Reef ration: Do you target feed your corals?

Do you target feed your corals?

• I regularly target feed my corals.

Votes: 145 27.1%
  • I occasionally target feed my corals.

Votes: 167 31.2%
  • I rarely target feed my corals.

Votes: 78 14.6%
  • I do not target feed my corals.

Votes: 123 22.9%
  • I don’t have corals.

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 3 0.6%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

There are many ways to care for corals and, depending on the coral, there are many ways to feed them. Light is often part of the equation as well as elements from the water column. Sometimes feeding corals involves…well…feeding corals as in actually putting food in their mouths. This can be done with aquarium tweezers, a turkey baster, a pipette, or other ways to get food directly to specific corals rather than broadcast feeding. For example, pre-soaked pellets designed for corals can be fed using a pipette with the narrow tip cut off. Let talk about feeding corals – do you target feed your corals? Please share your experience and tips in the following thread!

Pro Tip: Watch the tank after the corals are target feed to make sure that fish and invertebrates aren’t eating the food out of the corals’ mouths. This can be a problem for several reasons including that it can lead to harassment and damage of the corals.

Lilo_CoralFood.jpeg

Photo by @lilopop11

TCKBanner.png

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tckcorals.com

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my LPS and zoas with Reef Roids and powder form Reef Chili. My observation with my coral has been that they seem to extend more and grow faster when fed. I do not feed my sps coral directly. Some of them (sps) in my display tank, I don't want to grow any faster. :grinning-squinting-face:

mushrommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are many ways to care for corals and, depending on the coral, there are many ways to feed them. Light is often part of the equation as well as elements from the water column. Sometimes feeding corals involves…well…feeding corals as in actually putting food in their mouths. This can be done with aquarium tweezers, a turkey baster, a pipette, or other ways to get food directly to specific corals rather than broadcast feeding. For example, pre-soaked pellets designed for corals can be fed using a pipette with the narrow tip cut off. Let talk about feeding corals – do you target feed your corals? Please share your experience and tips in the following thread!

Pro Tip: Watch the tank after the corals are target feed to make sure that fish and invertebrates aren’t eating the food out of the corals’ mouths. This can be a problem for several reasons including that it can lead to harassment and damage of the corals.

Lilo_CoralFood.jpeg

Photo by @lilopop11

TCKBanner.png

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tckcorals.com
I feed my candy cane coral reef roads and meaty foods every other day. They're polyps are huge!

mushrommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie coral question. Which types corals benefit from target feeding?
Mainly lps coral, hammer coral tend to spit out it's food out lol. A few examples of coral that benefits from this are acans, candy cane coral, scolys, open brain coral, even mushroom coral, and ext... It helps with growth and polyps look fabulous, especially in acans! I feed mine a mixture of reef roids, mysis, and brine shrimp.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I target feed twice a week with a blend of reef roids-RS A/B and mysis shrimp

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not good at target feeding so I do not get coral that need to be target fed. I do stategically place some coral that benefit from fish food in places where the flow carries the food to the coral. This has been working very well for me, and the coral!

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never target fed before. But I just recently got an acan, a duncan, and a candy cane. I ordered some Reef Roids from BRS. I'm interested in how the corals react to food, and whether or not I'm able to target feed them without getting frustrated.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow is off for 20 minutes. I mainly feed Nyos LPS Power pellets twice a week, using solid tube with funnel end. Coral Frenzy pellets now and then. Scolys and blastos.
Tank also gets Nyos Instant Plankton or TM Phyton once a week, gonis and rods

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back