reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

FuzzeWuzze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib Is it required to use 7 and 10 calibration solutions, or if i use 6.86 and 9.18 solutions and enter those numbers in the boxes during calibration is it expected to have the same end result?

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im struggling to get my new ph probe to calibrate properly and its very annoying.

I have a Atlas Scientific Mini probe which is the same as their larger one in terms of accuracy just smaller.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KJQ3S1S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have premade solutions @ 6.86 and 9.18. I rinse, shake off, stick in 6.86 and leave for a few mins, then enter 6.86 into the calibration box and press run. I then rinse and shake off, stick in the 9.18 solution wait a minute then enter 9.18 into the second box and press run. Then i press Okay. I take the probe and put it in the 6.86 solution and get around 6.96, then s tick it in the 9.18 solution and get around 9.22, seems reasonable. Then i rinse it and put it back in my tank and its reading 9.14, and continously climbing now up to 9.21. There's no way my tank is at 9.2pH or else i assume everything would be dying or at least not growing as well as it is.

With my old probe from some cheapish chinese Amazon PH/temp it was reading a constant 8.4-8.6 over the last week or so. Even this probe before calibrating was reading 8.5 for several days before i got around to calibrating it.

When i use my API test kit i also read somewhere in the 8.2-8.4 range, no where near 8.8+ which is a crazy dark purple.

I've noticed a ton of errors in the background about strConv when im calibrating but im not sure if they are related or what im doing wrong with my calibration. Please help! I bought this $50 probe to ensure i was getting accurate readings, and it seems worse than the $15 one.

Im using a Robotank board.

*edit* 30 minutes later its now 9.24....

*edit* I think i need new calibration solution or something, i put it back in the 6.86 solution and its reading 7.4 and falling and my tap water is reading 7.8 when i know its around 7 from their water reports(and previous testing when making beer). Can I use 6.86 and 9.18 calibration solutions or do i have to use 7 and 10?

@Ranjib Is it required to use 7 and 10 calibration solutions, or if i use 6.86 and 9.18 solutions and enter those numbers in the boxes during calibration is it expected to have the same end result?

Hi, I'm wondering if this is happening because of some calibration data stuck in the pH circuit, I've seen something similar and this was the issue. I've read the first point buffer should always be as close to 7.0 as possible as that's 0 mv but I don't believe it's that's important, definitely shouldn't cause what you're experiencing and I don't think reef-pi cares what you use. For example if you enter 5.0 for point 1 and closed you should get 5.0 so it'll be the same with 6.86.

Can you try the following steps.

Try the following commands in the Pi terminal window.

This downloads a python script
sudo wget -c https://robo-tank.ca/Robo-Tank_pH_Script.zip

This unzips the file
sudo unzip Robo-Tank_pH_Script.zip

This runs the script
python Robo-Tank_pH_Script.py

After the last command it’ll say Enter Command: Then type in the following, must be a capital letter.

R

It should then print out a pH value, if it does you’re connected to the circuit.

Now type in the following command, must be a capital letter. This restores the defaults on the pH circuit and disables the calibration.

D

It’ll say query failed but it will have worked.

Now power down the controller and power back up.

Then in reef-pi delete the pH from pH tab and add it back. This will erase calibration data in the reef-pi database.

Now there should be no calibration happening anywhere and should get valid readings during and after calibrating.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. the calibration logic is mathematical and it does not depend on exact value. Their range (further apart) might have some implications, due to ph calibration curve

FuzzeWuzze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm wondering if this is happening because of some calibration data stuck in the pH circuit, I've seen something similar and this was the issue. I've read the first point buffer should always be as close to 7.0 as possible as that's 0 mv but I don't believe it's that's important, definitely shouldn't cause what you're experiencing and I don't think reef-pi cares what you use. For example if you enter 5.0 for point 1 and closed you should get 5.0 so it'll be the same with 6.86.

Can you try the following steps.

Try the following commands in the Pi terminal window.

This downloads a python script
sudo wget -c https://robo-tank.ca/Robo-Tank_pH_Script.zip

This unzips the file
sudo unzip Robo-Tank_pH_Script.zip

This runs the script
python Robo-Tank_pH_Script.py

After the last command it’ll say Enter Command: Then type in the following, must be a capital letter.

R

It should then print out a pH value, if it does you’re connected to the circuit.

Now type in the following command, must be a capital letter. This restores the defaults on the pH circuit and disables the calibration.

D

It’ll say query failed but it will have worked.

Now power down the controller and power back up.

Then in reef-pi delete the pH from pH tab and add it back. This will erase calibration data in the reef-pi database.

Now there should be no calibration happening anywhere and should get valid readings during and after calibrating.

Thanks i went through the process and this seems to have fixed the issue, im back at 8.4ph, and typically drop down to 8.2ish at the low so ill check tommorrow once its been through a full lights off cycle to see what it measures.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey smart electrical people. I have a question about transistors.

The background. I have found that the jebao dp4s doser is not strong enough for my ato and awc needs. (Water storage in basement half the house away from the tank). I am planning to switch to a kamoer khs 12v dosing head. The dp4 pulls about 0.15a at 12v The kamoer pulls 0.8a at 12v. I currently have a @Michael Lane dosing adapter that uses a uln2803a transistor.

I believe the uln2803a is rated for 0.5a output per channel. Can I tie two channels in parallel on input and output sides two get 1.0a? Is this enough for a motor with 0.8a requirement? Or should I tie three channels together?

if none of this will work can you suggest a transistor to use with the kamoer pump?

thanks.

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20210112-133456.png

Glorious :D

Anyone have any idea what an acceptable value for the Char Unit would be?

1610583529034.png

Last edited:

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey smart electrical people. I have a question about transistors.

The background. I have found that the jebao dp4s doser is not strong enough for my ato and awc needs. (Water storage in basement half the house away from the tank). I am planning to switch to a kamoer khs 12v dosing head. The dp4 pulls about 0.15a at 12v The kamoer pulls 0.8a at 12v. I currently have a @Michael Lane dosing adapter that uses a uln2803a transistor.

I believe the uln2803a is rated for 0.5a output per channel. Can I tie two channels in parallel on input and output sides two get 1.0a? Is this enough for a motor with 0.8a requirement? Or should I tie three channels together?

if none of this will work can you suggest a transistor to use with the kamoer pump?

thanks.

You are correct, 0.5a per channel and you can put input and output in parallel for more. If you go to page 10 you can see an example.

If you have 3 available that would be better but if it's only running short periods 2 is likely fine.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any idea what an acceptable value for the Char Unit would be?

1610583529034.png
You can leave it blank. It’s there for different sensors, for example tds sensors use mg/l.
pH is a logarithmic value and does not have unit

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
using reef-pi for couple of non reef tank related use case :)

anyone into model railroad ??

Attachments

• 60E6F27E-0DF5-4721-8064-A79CCF37AA3B.jpeg
    60E6F27E-0DF5-4721-8064-A79CCF37AA3B.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 99C576D5-7A62-4768-96E7-C2B58A736174.jpeg
    99C576D5-7A62-4768-96E7-C2B58A736174.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 6E5A7C63-4C9F-4123-B175-737E392F6350.jpeg
    6E5A7C63-4C9F-4123-B175-737E392F6350.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 43

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there everyone, I wanted to drop a quick thank you for all the work that folks have put into this project and for Ranjib for making it happen, this platform is fantastic and I'm super happy to be using it!

On thing I've had a lot of trouble with: I have a multistep Macro that I use for auto-water changes, it works great when I run it manually. However It never runs at all when I try to call it from a timer. I'm using 4.0, I'll likely update to 4.1 in the near future now that I know it's available.

Is there a log somewhere that I can take a look at to see why this timer isn't apparently doing anything? I don't mind spending some time to troubleshoot, but I can't seem to find anywhere that will tell me the what the heck is happening.
Hi

It's an old issue.

Timers triggering Macro's and Macro's triggering other Macro's can only trigger them in reverse. The Macro has to have the "make reversible" box ticked and then the Macro has to be written in reverse. Both in order and and state. I've written a detailed post of this before - I'll see if I can find it.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year to all.

My year didn't start off well, with a leaking tank, but it was just a plumbing issue from the previous owner and I have managed to sort it out.

I had to pull out all my electrical stuff to get access to where the problem was, so decided to fast-track my Robo-Tank install, which I have to say is going very well. I'm very happy with the Robo-Tank stuff.

While setting up my ATO, I tried once again to get an ATO to trigger a Macro, but I failed again. Is it just me or is this feature still buggy? I created a simple Macro turning an equipment item on for 5 sec and then back off. I then tried to trigger this with a float switch. It does not work as expected. Maybe my expectations were unrealistic. I expected it to sense the float switch (sensor) position, run the Macro if required, when the Macro is complete, to check the sensor and then run again (or not) depending on sensor status.

I did try all combinations of Macro's in reverse and "Make Reversible". I also tried the "One Shot" feature not fully realising it's ability / purpose, but figured it out soon enough.

Can anyone please confirm whether it's just me or is it possible to get an ATO to trigger a Macro.

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can leave it blank. It’s there for different sensors, for example tds sensors use mg/l.
pH is a logarithmic value and does not have unit
Hey, Ranjib, I did want to take a moment (or more than a moment, perhaps a minute) to say thank you. I just fired up my Raspberry PI 3B+ which had been sitting on my desk for a year and I really appreciate what you've done for the community with this project. So, Thank You!

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try stepping through this guide. Giving it a little kick in the pants by changing the time zone, then resetting the system may fix it. I've never seen the actually go out of sync like this though.
Yeah, it was my newbie bad. Just had to refresh the page. Guess I have to get used to some quirks. Thanks

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year to all.

My year didn't start off well, with a leaking tank, but it was just a plumbing issue from the previous owner and I have managed to sort it out.

I had to pull out all my electrical stuff to get access to where the problem was, so decided to fast-track my Robo-Tank install, which I have to say is going very well. I'm very happy with the Robo-Tank stuff.

While setting up my ATO, I tried once again to get an ATO to trigger a Macro, but I failed again. Is it just me or is this feature still buggy? I created a simple Macro turning an equipment item on for 5 sec and then back off. I then tried to trigger this with a float switch. It does not work as expected. Maybe my expectations were unrealistic. I expected it to sense the float switch (sensor) position, run the Macro if required, when the Macro is complete, to check the sensor and then run again (or not) depending on sensor status.

I did try all combinations of Macro's in reverse and "Make Reversible". I also tried the "One Shot" feature not fully realising it's ability / purpose, but figured it out soon enough.

Can anyone please confirm whether it's just me or is it possible to get an ATO to trigger a Macro.
I haven’t tried this myself. My ato is running from the ato tab only. I run a macro triggered by a timer to run awc. This is written in reverse order and is reversible.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t tried this myself. My ato is running from the ato tab only. I run a macro triggered by a timer to run awc. This is written in reverse order and is reversible.
Yeah. My ATO runs just fine as well and I've had my AWC working for over a year now. All good.

HOWEVER, I want to set up physical button to trigger a specific Macro. To run my "Feed" Macro. This should be possible if you can trigger a Macro from an ATO. The ability is there in there in the UI to chose whether you want your ATO to trigger Equipment or a Macro. I'm just unable to get it to do it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back