reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could you share the product you used ?
Thanks

GE 1 silicone

Also the probes that I have are the ones @Bigtrout linked. Very accurate, I have 3. Two are within 0.1 of each other one is within 0.3.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome news! Wish I was home to test it today, will have to wait until Sunday though.
So far so good! I loaded 3.0 release last night and everything running smoothly!

Now when @Ranjib gets a bit of time I need to learn how to get into the lighting profiles the ui dont show yet.

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes here they are:

Good quality insulation. The sensors have been spot on accurate. I bought 4 and all 4 are within .1 degrees of each other and accurate against a calibrated sensor from work. And the stainless is quality and double crimped to the cable. The cables are also shielded.

GE 1 silicone

Also the probes that I have are the ones @Bigtrout linked. Very accurate, I have 3. Two are within 0.1 of each other one is within 0.3.

Thanks guys! When you said dipped in silicone I was thinking something comparable to Plasti Dip. I think the idea of heat shrink tube and seal up the edges with silicone it a solid approach.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks guys! When you said dipped in silicone I was thinking something comparable to Plasti Dip. I think the idea of heat shrink tube and seal up the edges with silicone it a solid approach.

Yeah that's what I did. Heatshrink over the crimp then dipped in silicone. Overkill? Probably, but I'll never have to worry about water penetration.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone make or like a guide to do pH calibration via the UI then reset the values so the graph looks right
I’m in process of updating the guides , so may be a couple of days at max till you have that in adafruit.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I just purchased a reef-pi hat goby.

I noticed he also had a module for the Mars aqua. Would this work to control the viparspectra lights?

Thanks
The Mike Lane hats make reef pi alot easier to get up and running.
You would have to open your Vivaspectra to see how its controlled, post some pics so we could hazard a guess. Alot of black boxes are controlled like the Mars Aqua. Mikes board takes the pwm signal from the pca9685 on his hat and converts it to a 0 to 10 volt analog signal which the mars Aqua and many other black box lights use for dimming. There are some black box lights that use 10 volt pwm for dimming which would need a different setup.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Mike Lane hats make reef pi alot easier to get up and running.
You would have to open your Vivaspectra to see how its controlled, post some pics so we could hazard a guess. Alot of black boxes are controlled like the Mars Aqua. Mikes board takes the pwm signal from the pca9685 on his hat and converts it to a 0 to 10 volt analog signal which the mars Aqua and many other black box lights use for dimming. There are some black box lights that use 10 volt pwm for dimming which would need a different setup.
There are at least one viperspectra mod out there, documented. I think I have a link in resource page

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some inside shots of Vipars

93dd77e10541096d261d720cc6f9d309.jpg

Screenshot_20191128-182920_Photos.jpg

All I could find with a quick search.

Last edited:

stinger303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are at least one viperspectra mod out there, documented. I think I have a link in resource page
Thanks I'll go look at that page.

I'm still about a month before I cycle my tank but just want to have this completed before then.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I'll go look at that page.

I'm still about a month before I cycle my tank but just want to have this completed before then.
Did some looking for you...viparspectras have several ways of dimming...some are 10v pwm...but some are 3.3vpwm meaning they could be driven right fron the pca9685. If you get a chance do a reef pi build thread. take some good pics of the boards etc in the light and post them and you will get some good help.

Mike Kearns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So debating about picking up the black Friday kindle fire and mounting it near my tank for control/readout. Has anyone done this with a tablet? Is it worth it? Did you use it? Thanks for the input.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So debating about picking up the black Friday kindle fire and mounting it near my tank for control/readout. Has anyone done this with a tablet? Is it worth it? Did you use it? Thanks for the input.
I used to run pi touch like that,, and found its rather annoying to habe something aways on, or an extra pain to turn in on/off on demand.
I think it still a compelling thing for larger setup or setup without network.. but for most of my setup, its overcomplicates things. Im mostly on laptop/tablet/phone already.. almost always

pies666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The display features are built for raspberry pi official touchscreen, and won’t work with other displays. You can still use your display just fine, but you can’t control it via reef-pi.
Thanks for information.
I hooked up orignal 7'' rpi touchscreen but still having issues with it.

When I enable screen in reef-pi settings nothing happens. When I try moving the brightness slider the screen itself reacts just fine but the slider is not moving. Should the reef-pi display any UI on the screen with touchscreen connected or I have to use web browser anyway?
Futhermore when I reload reef-pi and when I hit Settings tab I get
"{"error":"strconv.Atoi: parsing \"169\\n\": invalid syntax"} | HTTP 404 "

I have also problem with this screen when I attach PCa9685 board. Touch function stops working. Might be any i2c address related issue? i2cdetect -y 1 shows PCA9685 correctly. It might be also problem with power supply as I have both screen and servo board powered via RPI not a separate 5V rail.
Confirmed and solved - power supply issue.

Touchscreen itself is working just fine - showing desktop, web browser.

I can't find any specific informations about touchscreen setup anywhere in this topic.

Thank You!

11.JPG

Last edited:
Back