Reef Raft (RR) Jaw Dropper Acro

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noooo, now all the Krak price drama is spilling over into stick land!:cry:
In acro world we are lovers not fighters!
:hail: hail the mighty jawdropper, i already have money put back just for this gem.:)

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alhough niw i see where the krak owners are coming from. If you love a piece you just want it no matter price.
At first i was shocked that people wanted to pay so much for a polyp. Ewww
But now i understand:) caus i love and collect sticks and the price for a gem like this steep but i still want it regardless. Fortunately it is not AS expensive as Krak.....yet...

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last edited:

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So let me get this straight? If it looks exactly like it,has the same coralites and same coloration its not as nice? So unless it comes from RR,JF,BC then it can gain its price tag and stature? Sounds like a bit of marketing genius more then a sweet coral

I said nothing about the quality of the piece. I said adding Reef Raft to the name would be unacceptable. That would be like me buying something, deciding its similar to a tyree piece, and selling it as such.

I just started a lineage thread with this exact situation in mind.

I think it's absurd that you can't call it the jawdropper Acro if it looks the same. You might not be able to call it the RR Jawdropper Acro. Of course this may affect the selling price but since they didn't buy it from RR it probably wasn't as expensive, or maybe it was.

There is even a possibility that it came from the same colony if it was split up. Especially if you knew they sent frags to the area you bought it at.

Anyways, I'd like to see a hobbyist's picture with this Acro in their tank

I wouldn't have a problem with them calling it a jaw dropper. I would have a problem with them putting reef raft in front of the name.

Now, if you had proof that you received a frag from the exact colony that was being sold, then you might mention that. But I still wouldn't be ok adding RR to the name.

How many LE Reef Raft pieces does Cherry Corals sell because they look the same? How many LE Sexy Corals pieces does Reef Raft sell because they look the same?

ReefHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, you all sure do get worked up over the RR Jawdropper Acro and it's price tag lol

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Insane? So that means its ok to pay the same price for a Zoa come on,its what ever the market will stand,and right now doesn't seem like theres a ceiling on it.

erm213

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People can we stop beating a dead horse? Nothing new, nor interesting is being added to the conversation.

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what does RR have that others dont have that makes it SPECTACULAR? Do they soak their corals in a mysticl solution and make it glow? Whole thing makes no sense? Because this vendor has it makes it more desirable?

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing can be said about diamonds, emeralds, gold, and silver...stupid prices...they're just rocks...

But the thing that gives them value is rarity....by the nature of any coral growing and reproducing it will NEVER be raree in the real picture. Living, growing , reproducing is effectively the opposite of rare. People who never learned to resist their urges to "be the first one on their block" are the reason prices go out of control. Can anybody remember a tiny speck of Tyree Sunset Montipora for $275 plus shipping? If any body wants some, let me know....I have given away a lot of extremely short lineage Sunset Monti to beginning reefers just to put some color in their tanks....how bout theeh WWC My Miami? Over $1000 for an eye and now just a short time later it can be had for like $100 an eye....or the elusive Jose Casas Bubblegum Monster chalice? It was lots of money for a speck and now I am given a 5 eye hunk for free.....

Investment should be put into something that will give returns over time, not just something "you just gotta have first."

Just my feeling....

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they have it for sale but it was written that if it looks like it exactly,same coralites same colors it wont get the same price tag because its not from RR? Do you guys realize how silly that sounds? Like I said marketing geniuses. Guess I wont drink the koolaid with others when it comes to this subject. Makes absolute no sense. When it comes to real products like clothes and electronics yes people spend more money to get named merchandise because of better materials used. Dont understand how just because a coral passed the front door of a vendor collects a bigger price tag? It was a wild colony that they claim they held onto for a year big deal. And as for diamonds collecting a price tag, the difference is when you buy a rare diamond you cannot grow another one when its in your possession so that dont really make sense as a comparison :)

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If it doesn't come from reef raft, it'll have a different price? I didn't say that. I haven't read that, yet. Must have missed it.

If another vendor gets it in, and identifies it as the same, they'll probably charge the same or close to it.

If we can grow coral and lower the price, why do designer dogs continue to command a high price? Shouldn't bulldogs be $10 a puppy now? We've been breeding them for how long?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah they have it for sale but it was written that if it looks like it exactly,same coralites same colors it wont get the same price tag because its not from RR? Do you guys realize how silly that sounds? Like I said marketing geniuses. Guess I wont drink the koolaid with others when it comes to this subject. Makes absolute no sense. When it comes to real products like clothes and electronics yes people spend more money to get named merchandise because of better materials used. Dont understand how just because a coral passed the front door of a vendor collects a bigger price tag? It was a wild colony that they claim they held onto for a year big deal. And as for diamonds collecting a price tag, the difference is when you buy a rare diamond you cannot grow another one when its in your possession so that dont really make sense as a comparison :)

You missed my point in the diamonds are rocks comment. I was responding to the idea that because all coral come from the ocean, no one can lay claim or differentiate. THAT makes as much sense as saying diamonds, emeralds, gold, and silver are all just rocks. THAT was the point.

Name brands in other industries are not always about better product either...never have been. Some products cost more just because of a name...does that make good consumer sense? Not necessarily (depends on how important the name is to you). From the time I was a kid, basketball shoes cost more if they came with a certain player's name on them...and this happens in practically every industry...yes, there are cheaper brands of lesser quality...but then sometimes there are just cheaper brands (of equal quality). It's all about what's important to the consumer.

In coral, to some collectors, it's not just about what it looks like. They want a specific coral lineaged to a specific colony. Maybe that sounds silly to you...but that's each collector's decision.

What doesn't make sense is for us to complain about other consumers' decisions and what they do with their money. If it makes sense to them, and they've got the money...why is it somehow morally wrong???

Last edited:

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is fussing for no reason its not even available to buy in the u.s so there's no point of huffin an puffin over it at lest for now.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Everyone is fussing for no reason its not even available to buy in the u.s so there's no point of huffin an puffin over it at lest for now.

Lol a valid point

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as far as diamonds and all that crap go..i agree, and thats why my gf knows that when i pop the question shes getting cubic lol.

p.s its not just the price of diamonds i dont like its the whole trade itself

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back