Reef-pi GPIO not responding

Metahollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I've just started to set-up Reef-Pi on my raspberry Model B, Rev. 2 to use it as a hydroponics control system. But I'm struggling at the beginning already. I've been through defining my output on GPIO24 and used it for my test device. But when I turn it on or off, my LED connected on the breadboard doesn't react at all. I get an error message regarding http 500 only. However, when I use a python script to adress GPIO24, the LED reacts correctly, it should be wired firmly.
Can anyone give me an advise how to fix that, please? Your support would be highly appreciated!

IMAG3015~2.jpg IMAG3017.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I've just started to set-up Reef-Pi on my raspberry Model B, Rev. 2 to use it as a hydroponics control system. But I'm struggling at the beginning already. I've been through defining my output on GPIO24 and used it for my test device. But when I turn it on or off, my LED connected on the breadboard doesn't react at all. I get an error message regarding http 500 only. However, when I use a python script to adress GPIO24, the LED reacts correctly, it should be wired firmly.
Can anyone give me an advise how to fix that, please? Your support would be highly appreciated!

IMAG3015~2.jpg IMAG3017.jpg
I'm not sure what the http 500 is but did you add an 'outlets' connector for GPIO24 and then add to the equipment tab? If it continues maybe try running the reef-pi install commands so you get a clean database and can start over.

OP
OP
Metahollica

Metahollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @robsworld78 for your support. Meanawhile, I figured out that the activated "dev mode" blocked the function of toggling my output pins This way, I could use the pins, but they didn't work obviously. I've uninstalled reef-pi and set it up again, using the pi-zero kit (as I did before already). Because I use a quite old pi model B rev. 2,the Pi-zero buildt should be the right choice regarding to @eb_reef 's thread of 2018:

However, I'm still not able to use my pins as there appers another error message "something went wrong" (acc. attached picture). Default pi-drivers seem to be loaded, analog inputs (as mentioned in the error message) are blank.

my raspbi contents following OS details:
pi@raspberryG:~ $ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="10"
VERSION="10 (buster)"
VERSION_CODENAME=buster
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian

listed drivers:
pi@raspberryG:~ $ sudo curl -b cookie.txt http://raspberryg.local/api/drivers
[{"id":"rpi","name":"Raspberry Pi","type":"rpi","config":{"frequency":150,"Dev Mode":true},"pinmap":null,"parameters":{"Dev Mode":false,"Frequency":100}}]

analog inputs
pi@raspberryG:~ $ sudo curl -b cookie.txt http://raspberryg.local/api/analog_inputs
[]

Altough I couldn't set up reef-pi yet, many thanks @Ranjib for this awesome project and all the support. I'm eager to work with further on.

Attachments

• config1.JPG
    config1.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 41

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @robsworld78 for your support. Meanawhile, I figured out that the activated "dev mode" blocked the function of toggling my output pins This way, I could use the pins, but they didn't work obviously. I've uninstalled reef-pi and set it up again, using the pi-zero kit (as I did before already). Because I use a quite old pi model B rev. 2,the Pi-zero buildt should be the right choice regarding to @eb_reef 's thread of 2018:

However, I'm still not able to use my pins as there appers another error message "something went wrong" (acc. attached picture). Default pi-drivers seem to be loaded, analog inputs (as mentioned in the error message) are blank.

VERSION_ID="10"
VERSION="10 (buster)"
VERSION_CODENAME=buster
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian

listed drivers:
[{"id":"rpi","name":"Raspberry Pi","type":"rpi","config":{"frequency":150,"Dev Mode":true},"pinmap":null,"parameters":{"Dev Mode":false,"Frequency":100}}]

analog inputs
pi@raspberryG:~ $ sudo curl -b cookie.txt http://raspberryg.local/api/analog_inputs
[]

Altough I couldn't set up reef-pi yet, many thanks @Ranjib for this awesome project and all the support. I'm eager to work with further on.
Ah yes, dev mode, as you discovered that disables all the pins, I think they have that so it's easier to work on software without needing a Pi.

Sorry I'm not much help, not sure what to suggest. If you haven't added any connectors and you get the error from a fresh install it must be some compatibility issue, I wonder if an OS update broke it, that happened once on the Pi 4.

OP
OP
Metahollica

Metahollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes, dev mode, as you discovered that disables all the pins, I think they have that so it's easier to work on software without needing a Pi.

Sorry I'm not much help, not sure what to suggest. If you haven't added any connectors and you get the error from a fresh install it must be some compatibility issue, I wonder if an OS update broke it, that happened once on the Pi 4.
I suppose my Pi doesn't have any analog inputs, doesn't it? Maybe the Pi zero has, this could explain that it's missing as I use the Zero-buildt. But if I would choose the Pi-3-buildt, I probably would get problems because I use older hardware.
Thank you so far, @robsworld78 , I'll be patient for the moment, maybe there's someone else who has another idea.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly no Pi's have analog inputs, kinda stinks. Different drivers use them that's why it's there.

The more I think about this I'm pretty sure it's OS related, this is exactly what happened to the Pi 4 a few months ago. With a fresh install of reef-pi just clicking on the connectors tab gave that same error. My guess is it affected that Pi as well but Ranjib had no way to know.

Try installing this older version of Raspbian, that should tell us if it's what I'm thinking. Just don't do any updates. :)

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

VERSION_ID="10"
VERSION="10 (buster)"
VERSION_CODENAME=buster
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian

listed drivers:

analog inputs
[]

pinmap should not be null. Something is wrong. Are you using 26 pin pi? reef-pi does not support that model. reef-pi supports 40 pin models(pi 2/3/4/zero etc).

OP
OP
Metahollica

Metahollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pinmap should not be null. Something is wrong. Are you using 26 pin pi? reef-pi does not support that model. reef-pi supports 40 pin models(pi 2/3/4/zero etc).
Hello @Ranjib , thank you very much for this quick and all-explaining answer :)
Yes, I use a Raspberry-Pi Model B rev. 2.0 (26 pins). In this case, I can either buy a newer Pi or find another way for my system. You mentioned in part 1 of the tutorial series "Pi Zero, 2, 3 and even Pi B will work", but it doesn't (anymore)?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @Ranjib , thank you very much for this quick and all-explaining answer :)
Yes, I use a Raspberry-Pi Model B rev. 2.0 (26 pins). In this case, I can either buy a newer Pi or find another way for my system. You mentioned in part 1 of the tutorial series "Pi Zero, 2, 3 and even Pi B will work", but it doesn't (anymore)?
Im sorry it doesn't . Thank you for catching this , i should update the doc. It was a mistake by me, i confused B+ as B :-( . Although this was intended (support only B+), at the time of writing reef-pi did run on B, since we had no built-in choices for pins , like we have now. Users used to type out the pin (it was a text box), but this ability is gone from the software since 3.0. There was negligible impact during that time (which is why i didnt catch the documentation error earlier), because none of the developers or community users were running 26 pin Bs. Since late 2020, i noticed some queries on B. I am happy to revisit this if there is significant appetite. It will be some work on our end, but not a huge deal. But if this is just to support older board.. probably we should skip.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, i have updated the adafruit doc to reflect B+ compatibility. Thank you again for catching that. We are already lacking on docs for new features, at least we can maintain what we support correctly.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back