reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I unplug what I think is the ground wire the light will turn on but I can't control it, it is either on or off. If I plug the ground wire in then the lights turn off immediately. Anyone else experience this?
I’ve you tried different intensity for the lights like 50% or 80%? Did you contact Mike Lane for wiring help?

BenB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for this post, the step by step you provided really helpful. finally, I can use my pH probe. I admit that this cheap pH probe perhaps lacks of accuracy if compared to ezo pH probe. But in my place, the ezo is really expensive and I can not afford it.
I still face a problem however, whenever I put my pH probe into my tank, the pH is always fluctuating. I search about it and found that I have stray voltage on my tank. do you have any suggestions to overcome this? it seems that analog isolator might be the answer, yet as it is still pricy for me, I would like to hear your opinion about this. or perhaps you have an idea about DIY analog isolator. of course, the step by step will help much :):):). Once again thank you
Yes you will need an analog signal isolater. I did not have time to dive in to it, but there are some chips that will work, with some soldering yourself to keep the costs Low. If you find something then keep us updated.

ekopapers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve you tried different intensity for the lights like 50% or 80%? Did you contact Mike Lane for wiring help?
Yes I have confirmed with him now that the ground is center one and I have it wired correctly. I have also tried all up and down the sliders and with the ground plugged in it does nothing. If I take the grounding wire out the and leave the 2 channels plugged into the hat then the lights light up at 100 percent :/ but with no control

ekopapers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have tried with a second viparspectra with the same result :/ and if I plug the main control board back into the lights it controls them normally

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help figuring out where to hook up wires on an ML hat. In the attached picture the attachments I'm having trouble with are the " V+" , "NC" , and "5V ? Also the 12v+ power connector is where the power supply power out goes right?
Screenshot_20201031-131906_Chrome.jpg

This is the relay board the ML hat is coaching.
20201031_133010.jpg

Then on the left side of the board there is a connector for 5v power. Is this 5v out?
Screenshot_20201031-132702_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

drm2215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you are setting up the PCA9865 driver for the lighting module how do you determine the address and frequency?

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help figuring out where to hook up wires on an ML hat. In the attached picture the attachments I'm having trouble with are the " V+" , "NC" , and "5V ? Also the 12v+ power connector is where the power supply power out goes right?
Screenshot_20201031-131906_Chrome.jpg

This is the relay board the ML hat is coaching.
20201031_133010.jpg

Then on the left side of the board there is a connector for 5v power. Is this 5v out?
Screenshot_20201031-132702_Chrome.jpg

Hi. I'll try help where I can. I am using the same board / HAT from Michael, but am using some things in a slightly "non-standard" way.

• Firstly NC is "Not Connected" you can ignore that pin completely - it does nothing.
  • The 12V Power pins at the bottom are the pins that give power to the "Power 2" relay pins. So if you want the Power 2 port to run 12V relays, you connect 12V to those. In my case, I'm using 5V relays, so I have 5V on those pins. It is where power comes into the HAT to drive the relays.
  • The "5V" pin on the "Power 1" goes to the VCC on the relay board those pins are driving.
  • The "V+" on the "Power 2" goes to the VCC on the relay board those pins are driving.
  • "5V Power" is where you connect 5V to run the HAT and the Raspberry Pi. With 5V connected there you do not need the Pi powered via the micro USB
Hope that helps.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any real world difference using a DS18S20 temperature sensor as opposed to a DS18B20?

Reason I'm asking is that I can get a 5m cable length here in SA in "S" version, but only 1m in the "B" version and I'd rather cut 3m off a cable than add 1m to one.

No real problem either way to me, I just have to wait longer to get a "B" in the longer cable.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any real world difference using a DS18S20 temperature sensor as opposed to a DS18B20?

Reason I'm asking is that I can get a 5m cable length here in SA in "S" version, but only 1m in the "B" version and I'd rather cut 3m off a cable than add 1m to one.

No real problem either way to me, I just have to wait longer to get a "B" in the longer cable.
Looks like you need to wait for the b

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about light control via ML hat. Is there any pre-made circuitry to transform the 3.3v PWM to 10v PWM? With my old eyes I have difficulty focusing on small circuitry. Also does the PWM signal go to zero to shut off LED power supply like Meanwell HLG-320h-c700ab? Is there a better method of control using 0-10v control via reef-pi?

Martin Lowry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about light control via ML hat. Is there any pre-made circuitry to transform the 3.3v PWM to 10v PWM? With my old eyes I have difficulty focusing on small circuitry. Also does the PWM signal go to zero to shut off LED power supply like Meanwell HLG-320h-c700ab? Is there a better method of control using 0-10v control via reef-pi?
So, I'm by no way the expert, but I bought this LED Driver board off eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1piece-5UP...b1bb346d6:g:irMAAOSwf~9ZZIey&autorefresh=true

I have not hooked it up as yet but I'm planning on using it with the PWM from ML Pi Hat and an external power supply to drive my two LED bars. BTW it may be overkill as it will run 5 channels and I only need 2, but it was not expensive.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having issues with adafruit.io on a fresh install of 3.5. I’m not getting any feeds moving over and am getting flooded with the below errors.

I have tried resetting my key a few times I put my user name, the key, and just put “reef” for the prefix.

error":"not found - that is an invalid URL, please check the API documentation at https://io.adafruit.com/api/docs to make sure your URL is correct"}

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on building a 24v relay controlled power bar to go alongside by 120v Robo-Tank AC power bar. Going to be driven by a Meanwell lrs type power supply, with barrel jacks for individual 24v pumps.

Anyways - trying to figure out a good way to have the connection between the Meanwell an the relay box - I'd rather not enclose the power supply - so I need a cord/connector that can do 10+ amps at 24v.

Anybody know what the name of this style of connector is? I'm trying to find beefier ones - but can't figure out the right search terms:

connector.png

Nerowolfe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on building a 24v relay controlled power bar to go alongside by 120v Robo-Tank AC power bar. Going to be driven by a Meanwell lrs type power supply, with barrel jacks for individual 24v pumps.

Anyways - trying to figure out a good way to have the connection between the Meanwell an the relay box - I'd rather not enclose the power supply - so I need a cord/connector that can do 10+ amps at 24v.

Anybody know what the name of this style of connector is? I'm trying to find beefier ones - but can't figure out the right search terms:

connector.png
They are commonly referred to as 'aviation connectors'.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having issues with adafruit.io on a fresh install of 3.5. I’m not getting any feeds moving over and am getting flooded with the below errors.

I have tried resetting my key a few times I put my user name, the key, and just put “reef” for the prefix.

error":"not found - that is an invalid URL, please check the API documentation at https://io.adafruit.com/api/docs to make sure your URL is correct"}

I had this issue setting AIO up on a previous version 3.XX. I tried all options and kept getting the same message. Then suddenly, it started working and is still working. I have like 41 error messages in reef-pi relating to the same issue, that I can't clear or that keep coming back, but I live with them because AIO lets me see the info in a graph format that I can see and access easily.

anzi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, have not found something here about using JBL Solar Natur & Effect combined with the reefpi and how to wire this. It's running in this condition for my tank. You may want to use this on your own risk ;)

JBL_Solar.png

Back