reef-rc Fluval Evo 13G

bir4y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the clarification! What reef cub posted did not sound like a bad idea at all, and might put that design onto my evo...

bir4y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC_1976v1.jpg

1.5 weeks ago, the above pic was the small zoa colony I was concern was being wasted away as it was closed for days with brown film starting to cover it. Unfortunately here is the remaining colony today.:oops:
File_001v1.jpeg

Fortunately I have another identical colony sitting on the other side of the tank and this has been doing well...until last few days. It too started closing passed few days with only a few polyps opening with a similar film covering it. Now I have already scrubbed the earlier colony with a toothbrush in an wild *** attempt to do something ;Doctor but that did not help.
File_000v1.jpeg

Today I am trying a different approach with Furan 2 for what I lightly understood as a potential zoa pox.
File_002.jpeg

Left - dissolved treatment in tank water. Right - Tank water for dipping.

The treatment is basically simple. 2 cups of water with the dissolve treatment of Furan 2 for 15 minutes with blowing of water using a syring every 3-5 minutes. The idea is to do multiple treatments. This is the 1st. I am looking be doing another tomorrow evening.

After the treatment, I just placed the coral back into the tank. At least 1 polyp have opened. Time will see if this has an impact within the next few days. Would really hate to loose another colony. I just like to get to the root cause and get the right treatment in time. With this colony, I think I am starting the treatment early enough. With the earlier one, I wasted more time than I had planned.

Now I will have to say these colonies seemed to be wild caught and imported; from asia is my understanding. 2nd - this colony was mostly closed when I got it in the first place and is the reason I got it cheaper than the other colony. My other frags of zoas are doing great and have already begun to multiply and are not impacted. I am looking to keep that way for sure :mad:....
Have you tried an iodine/hydrogen peroxide dip? i've heard those have helped... try this thread out https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/zoa-dip-hydrogen-peroxide.16937/

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the clarification! What reef cub posted did not sound like a bad idea at all, and might put that design onto my evo...
Glad it helped.

Not clear however on your statement of "What reef cub posted did not sound like a bad idea at all, and might put that design onto my evo...".

bir4y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh... I was just saying I liked the design, and would consider this for a refuge.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried an iodine/hydrogen peroxide dip? i've heard those have helped... try this thread out https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/zoa-dip-hydrogen-peroxide.16937/

Appreciate the help and info. I may look into it if Furan-2 does not pan out within the next week or so. So far it's 3 days of treatment and the stuff is now gone from the piece so that's a good sign. Even the 1 polyp was opened before continues to be open through out the process so that too is a good sign. Today looks like a 2nd polyp is trying to open. I would think once this reduce more, the other polyps will be less irriated and try to open up.

Will try to get a pic tomorrow as I just now realized I have not been updating.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reef-rc How did you install the spinstream on your evo?
It's relatively simple. Just popped out the output nozzles. Select the largest flexible plastic adapter which came with the spinstream. I am assuming it did or it could have came with the tank. .
IMG_20170507_134218.jpg

Trim away some access so you can connect it to the spinstream (I trimmed away looks to be about half as seen in the pic.
IMG_20170507_134715.jpg

Then just plug it into the return line and adjust the horizontal position of the spinstream to ensure it cover the most space when in motion.

That's it! Now you're set...more random water movement without much hassle.

hth

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that part, Im wondering about this:
afg20ju.jpg

What are you hooking this end of the rubber coupling to? When I remove the Y-nozzle, I'm left with a female elbow. Nothing to slip the rubber coupling over.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able place the rubber coupling over the outlet like this. May take a little force to stretch a bit...this is a pic I shared earlier
tapatalk_1494189694388.jpeg

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you separated the Y-valve itself from the screw on part? I see, thanks.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the stock return pump? I bought an MJ900 to replace the stock, but it doesn't fit in the compartment with the suction cup base.

Edit: Guess i'll just have to cut the plastic and make it work. Im still curious about what return pump you're using. The spinstream output seemed very weak with stock pump.

Last edited:
OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the stock return pump? I bought an MJ900 to replace the stock, but it doesn't fit in the compartment with the suction cup base.
Ahh...man, now I know you're not reading my posts as it has the answers you need in earlier posts.....[emoji6]

I recently switched out for a sicce pump. Opted to settled on Sicce .5 pump instead of the Sicce 1.0 pump I first got just because it is a tad more power than I need for flow as I already had MP10WQD wave maker inside the tank. Otherwise I would recommend Sicce 1.0 if you need extra flow and the additional wave pump isn't sufficient. Sicce .5 pump adds a little more flow than the standard pump and doesn't over power the wave maker.

Both pumps has the ability to manually dial down the flow which is a nice feature.

Alternatively I think Tunze has a similar identical pump under their name but I am not sure about fit.

These Sicce .5 and Sicce 1.0 pump have the same footprint and fits nicely inside the compartment. Plus they're quiet..

hth

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh...man, now I know you're not reading my posts as it has the answers you need in earlier posts.....[emoji6]

I recently switched out for a sicce pump. Opted to settled on Sicce .5 pump instead of the Sicce 1.0 pump I first got just because it is a tad more power than I need for flow as I already had MP10WQD wave maker inside the tank. Otherwise I would recommend Sicce 1.0 if you need extra flow and the additional wave pump isn't sufficient. Sicce .5 pump adds a little more flow than the standard pump and doesn't over power the wave maker.

Both pumps has the ability to manually dial down the flow which is a nice feature.

Alternatively I think Tunze has a similar identical pump under their name but I am not sure about fit.

These Sicce .5 and Sicce 1.0 pump have the same footprint and fits nicely inside the compartment. Plus they're quiet..

hth
Don't call me out now haha. I probably read it before, just forgot.
Thanks for the info. I'll check out the Sicce pumps.

Darth George

View Badges
Reaction score
East of the West Coast, West of the East Coast.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This passed weekend I picked up a small galaxea coral frag as I wanted something in an area at the bottom of the tank which receive a relatively moderate flow. I knew going in the galaxea had sweepers. I thought I had a good spot for it but the water flow changed as a result of the new more powerful return pump. I have been watching it just to be sure and so earlier today I decided to see how the new location is doing and how long the sweepers are. Here's a brief vid. It's long for it's size. It's close to touching another coral. I believed it had already touched a lower branch of the Duncan coral a day earlier and as a result I switched out the position of the coral slightly. Looks like I will have to move it closer to the corner to be safe.

I can't keep galaxea in my nano any more! I had a tiny frag with 8" sweepers. It was crazy! Now my pectinia had a growth spurt and is throwing the longest sweepers I've ever seen! Nanos can be challenging.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.... it's a little of a challenge with the small real estate on nano size. I definitely been keeping an eye on those sweepers. So far I am having to give it about 3-4" of space just as be sure.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late today I did the 5th Furan 2 treatment for the ill zoas colony. Treatment looks to be doing good. The yellow film looks to be slowly disappearing. Hopefully I can save the colony. Additional 1-2 polyps are trying to open up as a I can see a hint of green of those. Not clear at this point if I should let things settle or continue the treatment until I am all out of treatments (10 treatments). I did not get a chance to shoot a quick pic of the colony.

I did however had an opportunity to capture a view of the evolving zoas patch with the phone while observing.
IMG_20170508_231029v1.jpg

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to this point the tank's PH has been 7.8-8.0 on average. With daily alkalinity dosing and ATO with kalkwasser, PH only reach above 8.0 temporarily. Even with a small refugium, does not look like it has much impact on PH. As a result, I had decided to give CO2 Scrubber a try.

Here are pics from today as I start the installation of BRS CO2 scrubber to the PS2 skimmer. Given this is a tiny skimmer compared to a full size skimmer, I am thinking the usage of media will run weeks per container.

I just installed the unit. PH currently is 7.88. Typically I dose alkalinity before bedtime to help maintain alkalinity of around 9.6 dkh and maintain PH level during nightime. Will see by next week what this has on PH given such a small skimmer.

IMG_20170509_101428.jpg

IMG_20170509_194443.jpg

money88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to this point the tank's PH has been 7.8-8.0 on average. With daily alkalinity dosing and ATO with kalkwasser, PH only reach above 8.0 temporarily. Even with a small refugium, does not look like it has much impact on PH. As a result, I had decided to give CO2 Scrubber a try.

Here are pics from today as I start the installation of BRS CO2 scrubber to the PS2 skimmer. Given this is a tiny skimmer compared to a full size skimmer, I am thinking the usage of media will run weeks per container.

I just installed the unit. PH currently is 7.88. Typically I dose alkalinity before bedtime to help maintain alkalinity of around 9.6 dkh and maintain PH level during nightime. Will see by next week what this has on PH given such a small skimmer.

I hope the dosing and scrubber works out for you

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@money88 - I have been dosing buffer manually early in the tank process to help with alkalinity so it's good. I often check alkalinity to ensure it's within range and steady as I have noticed it can flucuate more than other parameters besides PH. I currently have more corals in this tank than long term this tank can support so it may explain the drain on alkalinity. I have been saying I'll do a visual update so you will see what i mean but have been busy.

The scrubber is more of an enhancement and is not absolutely necessary I think. Given the growth I have seen with the LPS corals, I am thinking this will help with growth.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back