Reef Raft (RR) Jaw Dropper Acro

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People complain about the price of this amazing acro but wouldn't hesitate to drop 1000+ on a single eye of a chance or 300-1000+ for a single zoanthid polyp. Reefraft has imported some of the nicest acros into this country, and people ******* and moaning about the price of this one are the reason why more f these type of acros don't end up here. All the nicest corals go to Asia and Europe because of the cry babies here.
Lol

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is wow. They get corals in from australia,indonesia,hawaii etc etc and they find the prettiest corals put a sweet name on it and put a price tag on it they are not curing any diseases LOL. They laugh every time a purchase is made trust me. Nothing was invented nothing was assembled no one has to pay crazy college payments and loans. I have many sick acros that i purchased from fellow hobbyists and LFS and I do walk away from crazy prices. If your spending over 200 on a frag I think you should be seeing a doctor to talk to to see whats missing in someones life lol

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@duke - if that were true, we'd have fifty vendors doing the same thing. I can count less than a handful of vendors that get or see pieces like these. And they charge for them because they pay for them.

Supply and demand.

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
850 a 1/2" that is nuts... Makes me wonder what I would've got for my BA Millie if I would've sold frag's of it... I had someone offer me $500 for a frag but couldn't do it because I felt bad for even considering charging somebody that much...

Last edited by a moderator:

Waynel333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I'm going to say is that if it weren't for the few reefers willing to initially pay the premium for these unique looking corals, they would never have a chance to come down in price for other reefers to buy them. It's not like the ultra corals are easily found. Out of the thousands of corals collected maybe 1% are unique and make it to us hobbyist. It take take time, capital and resources to collect and look for these corals. The premium price makes it worth the suppliers' time to do so. Once it does make it to the few hobbyist who pay that premium to aquaculture it, they then sell their frags at a discount from a vendor. This is how as another poster put it, 2 years later, it'll be $40/frag.

You have to look at the big picture people. There will always be hobbyist out there who have much more disposable income and aren't willing to wait to get the rarest or nicest things in the hobby. There will also be reefers who are looking for the best deals and aren't willing to pay a premium and have more patience than money. You can't fault either for their prerogatives.

Last edited:

e.litvin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree that it is pricey but it is truly a once in a life time coral in my opinion. I also don't believe it will ever make it to under $50 a frag on average, I know the red planet was just an example, but even when it was $200 a frag it was much easier to get your hands on and the jawdropper is 10x the frag the red planet is (another opinion). Also, to bash the people that pay that kind of money isnt fair. On the basis that the frag doesnt die (and assuming they would spend that kind of money I feel like they are very confident in their system) they might spend $850 then in 3 months sell 3 frags from it for $600 a piece.

In the end beautiful piece, if I could find one available id sell a couple frags and be a proud owner in a heartbeat. Not my picture below but just for the people that havent seen the frag before.
jaw dropper.jpg

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you going to get this mini colony from if it will be bigger then anybody else's colony who bought frags?

This is the only company that sells corals of this caliber to people in America, what do you think the people in europe and Asia pay for these types of corals that are readily available? I can tell you it isn't $40. I do think this is expensive, and my guess in two years when the first buyers well their frags it won't be $40 a frag either. Not $850 but I'm guessing over $300. I don't see you guys crying about $1000 chalices or $2000 dollar zoas like the last Krakatoa.

Last edited by a moderator:

Waynel333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edited for masked vulgarity.

As a business owner, I look at it from that perspective. As a hobbyist, I understand your perspective. But you have to look at it from other types of hobbyiest. As a car enthusiast, many hobbyist take old broken down jalopies, restore them and sell them for a profit to fund them for their next project. Why shouldn't it apply to our hobby???

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had to edit a couple of posts and give a few warnings in this thread due to breaking the Masked Vulgarity rule, please help keep Reef2Reef a family friendly site and leave the language at home.

As for this coral, you can't tell me that you wouldn't want this coral in your tank even if it was free.... And if you were the originator of this coral and everybody wanted it you can't tell me that you wouldn't ask a premium price for it.

If you don't like the price please walk along, the comments aren't really necessary. As stated above in a year or so this will be just another common Acro and people will be complaining about the next big thing being over priced....

I mean really, I can remember when Tubbs Blues Zoa's were the hot item and everyone wanted them..... Now they are considered common weeds...

e.litvin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I've bought "named" corals that I dont particularly like but I know they are easier to sell so I can make money for the corals that I personally do like. I highly doubt the high end collectors pay for everything out of pocket. I sell to buy more corals, none of the money I go from selling corals goes to anything else really and that way a very small amount of money comes out of pocket when i want to buy corals. More expensive piece the more I gotta sell, who cares most of my stuff has paid for itself already.

mcola78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never understand why so many people complain about the price of items. I understand the current asking price is high, but so was the price for a 42" flat screen TV in 2006. Back then, a 42" cost over $3,000. Today, you can pick one up for under $350. It really is a concept of Supply and Demand and I'm not going to waste your time going into that. Regardless, all people who buy goods fall into one of the five categories below.

plc_adoptive_strategy.gif

If you are an INNOVATOR (about 2.5% of people) or an EARLY ADOPTER (about 13.5%) then you will most likely want these items when supply is scarce and pay higher premiums to have them. For the complainers on this post, I assume you must be LATE MAJORITY or LAGGARDS.

So, no worries, be patient. In a few years this coral will be more commonplace too and the prices will be much lower. Wait until then and I am sure you can pick one up for under $50 by then. But if you want the rare, hot item now, the awesome colors, then expect that it will cost a bit more and from what I am hearing about this coral, the INNOVATORS are really happy with the value they are getting to be first on the block to have this new shiny toy!

Congrats to those of you that have this coral, I have heard it is pretty impressive. I myself am right around the EARLY MAJORITY...so, I guess I have to wait another year for this one. Ha!

Aqua fire/medic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I've bought "named" corals that I dont particularly like but I know they are easier to sell so I can make money for the corals that I personally do like. I highly doubt the high end collectors pay for everything out of pocket. I sell to buy more corals, none of the money I go from selling corals goes to anything else really and that way a very small amount of money comes out of pocket when i want to buy corals. More expensive piece the more I gotta sell, who cares most of my stuff has paid for itself already.

Well put bud :). My personal opinion........ I personally could not see myself dropping 8 hundo on a 1/2" frag because I would like to stay married, LOL! But if someone in my local club wants to buy it ( hint hint) more power to them. I wouldn't mind seeing this beauty growing out in a system local to me or even at a local frag swap :)

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice enough acro. Would be reassuring to see pics as spectacular as those out of RR from someone else I suppose, cuz those seem to be on another level. Not that I've ever paid more than 90 bucks for a coral ... Or would. When you see a pic of a gorgeously scaped tank overgrown w acros who asks what their names are anyway?

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the pearlberry,red planet,shades of fall,nicks purple passion all make that look like a ordinary acro. I dont see any love for that coral and if someone was selling it with many other acros i probably would skip over it. I even bought a sweet nasuta from a LFS that is sweeter then that one with pink skin purple 1/4 tips and a lime green ring around the coralite that would put this coral to shame. Interest in it right now is the price tag. Everyone wants what they cant afford. Its nice but not 800 dollar for a 1/2 in nice

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the pearlberry,red planet,shades of fall,nicks purple passion all make that look like a ordinary acro. I dont see any love for that coral and if someone was selling it with many other acros i probably would skip over it. I even bought a sweet nasuta from a LFS that is sweeter then that one with pink skin purple 1/4 tips and a lime green ring around the coralite that would put this coral to shame. Interest in it right now is the price tag. Everyone wants what they cant afford. Its nice but not 800 dollar for a 1/2 in nice

I have all of those names corals and they are nice but the jaw dropper is on a different level. You are wrong about people only wanting this because of the price tag...this coral has been sought after since reefraft Asia released a pic almost a year ago.

BTW you still haven't told us where you are going to get that mini colony bigger then everybody else's mini colony in two years for half the price.

In reference to another post, I'm an early majority as well so I'll probably have it with the first release of hobbyist frags in about a year. I actually have something I got from reefraft that looks really similar though, I'll post pics later.

Last edited:

Sparkpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys this is day two
qaga5umy.jpg

This is my orange passion. Slowly but surely he is growing taller.
y4ehy2y3.jpg

Sorry cellphone pictures with full zoom sucks.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 68 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back