shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice cube.
A few questions?
I am having a hard time telling what type of anemone you have, the one your clowns are using there.. Is it a Heteractis Magnificent .. By the coloring and size I would say yes .

Also how old is that goni (right)? Hard to tell what color it is, Is it red with blue eyes similiar to the ora goni?

Also is that another goni in the back left? If so how long have you had that one and what color?

Also again awsum tank and nice to another tank that has nice full grown colonies and not overloaded with expensive little frags.

How about a few more pics?

Dave Polzin

Last edited:

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank. Are those zoas flowing off of the rock on the left? It looks so smooth I thought it was a monti.

How do you find an even balance for light between the SPS and rics? My rics turn white a few weeks after I introduce them while my SPS do great. I am assuming I have to much light on them.

I think it depends on the rics. Some rics live in shallow lagoons and get intense light while others hide in the crevices 30 feet down. My orange rics do best in 400 PAR light. I had to move them around a lot in the beginning to find the right combination of flow and light. I think this is one of the hardest aspects of keeping particular corals. For instance I tried for years to grow Tubs Blue Zoos with no luck. Finally I found they survived under T5 lights in my frag tank with medium flow. My first guess for a ric would be not enough light rather than too much.

A truly inspiring setup. What is the bright green lps in the center, a goniporia?
The green guy is a hydnophora, but it's slowly losing out to a blue mushroom that is kickin' its butt unfortunately.

Very nice cube.
A few questions?
I am having a hard time telling what type of anemone you have, the one your clowns are using there.. Is it a Heteractis Magnificent .. By the coloring and size I would say yes .

Also how old is that goni (right)? Hard to tell what color it is, Is it red with blue eyes similiar to the ora goni?

Also is that another goni in the back left? If so how long have you had that one and what color?

Also again awsum tank and nice to another tank that has nice full grown colonies and not overloaded with expensive little frags.

How about a few more pics?

Dave Polzin

Thanks Dave! I've had the goni for about 3 years and it has quadrupled in size. Actually one of my more proud yet unrecognized achievements. It's pink with blue tips and very aggressive. I'm not sure what will happen if it and the anemone start to tangle when they grow. I may have to break the tank down at that point and start new 'cuz I couldn't stand losin' my 'nem. You're right the anemone is a Heteractis Magnifica. If you go to my website I've got a whole page dedicated to the history. It has now split 5 times and none of the clones moves more than an inch or two, but they are all kept in very high flow and high light. The coral in the back I think you're referring to is the hydnophora mentioned above, and of course I'm always happy to share more photos!

Thanks everyone!

Joe

TopDown.jpg

LookDownA.jpg

PurpleTreeA.jpg

Goniopora.jpg

ClownM.jpg

MamaClown.jpg

BigL.jpg

JasonC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a beautiful tank! Nice work Joseph on building what I consider one of the best tanks I have ever seen!

Also, awesome job on the write up Paul!

I'll have to agree with Skinz, One of the best tanks I have ever seen !

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who runs a tank on a budget, I can't even begin to imagine the numbers involved with monthly upkeep on that awesome tank. Very, VERY good looking.

I got married just outside of Beaufort in a town called Sheldon. Lovely part of the country. I'd like to retire there someday.

Actually my two biggest expenses used to be salt and frozen food, but I have an arrangement with a LFS and bring him all my frags and in return I get free salt and food. It brings the total cost way down as the only major expense now is electricity. I haven't checked recently but I used to estimate that cost at about $150 a month. Makes me think I should do a check just to see where I stand. Anyways not meaning to "kick up" a dead thread just wanted to say I think Beaufort is a nice place to live! :D

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got married just outside of Beaufort in a town called Sheldon. Lovely part of the country. I'd like to retire there someday.

Actually my two biggest expenses used to be salt and frozen food, but I have an arrangement with a LFS and bring him all my frags and in return I get free salt and food. It brings the total cost way down as the only major expense now is electricity. I haven't checked recently but I used to estimate that cost at about $150 a month. Makes me think I should do a check just to see where I stand. Anyways not meaning to "kick up" a dead thread just wanted to say I think Beaufort is a nice place to live! :D

Go ahead and kick it up! :D ...but since you did, you're obligated to post pics! :yo:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just did some editing on this to bring back some of the pics and thought I'd bump it...because this tank is awesome!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Joe is still around and his tank is still going.
Man! Somebody needs to ask him to update his build thread so we can see how it has progressed!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back