reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have an example of using a macro timer...? It runs fine manually everytime but hasn't run since...
Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 8.17.55 PM.png

My post detailing my experience and workaround.

Last edited:

ahnuts72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to check the alert after on the ATO page.
So I set the check frequency to 600 seconds and set alert enabled and disable on alert and set alert after 60 seconds and after the pump kicked on it kept running till i shut it off 1 minute after the alert shutdown should have happened.
So it must not be monitoring the seconds of run time when the pump kicks on only the time it kicked on and off then extrapolates the run time from those 2 times as far as i can tell.
So make sure your check interval is less than your alert after cause the pump will just keep on running and no notification either after 60 seconds.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only just got around to updating to 3.3.1 and really, really, really, really, really, really, like that I can now copy the commands directlyfrom the update page and paste into Putty.

Really simple thing, but makes the process really easy.

Thanks guys!!!

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only just got around to updating to 3.3.1 and really, really, really, really, really, really, like that I can now copy the commands directlyfrom the update page and paste into Putty.

Really simple thing, but makes the process really easy.

Thanks guys!!!
Agree! After killing my only pi the other day I was reluctant but was still on a 3.0 pre release. I went ahead and made the jump to 3.3.1 and was great to just copy and paste. Thanks guys.

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Schreiber ’s tindie shop is open now .. I just found out :) . Super nice

Yeah! Just finished populating it yesterday evening. Didn't realize the admin approval for listings actually went through so fast, or I would've waited a few more days, lol.

Now that I've got all the first wave of the Kickstarter boards made, I figured I'd list 2 boards on Tindie to see how the process worked. Once I've got all the second wave of Kickstarter boards made, I'll start actually increasing the Tindie stock :)

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah! Just finished populating it yesterday evening. Didn't realize the admin approval for listings actually went through so fast, or I would've waited a few more days, lol.

Now that I've got all the first wave of the Kickstarter boards made, I figured I'd list 2 boards on Tindie to see how the process worked. Once I've got all the second wave of Kickstarter boards made, I'll start actually increasing the Tindie stock :)

This is on my to do list. Get one of you boards and build another, nicer looking reefpi.

ahnuts72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I messed around with the ATO settings some more and no matter how i set any of the times it will not send a notification and it will not shut off and disable it either.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you given any thought to remote sensors/outputs? I’m thinking of ways to allow control of AWC pumps /sensors at the mixing station away, which is physically separate from the reef-pi controller.

perhaps the jebao Wifi model for AWC in-out pumps? (But that wouldn’t allow for mixing station level sensors etc)
if the remote sensor has a wifi based api we can easily integrate. Its also possible that we can have reef-pi hal driver that will allow using one reef-pi's sensor data to be consumed by another reef-pi.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed an interest anomaly. Twice over the last couple of weeks, I have had my ATO reservoir run dry and the pump run constantly for a couple of hours. The first time I didn't have alerts enabled, so I enabled them if the ATO ran for more than 600 seconds. The second time it happened and I didn't recieve a single alert despite the ATO running for a few hours at night. I was a bit busy and didn't follow up and check anything besides that the Alerts tickbox was enabled and the time (600 seconds) was correct.

ThEN....... two nights ago, I suddenly started getting "ATO Usage high" alerts. I went and checked and the ATO wasn't running. I kept getting alerts all night at the 10 per hour limit that I had set. Every hour on the hour. I disabled the alert function in my ATO and continued to get them despite it being disabled and despite the ATO not running. This continued for about 12 hours then stopped.

The only thing that I can think of is that I didn't reload reef-pi after I added the alert??? Not sure, but thought I'd mention the occurrence.

ahnuts72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed an interest anomaly. Twice over the last couple of weeks, I have had my ATO reservoir run dry and the pump run constantly for a couple of hours. The first time I didn't have alerts enabled, so I enabled them if the ATO ran for more than 600 seconds. The second time it happened and I didn't recieve a single alert despite the ATO running for a few hours at night. I was a bit busy and didn't follow up and check anything besides that the Alerts tickbox was enabled and the time (600 seconds) was correct.

ThEN....... two nights ago, I suddenly started getting "ATO Usage high" alerts. I went and checked and the ATO wasn't running. I kept getting alerts all night at the 10 per hour limit that I had set. Every hour on the hour. I disabled the alert function in my ATO and continued to get them despite it being disabled and despite the ATO not running. This continued for about 12 hours then stopped.

The only thing that I can think of is that I didn't reload reef-pi after I added the alert??? Not sure, but thought I'd mention the occurrence.
I am having the same problem.
No matter how i set it up.
No matter what my times are enable alert,disable on alert,notify on alert I will get no alerts and it will not disable the pump no matter how it is set it just keeps chugging right along.
Ive also reloaded restarted and nothing will make the alerts or disable setting work.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same problem.
No matter how i set it up.
No matter what my times are enable alert,disable on alert,notify on alert I will get no alerts and it will not disable the pump no matter how it is set it just keeps chugging right along.

Have you tried a "Reload"?

Configuration > Admin > Reload > OK

ahnuts72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a "Reload"?

Configuration > Admin > Reload > OK
Yes i have reloaded and completely restarted reef-pi nothing makes it work.
To check I set my check time to 1 second and set disable time to 5 seconds and removed enough water from tank to make sure it ran for more than 5 seconds pulled the sensor out of the water to turn the pump on and it never triggered never alerted never shut the pump off.
I let the pump run for 1 minute before i turned it off before it overflowed the tank cause it was not gonna shut off by itself.
I'm waiting on another relay to cut power to my pump when a second sensor is tripped to keep from over flowing the tank but if my ato container runs dry like u my pump will just keep on running and it specifically said to not run dry or it will damage the pump.

Last edited:

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i have reloaded and completely restarted reef-pi nothing makes it work.
To check I set my check time to 1 second and set disable time to 5 seconds and removed enough water from tank to make sure it ran for more than 5 seconds and it never triggered never alerted never shut the pump off.
I let the pump run for 1 minute before i turned it off before it overflowed the tank cause it was not gonna shut off by itself.

@Ranjib @Michael Lane

As a test, I have just set my ATO to alert after 20 seconds use and I'm getting alerts. I set it to disable and it disabled.

As a second test I changed the alert time because my usage had obviously changed and troggered float switch to run ATO Pump. It didn't trigger alert or disable. Tried another 3 times and didn't work any of them. I think there is a bug here.

Definitely worked the first time, but not again since.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is somehow related to no of alerts you allow in an hour. Mine is set to 10 (default) I changed the alert time from the 390 seconds (240 in my first test - the one that worked) to 15 seconds in preparation of the time about to tick over form 14H59 to 15H00 and as the hour ticked over, I got the following message :-
Elevated ATO usage. Current usage of ATO pump (240) is for sensor 'Normal ATO' above acceptable value (15)

As at now (15H08) my actual usage is still sitting at 0

Now I'm triggering the float switch manually for more than 15 seconds to see if I get a result. Seems like it disabled the ATO. Cannot get it to repeat the action though.

ahnuts72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is somehow related to no of alerts you allow in an hour. Mine is set to 10 (default) I changed the alert time from the 390 seconds (240 in my first test - the one that worked) to 15 seconds in preparation of the time about to tick over form 14H59 to 15H00 and as the hour ticked over, I got the following message :-
Elevated ATO usage. Current usage of ATO pump (240) is for sensor 'Normal ATO' above acceptable value (15)

As at now (15H08) my actual usage is still sitting at 0

Now I'm triggering the float switch manually for more than 15 seconds to see if I get a result. Seems like it disabled the ATO. Cannot get it to repeat the action though.
Yeah I tried again and no matter what I set alert time to the pump will just run on and on till i put the sensor back in the water.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib posts coral pics to lighten the mood in this thread.
I have some neat news. A pair of angelfish successfully spawned and hatched eggs in my community tank! Dont know what to do. Let them be and nature take its course or try to move them to the empty section of the sump.
20200403_110749.jpg
20200403_110016.jpg
20200403_110713.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back