reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crisis has been averted! Picked up the target pi 3b which is a bit of a downgrade from the b+ but it will be fine. Got it picked up as they where announcing Maryland is officially on lockdown so good timing. It took my old SD card no issues, only change was the WiFi ip is different but I expected that.

The Positive out of all of this is The eheim autofeed is wired in and works like a charm. Thanks @robsworld78 your instructions where spot on.

05C29A2F-80A9-414D-BAC5-E8218140D0B4.jpeg

youngreefer10g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get whatever pi is available easily.
I been getting along just fine with a 10 dollar pi zero w...and I have a complete build running everything I can!!
Cool my brother was a computer science major at UGA and he has a Rasberry pi I can use and he ought be able to help Me program some of it

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crisis has been averted! Picked up the target pi 3b which is a bit of a downgrade from the b+ but it will be fine. Got it picked up as they where announcing Maryland is officially on lockdown so good timing. It took my old SD card no issues, only change was the WiFi ip is different but I expected that.

The Positive out of all of this is The eheim autofeed is wired in and works like a charm. Thanks @robsworld78 your instructions where spot on.

05C29A2F-80A9-414D-BAC5-E8218140D0B4.jpeg
Woot :)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been working on a user manual but want it so everyone can contribute easily, what do you think of this @Ranjib and others?

After searching nothing touches Google documents, I have a word document stored on my account, anyone can view or edit the document using a full online editor and you don't even need a Google account. The file has privileges, if you don't have full access and you edit the document like any other and it will send the changes as 'suggestions' to everyone who has full access. When someone with full access views the file online or in desktop Word it will show all suggestions where they were put in the document and with a click of the mouse you can accept or decline it, I'm very impressed with the features.

It's setup so anyone with full privileges can give others full access and has full tracking so all users can go back in time and see who made changes and what changed.

Here's a link, there's a button at top right that will say 'suggesting' click this and you can change views. If you have full access you can suggest or hard edit.

To request full access you need to be logged into a Google account when viewing the file, you'll see a blue "Share" button top right corner, click it and a window will popup. At the bottom right corner there's a link 'Advanced', click this and you can request full access. If you like this idea @Ranjib request access and I'll let you handle the other requests that come through unless I know who they are. The nice thing is everyone can interact without full access.

So this is just a start to the manual, I plan to add a lot more along with a detailed troubleshooting section and things like how to reset password that was just above. When you go through the manual you'll see some fields have no or little info beside them because I don't know what they are so please fill them in. My English ain't no good either so lots of rewording needed too. :)

You don't have to worry about images, I can make them and overtime will reformat the layout, first I want to get everything on paper. We can also have a quick guide, wiring diagrams, etc... and overtime decide what works best.
I'll go through it and let you know. It will take some time.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are getting serious in my reef-pi box.. about to have 6 light circuits available.

I operate my box on 24v input. I have a 24v, 12v and 5v rail on the hat, as I'm controlling 24v lights along with 12v lights.

2 of them will be high current. Each will be jumper switchable to run either 24 or 12 depending on my needs. The header also has a pin for each mosfet for the control signal from the pca9685

I'm probably going to break out my w1 circuit onto this board for multiple sensor inputs.

@Ranjib is there any way to get support for a DHT11 sensor to pickup temp and humidity in the box?

IMG_20200330_201606.jpg

mr.salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

So I've decided to sell my apex and build a reef pi setup.

I'm starting with the power controller. My question is that can you write code like on apex to have your skimmer turn off when the return is off?

And also is there an on/auto/off function like on apex where auto looks like specific code you can write for the requirements of the equipment running off that outlet?

Thanks

Alex

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

I'm starting with the power controller. My question is that can you write code like on apex to have your skimmer turn off when the return is off?

And also is there an on/auto/off function like on apex where auto looks like specific code you can write for the requirements of the equipment running off that outlet?

Thanks

Alex

There are timers and macros.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

Thanks

Alex

As I have no experience with the Apex units, let me see if I understand you correctly and answer appropriately.

My question is that can you write code like on apex to have your skimmer turn off when the return is off?

You can create Macros which are a list of commands executed in order

eg
1) Turn equipment A off
2) Turn equipment B off
3) Wait 5 seconds
4) Run Macro XYZ

Still has a few minor teething problems that are getting sorted out, but a few of us have got Macros doing some very cool stuff.

is there an on/auto/off function
Yes. There are timers that you can set, Timers can activate equipment or Macros which opens up many powerful possibilities.

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I asked this before but can’t find the answer. I’m adding a second heater for redundancy. Can one temp probe control two separate outlets?
A single temperature probe can definitely control multiple heaters. Just create another Temperature control object and select the same temperature probe. You can set a different threshold to turn on an additional heater, or use the same.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A single temperature probe can definitely control multiple heaters. Just create another Temperature control object and select the same temperature probe. You can set a different threshold to turn on an additional heater, or use the same.
Was not aware you could do that

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AWC macro that I am unable to run with a timer and I am not entirely sure why. Is there any known issues with macros and timers? It runs perfectly fine manually running it through the macro tab but fails to work through a timer... Any thoughts?

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib @Michael Lane I have a suggestion. For the equipment dashboard. Instead of having vertical lines it would be easier to read with horizontal lines. It would also allow for longer names without them getting cut off. As it is it’s kind of useless because I can’t view half my equipment. I usually go to the equipment tab to see what’s on or what’s off.
BCFEDD07-EBBF-4C2F-B6B7-A5D40AE4B6D0.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back