Reef Pro / UPS Fiasco

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just need to vent on this as it’s been a day, thanks for bearing with me.

I’m starting the recovery process from my recent vacation tank crash and thought I’d order some fish from @Reefpro (Copperband Butterfly, Lineatus Wrasse, Rhomboid Wrasse, both males, and a Caudovittatus Angel, well over $1200 in community additions). It’s been a series of massive frustrations that might end up in a lot of pricey, beautiful fish DOA.

I originally ordered the fish for delivery this past Friday, when unfortunately Tropical Storm Nicole hit, a completely understandable reason to suspend operations and delay.

After chatting with RP, we agreed to ship on Monday for a Tuesday arrival. Except, the package didn’t go out on Monday (after another call), it was shipping out on Tuesday for Wednesday delivery. I’m generally ok with this as I WFH.

Tuesday comes, and they package and send the fish out. The package never gets registered in UPS‘ system, and I get an email notice from UPS saying they’ll update me when they receive the package. So, off to the phone again with ReefPro (I honestly have to say thank you to Zack for going above and beyond to help out this week, he must be sick of me), they‘ve been having issues with UPS as of late. Thankfully that shipment of fish was returned to RP.

Reef Pro proceeds to package up another set of fish for delivery today. UPS’ tracking page is notifying me they have the package and it’s in transit for a delivery by 12:00p today. Wonderful!

Except, I wake up this morning and see the package has been sitting in Louisville since 12am. Eventually tracking updates that the shipment will arrive TOMORROW by 12:00pm! At this point I’m livid and call UPS to try to get them to speed up the shipment, no luck whatsoever and just a whole bunch of canned responses.

Next step is to call Reef Pro to understand what my options are. I’m almost certainly expecting to open a box full of dead or near death fish. Not to mention I won’t be able to give the fish (i.e. the Copperband) as much attention/care next week as it’s a holiday week (why I originally wanted delivery last Friday (even on Tuesday), focus on addressing any health/behavior/diet concerns this week).

While it was explained they have an Arrive Alive guarantee (possibly survive even up to 24 hours), there’s no guarantee that the fish will be in survivable shape if they manage to make it 44-48 hours in the bag. I put these fish in QT, they manage to survive more than a day and ultimately perish, I’m completely SOL. What’s my recourse at that point?

———————

Previously, I always cringed when shipping livestock with Fedex, and heralded any vendors that shipped with UPS as UPS is generally spot on and reliable. Not this time…

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just need to vent on this as it’s been a day, thanks for bearing with me.

I’m starting the recovery process from my recent vacation tank crash and thought I’d order some fish from @Reefpro (Copperband Butterfly, Lineatus Wrasse, Rhomboid Wrasse, both males, and a Caudovittatus Angel, well over $1200 in community additions). It’s been a series of massive frustrations that might end up in a lot of pricey, beautiful fish DOA.

I originally ordered the fish for delivery this past Friday, when unfortunately Tropical Storm Nicole hit, a completely understandable reason to suspend operations and delay.

After chatting with RP, we agreed to ship on Monday for a Tuesday arrival. Except, the package didn’t go out on Monday (after another call), it was shipping out on Tuesday for Wednesday delivery. I’m generally ok with this as I WFH.

Tuesday comes, and they package and send the fish out. The package never gets registered in UPS‘ system, and I get an email notice from UPS saying they’ll update me when they receive the package. So, off to the phone again with ReefPro (I honestly have to say thank you to Zack for going above and beyond to help out this week, he must be sick of me), they‘ve been having issues with UPS as of late. Thankfully that shipment of fish was returned to RP.

Reef Pro proceeds to package up another set of fish for delivery today. UPS’ tracking page is notifying me they have the package and it’s in transit for a delivery by 12:00p today. Wonderful!

Except, I wake up this morning and see the package has been sitting in Louisville since 12am. Eventually tracking updates that the shipment will arrive TOMORROW by 12:00pm! At this point I’m livid and call UPS to try to get them to speed up the shipment, no luck whatsoever and just a whole bunch of canned responses.

Next step is to call Reef Pro to understand what my options are. I’m almost certainly expecting to open a box full of dead or near death fish. Not to mention I won’t be able to give the fish (i.e. the Copperband) as much attention/care next week as it’s a holiday week (why I originally wanted delivery last Friday (even on Tuesday), focus on addressing any health/behavior/diet concerns this week).

While it was explained they have an Arrive Alive guarantee (possibly survive even up to 24 hours), there’s no guarantee that the fish will be in survivable shape if they manage to make it 44-48 hours in the bag. I put these fish in QT, they manage to survive more than a day and ultimately perish, I’m completely SOL. What’s my recourse at that point?

———————

Previously, I always cringed when shipping livestock with Fedex, and heralded any vendors that shipped with UPS as UPS is generally spot on and reliable. Not this time…
This is unfortunate and happens. I can give you one tip- from November 15-March 15- I would not order for shipping cross country but nearby
Holiday packages will take priority and storms and mechanical issues which occur this time of the year exists
To shippers- your fish are cargo/ packages- not livestock

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is unfortunate and happens. I can give you one tip- from November 15-March 15- I would not order for shipping cross country but nearby
Holiday packages will take priority and storms and mechanical issues which occur this time of the year exists
To shippers- your fish are cargo/ packages- not livestock

Certainly, which is why I ordered on Nov 9th. The closer you get to and past Thanksgiving, the more you’re diving head first into fire.

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A positive update today.

All fish arrived alive and in reasonably good health! A very nice surprise given they were in the bags in NE winter weather for nearly 40 hours. Hoping the next few days go well and we see them eating.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back