Reef-Roids - NO3 & PO4

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used polyplab's Reef-Roids and kept track of how much they dose and the rise in Nitrate and/or Phosphate, if any? I recieved some for free and was just wondering what users experiences have been with it? Especially when it comes to how much they are feeding and nutrient levels in their tanks.

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not have a snail problem. I use it consistently 2 times a week now. Either spot fed to corals or broadcast if I'm in a hurry

Surfside74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone seen an algae outbreak from it? Ive been using once or twice a week and have algae outbreak now. My phosphate and nitrate levels still say zero however. It looks like green cyano or somethung like it. Not sure whats going on. Just added another full cuc tonight amd do another h2o change tomorrow.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone seen an algae outbreak from it? Ive been using once or twice a week and have algae outbreak now. My phosphate and nitrate levels still say zero however. It looks like green cyano or somethung like it. Not sure whats going on. Just added another full cuc tonight amd do another h2o change tomorrow.

Don't freak out unless it's totally blanketing your tank. Cyano is rarely all that bad a thing and might even be healthy for the tank....it's just not very attractive. ;)

New(ish) tank by any chance?

Doing anything filtration-wise to limit (or export) N or P?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(That was sorta off-topic...sorry to the OP. @Surfside74 maybe open another thread on your issue or PM me if you wanna continue without hijacking this thread?)

OP
OP
WWIII

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(That was sorta off-topic...sorry to the OP. @Surfside74 maybe open another thread on your issue or PM me if you wanna continue without hijacking this thread?)

No worries! I do appreciate the consideration however! Seems like lots of guys are using the polyplab supplements, so I'm sure we will get some more experiences!

305Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your systems ability to remove nutrients and how much of it you use/how often, you may or may not see nutrient levels rise. If they do rise you have the chance of seeing algae. I use it every 2-3 days in small amounts to directly feed my lps polyps in my nano tank. I also use it once a week to loosely broadcast some into my larger SPS tank. Neither have really had any nutrient effects, but the nano gets big water changes and the SPS tank has a crazy OP refugium.

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime you introduce a foreign organic matter that is not created by the system you can expect some algae growth as the biological equilibrium you've achieved has been altered. Just as if you added a new fish. It is important to start slow and increase over time. Problem is that people dose this product or many products like it, and create an imbalance in their tank and blame it on the product, not the fact they just through off the biological balance of their system. With that said Reef Roids is a wonderful product. I fed it with Decapsulated brine shrimp 3 times a day from 2 different feeders. My PO4 would slowly creep up, so I made it a ritual to change the BRS HC GFO every month as regular maintenance. But I would only use 1/4 of the recommended dosage. This would keep my PO4 levels between .01-.05. I would by a Hanna ULR Phosphorus checker to accurately monitor this. Good Luck!

Donaldf973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i was experimenting with roids a gram worth would raise nitrates to around 20ppm if fed in 1 dose weekly. But if I broke the gram amount into 5 smaller feedings my nitrate stayed around 10ppm. This was also while using a counter current 12" skimmer nothing fancy.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I will never use reef roids again. I suspect that it contains many spores and bacteria in cysts that are just waiting to get into wonderful environment of home reef tanks. Every time I have used it I end up with a bacterial issue within a week. I am not knocking the product, it just causes issues in my tank.

Rs951

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it twice a week now. Used to use it like 4 times a week ans noticed I was getting high nutrient levels.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it and the polyp extender, but only about once a week and I usually target feed the roids. No noticeable increase in no3 or po4.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for us Canadians with zero nitrates broadcast feeding some reef roids. Bunch of times may help to get some nutrients in the tank. We can’t get dosing for that here

Back