Reef tank causing bad rash

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you have any experiences with getting a very bad rash right after putting your arm in the tank? In the last few weeks or so I have started to get a very painful rash that comes out as soon as I work on my reefs. I didn't notice any issues until about 2 weeks ago. I was changing filter socks on the tanks and as I usually do, I took the old socks out to the deep sink and rinsed them out. Afterward I noticed my hands and arms itched like crazy. I thought maybe the weather had caused my skin to dry up from the dry air and heat. I never use creams or lotions but decided to put some lotion on my arm and be careful to rinse it off prior to working on the reefs. the next time I worked on the tank a few days later Again I had my hands in the sump and afterwards my hands broke out in a rash, and it hurt like the dickens. The swelling and rash were really significant this time. I realized it had happened right after working on the tank and thought it was odd because the tank and all the fish are fine so how could it cause a rash.

My wife said I should get some Benadryl and see if it helped. Long story cut short it did help with the itch but didn't help with the rash coming up as soon as I put my hands in the tank or sump. I have done a little searching on the internet and WebMD, and it matches something called Swimmers Itch. the Mayo Clinic website says:

"Swimmer’s itch, also called cercarial dermatitis, appears as a skin rash caused by an allergic reaction to certain microscopic parasites that infect some birds and mammals. These parasites are released from infected snails into fresh and salt water"

I have an appointment with the Dermatologist this morning, but I am concerned that there is a problem in my tanks. Has anyone else had this issue? What was the outcome? The tanks look fine, but I am worried anyway.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is swimmer's itch, then somehow your snails ate bird poop or were exposed to bird poop. Again, if true, the snails will produce these parasites for life. As far as I know they do not harm fish/marine life (beyond the snails), but mainly try to be "consumed" again by birds. I would consult a biologist at a local university after you have a firm documentation for answers on how to progress. You'll probably have to pitch your snails if you want it gone. I know when it gets into ponds they treat them with Copper Sulfate. But that just nukes the snails I'm pretty sure.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PelicansReef look at Rustys arm here.

we still don’t have any health updates for him

please let us know what the Dermatologist says

potential need for the arm length work gloves for reef work, to avoid histamine responses from X in the water for some aquarists is a potential fix

Last edited:

Uriken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been fortunate to never have issues with skin rashes yet I know plenty that are sensitive to various detergents and soaps AND their reef tank. I always felt it was good practice for my own protection and also the tank and water itself to wear gloves when having to have my hands in the tank. I found on Amazon to the shoulder length "rubber" gloves for 7 to 8 bucks that work great. It protects me and protects the water from me introducing lotions or soaps and such that is on the skin. I have a lot of Paly's in my tank that can release toxins un-knowingly and cause harm. The gloves give that extra layer of protection. I hope you can fix your rash issues and keep the tank going as well.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get these at tractor supply
6255F82D-B78B-453D-AC9A-B479A19C5E81.png

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PelicansReef look at Rustys arm here.

we still don’t have any health updates for him

please let us know what the Dermatologist says

potential need for the arm length work gloves for reef work, to avoid histamine responses from X in the water for some aquarists is a potential fix
That is a bit worse than I am having problems with. Although, I just started to have issues and really can't say what is causing the problem. I have a 12 Noon Dr. appointment and after taking a shower this morning I am having an itching problem, so it is hard to say what is causing it. I know that yesterday when I cleaned the socks in both tanks It was a real issue right after I took my arms out oof the tank. and it seems to go away if I take Benadryl and put anti itch Benadryl cream on it.

I'll keep you posted about what the Dr has to say

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have 2 elegance corals but have had them for over a year without an issue
Well it doesn't happen everytime she puts her hand in the tank but she works at the LFS and has now learned to put on rubber gloves anytime she puts her hand in the tank with the euphyllias. I cant say that is it but a coral could be the cause.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank back in 2012 would give some skin irritation. The insides Of my arms would sting and have red marks. It didn’t do it every time but often enough. I just ignored it and eventually it stoped happening.

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure hope that is the case for me. I have had marine aquariums for 25 years. I'm not sure what will be the long term with this problem but given that I just ordered a new 375G planet aquarium to replace the current 220 I am not likely to give up on the hobby. I am going to buy some long sleeve gloves for now, but I would sure like to find a better solution

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure hope that is the case for me. I have had marine aquariums for 25 years. I'm not sure what will be the long term with this problem but given that I just ordered a new 375G planet aquarium to replace the current 220 I am not likely to give up on the hobby. I am going to buy some long sleeve gloves for now, but I would sure like to find a better solution
I use these long sleeve atlas gloves. .
You can't do any fine detail work with them on because the fingers are slightly bulky, but you don't have to worry as much about them getting cut. I cut and glue down frags with them on, so they're good enough for me. . I handle a lot of zoas, which is why I have them

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link. Most of the long sleeve gloves I have seen are a bit bulky, but I guess I will have to figure it out. This hobby never seems to be easy. I guess that's why I like it so much. The challenges are never ending. I am hoping that when we do the tank change over to the new 375G I will be able to remove most of the old snails and sand and such and start with a bit cleaner system. Only time will tell

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that level of sensitivity to items only in suspension/no skin breaks required means you're very likely to develop severe issues from vermitid pokes and common rock scrapes. handling a hundred pounds of aged reef rock is very risky it seems, that's what Rusty was doing all at once. you need rubber gloves for the hands on that job, on top of the extended plastic gloves to keep water off skin.

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I need to discuss all of this with my Dr. at my appointment in an hour or so. I had not really thought too much about that as the tank isn't due to be delivered until mid to late Feb. I assume I will figure out some type of nitrile glove and shoulder length gloves with a cloth glove over that type of arrangement for the actual rock transfer. It actually will be a 2-step transfer. We have to move the current tank and contents to the kitchen then replace the carpet before installing the new tank and reloading the new tank.

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you know if Ozone would help get rid of the "microscopic parasites" if that ends up being the issue. I just reinstalled my UV sterilizer yesterday thinking that may help with any floating bugs/microbes type issues.

Is there a way to tell if I actually have a parasitic issue in the tank? Both tanks seem fine although the smaller (90G) kitchen tank does have a small cyno/diatom problem. It's a newer (6 months old) system so that is about the way the big tank progressed when it was newer. We do move corals back and forth from time to time so that could cross contaminate if that's possible.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I predict there’s nothing you can do to mitigate the issue it will be an ongoing risk and sensitivity some individuals have or develop

I strongly bet that blocking physical contact with water and substrates will be required

nothing is wrong with your reef, these irritants and the selective human responses to them are evenly distributed among setups Ill bet, can’t wait to see what Dr. says

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you have any experiences with getting a very bad rash right after putting your arm in the tank? In the last few weeks or so I have started to get a very painful rash that comes out as soon as I work on my reefs. I didn't notice any issues until about 2 weeks ago. I was changing filter socks on the tanks and as I usually do, I took the old socks out to the deep sink and rinsed them out. Afterward I noticed my hands and arms itched like crazy. I thought maybe the weather had caused my skin to dry up from the dry air and heat. I never use creams or lotions but decided to put some lotion on my arm and be careful to rinse it off prior to working on the reefs. the next time I worked on the tank a few days later Again I had my hands in the sump and afterwards my hands broke out in a rash, and it hurt like the dickens. The swelling and rash were really significant this time. I realized it had happened right after working on the tank and thought it was odd because the tank and all the fish are fine so how could it cause a rash.

My wife said I should get some Benadryl and see if it helped. Long story cut short it did help with the itch but didn't help with the rash coming up as soon as I put my hands in the tank or sump. I have done a little searching on the internet and WebMD, and it matches something called Swimmers Itch. the Mayo Clinic website says:

"Swimmer’s itch, also called cercarial dermatitis, appears as a skin rash caused by an allergic reaction to certain microscopic parasites that infect some birds and mammals. These parasites are released from infected snails into fresh and salt water"

I have an appointment with the Dermatologist this morning, but I am concerned that there is a problem in my tanks. Has anyone else had this issue? What was the outcome? The tanks look fine, but I am worried anyway.
could be "swimmers itch" wayy more likely to just be dry skin, salt dries that **** out like crazy and the needed washing hands off and drying them dries them, winter weather dries them, most house heating is really dry. Put some moisturizer on them at night

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.7%

Back