments forward by about an hour each day? That would give it close to a monthly cycle (realistically could get closer to true cycle if needed).
Additionally be able to set min/max and where in the cycle to start that day (only needed to "sync" to current moon phase.)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back