Reef Redbeard. The 60g cube build.

Frostburnt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all,

I wish I had done this when the tank was first started. But I'll give a detailed background, and we will just be fast forwarding through the last 11 months.

Tank got wet on July 7th, 2018.

Heres an equipment list:

- Deep Blue RR 60g Cube

- Homemade Stand - I've been planning on finishing this thing for over a year and it's still just 2x4s because I cant decide on exactly what to do. The stand is 2x2, but to the left of the tank is the sump, which also needs to be covered up and extends another 4 feet!

- 75g standard tank - Baffled into a 3 chamber sump. First chamber started with a filter sock, later switched to a filter cup with floss, since I got tired of cleaning filter socks. Also has my protein skimmer. Secome chamber is a large refugium, along with a marinepure block. Final is return and another marinepure block.

- Skimz sc145i protein skimmer- never skimmed much, been considering taking it offline. It only really pulls skimmate after feeding or if I stir up some **** in the tank or fuge.

- BRS Dual Reactor - I run carbon probably every other week if I'm not too lazy to change it.

- Reef Octopus Varios-2 Return Pump - I love this thing. It's my first DC pump purchase and it's just so quiet, and easy to adjust.

- Fuge light is just some 165w grow light off Amazon - does the trick. Chaeto grows quickly. I would like to upgrade to the Kessil H380, but I dont need it and I know it.

- Reefkeeper Lite - Temp Control, pH monitoring, light timer and ATO. Unfortunately the ATO isnt working properly for the last few weeks, and I haven't had time to play with it. I think my float switch is broken, which is going to be a pain to replace since DA is out of business. Not ready to spring for an apex just yet.

- Jabao DP-4 Dosing Pumps - they do the trick. Couldn't calibrate correctly, so I had to calibrate it to dose half the amount it said it would which can be annoying. Would love to get the reefbot with doser combo when that becomes available and if the funds allow for that kind of purchas .

- 2 300w Eheim Jager Heaters - controlled by the RKL. They do their job, no complaints.

- Kessil a360we Tuna Blue- I love this light. Would like to add a second at some point.

- 2 2 bulb Coralife t5 fixtures - 4 bulbs, 2 blue plus 2 coral plus. Really evens out the lighting and fills in a lot of shadows from the single pendant. Would like to upgrade to the aquatic life fixture for looks. Waiting for the dimmable version to launch.

- 2 Jabao Wavemakers - one pp8 one pp15. They work well, but they're a little noisy. Considering the reefbreeders RP-M if anyone had any experience with them?

Whew. I think that's it for equipment.

Theres about 70lbs of Caribsea Liferock in the tank and an inch and a half of Fuji pink sand.

20180707_100943.jpg
20180707_101018.jpg

OP
OP
Frostburnt

Frostburnt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank runs a fairly standard cleanup crew with a few extras and NO HERMITS!!:
Banded Serpent Star
A pile of trochus snails
Some nassarius snails
3 emerald crabs
Halloween Urchin
Spiny Sea Cucumber

Current fish stock:
3 Blue Green Chromis
Starry Blenny
Tomini Tang
Pair of Black Storm Clownfish
Lubbocks Fairy Wrasse
McCoskers Flasher Wrasse
Ornate Wrasse
Yellow "Coris" Wrasse
Angulatus Flasher

20190520_191353.jpg
20190608_144002.jpg

20190520_191353.jpg

20190608_144002.jpg

Last edited:

ThatFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Heres a recent topdown of the scape. My girlfriend has a 35 cube that I tried to do something similar and failed. But I had limited rocks (leftovers from this build).
2429e0dd1149632e9849b62809dbd438.jpg
Lol, I have a very similar aquascape in my 39 cube .

OP
OP
Frostburnt

Frostburnt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was August 19th, 2018. Tank was doing pretty well, started adding some stuff I had waiting to go into the new build.

About 2-3 weeks later the system crashed. Still dont know the cause all this time later, lost most of what I had put in the tank.

From then until this April I could not keep a single stony coral alive in this system. Killed everything from acans to candy canes to monti caps.

Decided to get an ICP test. Phosphates were slightly low and my strontium was slightly high. Everything else was spot on. No sign of anything wrong.

I figured something had to have gotten into the tank that I couldn't test for.

I did a series of five 50% water changes over the course of two weeks and I added a test acro.

2 months later and everything seems to be thriving. Hopefully we continue to move in the right direction.

First pic is last August.
Second and third is last week.
3248f5a15fb1d7c890c5ad9f20a8ad64.jpg
c6d2015f04361b648f863b2bcc2f7c1a.jpg
ad4411ec3683ce87a19cbdc02d42287f.jpg

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a really beautiful tank!

How is your Yellow Coris Wrasse doing in the tank? This is on my list for when I set up my 60 gallon cube.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This was August 19th, 2018. Tank was doing pretty well, started adding some stuff I had waiting to go into the new build.

About 2-3 weeks later the system crashed. Still dont know the cause all this time later, lost most of what I had put in the tank.

From then until this April I could not keep a single stony coral alive in this system. Killed everything from acans to candy canes to monti caps.

Decided to get an ICP test. Phosphates were slightly low and my strontium was slightly high. Everything else was spot on. No sign of anything wrong.

I figured something had to have gotten into the tank that I couldn't test for.

I did a series of five 50% water changes over the course of two weeks and I added a test acro.

2 months later and everything seems to be thriving. Hopefully we continue to move in the right direction.

First pic is last August.
Second and third is last week.
3248f5a15fb1d7c890c5ad9f20a8ad64.jpg
c6d2015f04361b648f863b2bcc2f7c1a.jpg
ad4411ec3683ce87a19cbdc02d42287f.jpg
Do you mind if I borrow your scape for our tank? Not exactly, but similar

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back