Reef ration: Do you target feed your corals?

Do you target feed your corals?

• I regularly target feed my corals.

Votes: 145 27.1%
  • I occasionally target feed my corals.

Votes: 167 31.2%
  • I rarely target feed my corals.

Votes: 78 14.6%
  • I do not target feed my corals.

Votes: 123 22.9%
  • I don’t have corals.

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 3 0.6%

• Total voters

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed 2-3 times a week. Everything eats some small meaty foods like reef frenzy or mysis. Fish eat first, then cut the flow for at least 20 minutes after target feeding corals, ensuring enough time for the slow eaters (like the trachys) get theirs down.

Gorgs and Gonis feed on phyto I add every other day, and also will catch some of the small ROE eggs when I feed the fish.

Reef roids used to always be in the rotation, but I switched to Benereef/Benepets a year ago and like it much better.

IMG_1635.jpeg

Kirbalicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Target feed about three times a week with frozen reef frenzy & mysis, and every night tank gets reef energy AB+ before bed. I've got a large elegance, scoly, lobo, acans, blastos. The scoly was a rehab, and he and the elegance have benefitted massively from the regular feedings, went from a shriveled little lifesaver to a fluffy donut after about 4 months. Once a week I do phyto for the clam and the feather duster.

I kill all flow, use a long pipette, and guard each coral while feeding, takes just under 30 minutes from start to finish. Requires a large water change weekly to keep parameters inline, but other than a patch or two of stubborn hair algae occasionally, everything is doing great.

pixter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix mysis and brine shrimp. It’s frozen so I let it melt and then add a touch of ro water. Dummy me I don’t turn off the waver. All the fish get an extra treat. Now that I’m thinking I bet my corals don’t get enough. For now on I will turn off the waver. Duh!!

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t bother to target feed as my shrimp, fish, cuc etc steal the food everytime. I do feed my corals ammo acids, vitamins, frozen, plankton and zooplankton based foods but by broadcast feeding it into wavemakers. I’ll feed during the day and again in the night once lights have been off a few hours. I use a lot! Lol

APlusAquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed twice a week. I dose aminos to get the corals to open up, then I Mix phyto, reef roids oyster feast, roe , tdo pellets and mysis into one smelly concoction and watch the corals goto town. It helps keep my nutrients in line also. If I don't do this I have to dose NO3 and PO4.

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose phyto everyday. Broadcast benepets or Reef Chile 2 times a week. AB+ once a week sometimes twice a week. Mysis at least every other day. I’m trying to get my phosphates up so it’s a bit heavy right now.

Chris Nano Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roids and mysis once a week a day or 2 before my water change. Pumps off for 10-15 while feeding. Duncan and acans direct zoas and the others broadcast around them pretty much everything except the hammer. The hammer has no interest in any food just light. Have to feed fish first or they go crazy once the roids hit the tank.

Wildblue4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed a couple times a week. Mix Reeroids, RefChili, and Goni powder, pellets and add liquid Plankton. Acans look amazing. Candy Cane as well. My Duncan’s closed up for about a month but are slowly recovering??? No idea why. Goni look good

mushrommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never target fed before. But I just recently got an acan, a duncan, and a candy cane. I ordered some Reef Roids from BRS. I'm interested in how the corals react to food, and whether or not I'm able to target feed them without getting frustrated.
Duncan coral are so fun to feed! Make sure to turn off anything that would make flow including filters. Acans and candy cane coral tend to react a bit slower.

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed my rock flowers and Duncan reef frenzy once a week. I've tried target feeding my candy cane but it doesn't respond to direct feeding.

mushrommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed my rock flowers and Duncan reef frenzy once a week. I've tried target feeding my candy cane but it doesn't respond to direct feeding.
Turn off all flow. Spot feed reef roids and wait for a while. Candy canes have a slower feeding response.

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed every 2 to 3 days. Mysis shrimp for the larger like my Duncan, or anemones. Reef roids for my Zoas, cloves, and Stylocoeniella. I also dose with Amino acids about 30min before I feed solid foods. I also do have a protein skimmer, and refugium to handle all the feeding I do.

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan coral are so fun to feed! Make sure to turn off anything that would make flow including filters. Acans and candy cane coral tend to react a bit slower.
Fed them for the first time yesterday after the weekly water change. I turned off all pumps for 15 minutes. All corals seemed to eat up most of the food in that time. The Duncan reacted immediately; closing up some to eat the roids.

Even my Easter Egg Chalice sucked up the food.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back