reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

mr.salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I have no experience with the Apex units, let me see if I understand you correctly and answer appropriately.

My question is that can you write code like on apex to have your skimmer turn off when the return is off?

You can create Macros which are a list of commands executed in order

eg
1) Turn equipment A off
2) Turn equipment B off
3) Wait 5 seconds
4) Run Macro XYZ

Still has a few minor teething problems that are getting sorted out, but a few of us have got Macros doing some very cool stuff.

is there an on/auto/off function
Yes. There are timers that you can set, Timers can activate equipment or Macros which opens up many powerful possibilities.

Yeh I guess that's basically what I was after.

So for instance when I turn off my return pump with my neptune apex I have it programmed so the skimmer turns off also so it doesn't overflow.

Then when I start up the return pumps again my skimmer waits 5 mins and then starts.

I guess this can be achieved with macros?

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll go through it and let you know. It will take some time.
Ill try and peruse the manual...
I think I asked this before but can’t find the answer. I’m adding a second heater for redundancy. Can one temp probe control two separate outlets?
yes but do 2 probes, each controlling a heater outlet for extra failsafe, then if a probe goes haywire it only affects one heater!

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So for instance when I turn off my return pump with my neptune apex I have it programmed so the skimmer turns off also so it doesn't overflow.

Then when I start up the return pumps again my skimmer waits 5 mins and then starts.

yes it can.
I have a feed macro...turns off return pump, waits 720 seconds turns it back on.
I also have a water change macro, turns off return pump and heaters. and a reverse macro to turn them on when done.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature probe started dropping out. Connector is reading "active low". Is it time for a new probe?
Where is it reading active low, please post your connector page and how/where the probe is wired. The connectors for the temp probes should not even be listed on the connector page.

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is it reading active low, please post your connector page and how/where the probe is wired. The connectors for the temp probes should not even be listed on the connector page.

Pin 1 I think, or pin 0. The instructions I read many moons ago provided the instructions to add it as such.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pin 1 I think, or pin 0. The instructions I read many moons ago provided the instructions to add it as such.
Pin 0 and pin1 are jacks for PWM. Where physically(what pins...ie which gpio) do you have the temp probe wired to?
If you arent using pwm remove/delete that connector.

Temp probes wire to gpio4

Last edited:

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pin 0 and pin1 are jacks for PWM. Where physically(what pins...ie which gpio) do you have the temp probe wired to?
If you arent using pwm remove/delete that connector

So I should delete this connector?
Screenshot_20200331-191446_Chrome.jpg

youngreefer10g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alr everybody stick with me so I ordered a few things today to get started on my reef pi! (link to all products i purchased next to the product name.
Raspberry Pi Zero W starter kit from amazon ( CLICK )
Mini Breadboard ( CLICK )
Female/Male Extension ( CLICK )
Resistors ( CLICK )
This is what I've ordered so far is all of this compatible? Also what else do I need for this to do ATO, Automatic water changes, and have plugs to control.

Thanks
-Nolan

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have an example of using a macro timer...? It runs fine manually everytime but hasn't run since...
Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 8.17.55 PM.png
Is this macro reversible ? If not can you edit and make it reversible ?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AWC macro that I am unable to run with a timer and I am not entirely sure why. Is there any known issues with macros and timers? It runs perfectly fine manually running it through the macro tab but fails to work through a timer... Any thoughts?
That macro is reversible ?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib @Michael Lane I have a suggestion. For the equipment dashboard. Instead of having vertical lines it would be easier to read with horizontal lines. It would also allow for longer names without them getting cut off. As it is it’s kind of useless because I can’t view half my equipment. I usually go to the equipment tab to see what’s on or what’s off.
BCFEDD07-EBBF-4C2F-B6B7-A5D40AE4B6D0.png
Agree. I’m thinking of widget , that will allow users to click and on/off equipment straight from dashboard. But I want to do this comprehensively as part of larger ui/ux overhaul . I’ll keep you posted .

cnidus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you given any thought to remote sensors/outputs? I’m thinking of ways to allow control of AWC pumps /sensors at the mixing station away, which is physically separate from the reef-pi controller.

perhaps the jebao Wifi model for AWC in-out pumps? (But that wouldn’t allow for mixing station level sensors etc)

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AWC macro that I am unable to run with a timer and I am not entirely sure why. Is there any known issues with macros and timers? It runs perfectly fine manually running it through the macro tab but fails to work through a timer... Any thoughts?

Hey. I've explained this issue in detail in one of my previous posts.

I had exactly the same issue and discovered a work-around. It has to do with Macro needing to be reversible and then having to write the macro in reverse to get it to work.

I'll find the post and copy it here.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For sure. Then you just use teh Macros instead of Equipment control and it will do exactly that.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib @Michael Lane I have a suggestion. For the equipment dashboard. Instead of having vertical lines it would be easier to read with horizontal lines. It would also allow for longer names without them getting cut off. As it is it’s kind of useless because I can’t view half my equipment. I usually go to the equipment tab to see what’s on or what’s off.
BCFEDD07-EBBF-4C2F-B6B7-A5D40AE4B6D0.png

I have actually come to the decision that the Equipment Block in the Dashboard is not for me. I've turned it off. I rather use the Equipment Tab. I can see the whole equipment name and I can turn stuff on and off from there as well. Does more for me from one place that way.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back