OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's tax time! So I am upgrading the lighting to shine more light on this thread :rolleyes:
DSC_1952-2.jpg

Will shoot a pic once it's setup.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear about the improved flow and new equipment. I feel like a bum with just a koralia nano in my evo :D
What light is the Kessil replacing?

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear about the improved flow and new equipment. I feel like a bum with just a koralia nano in my evo :D
What light is the Kessil replacing?

Kessil Tuna Blue A80. I decided to stick with Kessil. Seems a lot easier with only 2 things to think about - Color & intensity.

bir4y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you selling the a80, if so how much? I dont want to be that guy, but I am looking for one so I dont have to pay full price haha.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you selling the a80, if so how much? I dont want to be that guy, but I am looking for one so I dont have to pay full price haha.

@bir4y - I am considering it. I do have to say I am also considering using it on my QT. I'll IM you.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the updated look of the tank. Light is currently 10" off water surface. Intensity is max @ 70% with 45% color for duration of 10 hrs with ramp-up and down accordingly.

DSC_1954.jpg
DSC_1962.jpg

DSC_1959.jpg
DSC_1966.jpg

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx. It has been going good and so looking I am forward to seeing to this growing out.

WarEaglesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you'll be PAR testing your new Kessil to compare to the A80? I'm curious to see how much stronger it is and what a difference it makes with your coral. Congrats on the new light!!

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you'll be PAR testing your new Kessil to compare to the A80? I'm curious to see how much stronger it is and what a difference it makes with your coral. Congrats on the new light!!

I am definitely planning on testing PAR in more details for sure. Like to ensure I am in a relative ball park figure. I did run through a set of quick tests initially before deciding on and setting the intensity and height of the light that I did. I plan to recheck within the next day or two to be sure I have the appropriate data and will adjust as needed.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9th Weeks Update. Overall tank is doing good.

Concern:
  • Zoas - I have one small colony of zoas which are not opening up and as a result have some brown film. Other colonies of zoas are doing well. Not clear what to do as I have move the colony around in hope it may have not liked the water flow and was opening up some but has been closed for a few days. I plan to redip it in CoralRx and go from there. Any suggestion is appreciate.
DSC_1976.jpg

New corals:
  • Purple rim montipora. The pic did not come out as I liked but will have to do. It's mostly light green with purple edge around the rim. I placed it against the wall with the goal to create a somewhat "ledge" feel and shadowing for this area of the tank. The goal is to also add 1-2 more different color montipora along this area to create a collage long term.
DSC_1977.jpg

• Galaxy coral (green). A very vibrant green color coral with a very long reach. Will have to watch what it will be touching long term.
DSC_1978.jpg

Equipment:

• Neptune Energy Bar 8. I needed more control over the many devices plugged into the system so this was the best option given my current path with Apex Jr.
DSC_1973.jpg

• Finnex Planted Plus LED. Thought I switch out the default light on the small refugium with something that has more red in the spectrum. This is used to grow plants so I am trying it out.
DSC_1968.jpg

• Sicce Syncra 1.0 pump (return pump). The standard pump which comes with the tank lacks head pressure and gph was very low imo. This pump up the gph. Even at half throttle this provides a very good flow.
DSC_1971.jpg

WarEaglesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice additions! What did you use to get that monti to stick to the wall, just regular gel superglue? Hope you've got enough space for that galaxea. I'd love to have one, but all the ones I've seen have had such long sweepers I'm not sure where I could get away with putting it.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monti - I just used thick superglue. There's a sizable bit of glue underneath the monti so finger's crossed. I am hoping to be able graft to another monti later.

Galaxea - yes, definitely have to watch the sweepers. Since the spot it's in has a relatively constant water flow, I know where the sweepers will be extending and how far as I have seen it. For now it's good with room for growth as long as it's in the front where it's at.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this an Alveopora Coral? I was told at the LFS it's not a Goniopora but similar but somehow I failed to listened what he said this was.

DSC_1979.jpg

DSC_1982.jpg

WarEaglesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told that if it has 12 "petals" per head it's an alveopora species, and 24 is a goniopora species. Looking like yours is more than 12 but I'm not sure from the photo. Good luck if it's goniopora...I'm having a rough time making mine happy.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WarEagle88 - thx. I am pretty sure it's around 12 also. It's not 24 from what I can tell or count. dang difficult to count with it water moving and while during feeding. I have no luck years ago with goniopora myself so I know to stay away for the time being. Just hoping this was not incorrectly identified and I bought it without doing due diligence.

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently just bought this tank as well! Love the setup you have going on. Question about your MP10... is there enough room to put the dry side in the back chamber so you can have the wet side on the back of the tank? I plan on having this set up peninsula style. Thanks!

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently just bought this tank as well! Love the setup you have going on. Question about your MP10... is there enough room to put the dry side in the back chamber so you can have the wet side on the back of the tank? I plan on having this set up peninsula style. Thanks!

Congrats on the tank! I like it...even had considered on multiple occasions to buy another one just as a "spillover" tank just in case ;).

MP10 - I am not exactly clear by your question of mounting MP10 on the back of the tank peninsula. Sounds like you like to mount the MP10 on the back of the tank for the peninsula look. Short answer is no.

Note all 3 chambers are actually wet when full. I've included two pics for reference. Note the water flow in the 1st pic.
multistage1.png

FluvalSea-10531-EVOAquarium-52L-F-International.jpg

If you are considering going peninsula with little overhead of pump, consider replacing the return pump for something like what I just upgraded to - Sicce Syncra 1.0 pump (I do have to say with MP10, Syncra 1.0 is a tad more flow than I like and will be downgrading to .5 pump). The other option is potentially with something like Tunze 6040 or Current EFlux Wave Pump 660 Kit which allows you to adjust the flow in different direction and be able to mount the pump next to the back wall. With the MP10, you don't have the option to direct the water flow any direction other than straight ahead. With these options for example you can still maintain the peninsula tank with a minimalist pump foot print this way.

HTH

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 16.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 53 43.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back