reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Freccialata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you revert back to older reef-pi or still having this issue ? I suspect it’s something to do with the newer raspbian
As I wrote in post #15,233 I unistalled the 4.3 version and I installed again 3.3.1 version.
Temperature sensors don't give any errors anymore and in the dashboard everything is fine (temperature historical and equipments).
You can see screenshot.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I have been running 24hours on 3.3.1 which I dongraded from 3.4.1 and no temp issues which I was getting multiple emails throughout the day. I believe it's something to do with the code since both unit's I have running are up to date. Not sure what changed but something is different in 3.4.1 with the 1-wire stuff not sure since you didn't update that code, but it's apparent something is amiss.

:)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I have been running 24hours on 3.3.1 which I dongraded from 3.4.1 and no temp issues which I was getting multiple emails throughout the day. I believe it's something to do with the code since both unit's I have running are up to date. Not sure what changed but something is different in 3.4.1 with the 1-wire stuff not sure since you didn't update that code, but it's apparent something is amiss.

I hear you. I’ll investigate more . My current challenge is how I can reproduce it. Just a side question, are there more than one controller attached to that sensor ?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I wrote in post #15,233 I unistalled the 4.3 version and I installed again 3.3.1 version.
Temperature sensors don't give any errors anymore and in the dashboard everything is fine (temperature historical and equipments).
You can see screenshot.
Thank you for reporting back. I’ll do some further investigation. I can’t think of anything that will cause this, but does not harm taking a deeper look, now that we know it’s in reef-pi version.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you. I’ll investigate more . My current challenge is how I can reproduce it. Just a side question, are there more than one controller attached to that sensor ?

Not sure I follow, what do you mean by more than one controller? In both setups I have 3 temp probes, one is using my old proto board the other is using a ML hat. Sorry to be so daft just need to make sure I know what information is needed.

Freccialata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imho you could reproduce the problem with a clean installation of the OS and the installation of the reef-pi 3.4 version.
I have 2 temperature sensors and the perma-proto board.
No other controller or sensors.
Just one TP-Link HS110 wifi smart plug.
No power strip.

BTW: today there was another "heavy" full-upgrade of raspbian.... at the moment no problems with reef-pi 3.3.1 version.

ahnuts72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We updated the prometheus library in 3.4. It looks like the new update does not allow metric name starting with number and thus "10g" is causing it to panic (i am assuming you have a temperature controller with name 10g). For the time being changing it to something else that does not starts with a number might fix it (e,g. TenG or IOg) or just disable prometheus from the preferences. Meanwhile I'll check if we can prevent this in reef-pi side , i.e check if the metric name is valid or not, and error instead of panic if its invalid.
It will also happen with something as simple as a period at the end of an equipment name like ATO Circ.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I follow, what do you mean by more than one controller? In both setups I have 3 temp probes, one is using my old proto board the other is using a ML hat. Sorry to be so daft just need to make sure I know what information is needed.

I meant if you have multiple temperature controller within that reef-pi that are using same sensor

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant if you have multiple temperature controller within that reef-pi that are using same sensor

Ah I think I understand, no I just have three sensors and each one only has one controller, see my screenshot. Same for both units....

Screenshot from 2020-06-03 21-15-23.png

cnidus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok small update. It seems only one of my HS300’s is not working, the other strip is working fine via reef-pi.

both strips work via the kasa app.

only difference I noticed was I had named the outlets on one strip in Kasa (return pump vs default of ‘plug 3’ etc. this is the strip that’s not working with reef-pi.

Would that have an effect on the API naming perhaps? (Will go look up the API from the hs300 reef pi driver I guess).

What else should I be doing to troubleshoot? I was avoiding removing the driver as I have macros, temps, timers etc that refer to these ports, so I’d have to remove all them first to avoid db reference issues?

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So..., I think it’s time for an upgrade. My current reefpi was built like an all in one. I crammed everything into a 6x4 box. Over the past year I have made a mess of both the inside of the box as well as the outside rats nest of wiring. I will update my build thread or start a new one but the next build in the planning stages is the “IKEA reefpi cabinet”. So far the plan is to replace the cardboard backing with something more robust. The bottom back of the cabinet will have 18 AC power outlets. 6 always on and 12 controllable. Above the power outlets there will be several power brick holders and above the brick holders I will have the fowling outlets:

4, generic PWM outlets
4, Generic Controlled relay outputs for DC anything
Auto feeder output
3, temp probes
PH probe
4 doser outputs
2 float switches.

Inside the cabinet there are 3 shelves. The bottom shelf will be all the AC electronics and relays. The middle shelf will be excess wiring and routing space. The top shelf will have all the circuitry. I will be installing a removable face plate over the front of the shelves so when you open the door all you will see is a wall with the mounted pump controllers and a fire tablet screen.

9A5D9CE0-E4C3-41F0-9606-DC97191A6F2B.jpeg CEFAE0F1-C32E-4496-A5F5-EB0017C7FA17.jpeg A42BCF7B-8586-4F49-AF6B-76D4FC23295B.jpeg

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when I first started the reefpi the standard stereo audio jacks where consistently failing for a lot of people, myself included. Did we ever source a more robust jack?

JT26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got hs300 and a chinese Black box and want to add on, however I might have to reset my reef-pi , as i haven’t login for a long time and don’t remember the password, even try the default password and can’t get in.

Can anyone give me the step to reset? I also need to upgrade to the latest version as well.

cnidus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got hs300 and a chinese Black box and want to add on, however I might have to reset my reef-pi , as i haven’t login for a long time and don’t remember the password, even try the default password and can’t get in.

Can anyone give me the step to reset? I also need to upgrade to the latest version as well.

depending how much config you have, it could be easiest to just reset the db from Linux she’ll via ssh. I believe that will Reset everything, including password back to defaults

BenB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reset DB inclusive reefpi password (SSH in to your pi and enter the 3 commands below one by one):
sudo systemctl stop reef-pi.service
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db
sudo systemctl start reef-pi.service

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok small update. It seems only one of my HS300’s is not working, the other strip is working fine via reef-pi.

only difference I noticed was I had named the outlets on one strip in Kasa (return pump vs default of ‘plug 3’ etc. this is the strip that’s not working with reef-pi.

Would that have an effect on the API naming perhaps? (Will go look up the API from the hs300 reef pi driver I guess).

What else should I be doing to troubleshoot? I was avoiding removing the driver as I have macros, temps, timers etc that refer to these ports, so I’d have to remove all them first to avoid db reference issues?
Do you see any error under the configuration section ? Try turning on the relevant equipment and check log during that time . Sometime the driver load fails due to reef-pi starting before network. Reloading reef-pi should solve that, without rebooting pi

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes . Don’t delete driver without deleting its references . It will cause mayhem. I’m trying to fix that in future release . Reef-pi will not allow deleting an entity that’s being used

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when I first started the reefpi the standard stereo audio jacks where consistently failing for a lot of people, myself included. Did we ever source a more robust jack?
I’m still using 3.5 mm audio jack. I have seen aviation connectors having good rapport. Robotank and few others are using jst type connectors .

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can stop reef-pi and use reef-pi reset-password

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reset DB inclusive reefpi password (SSH in to your pi and enter the 3 commands below one by one):
sudo systemctl stop reef-pi.service
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db
sudo systemctl start reef-pi.service
This is a very common issue. We have a dedicated command to fix it. Other than that, since reef-pi 3.2 (I think , could be 3.0) we have reef-pi dB command that can selectively update /delete /backup things . It’s all command line though

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back