OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK just got back from the DR.

She says it is not likely a parasite issue because it goes away on its own. She doesn't think it is swimmer's itch. It is likely I just developed an allergic reaction to saltwater. She compared it to someone that becomes allergic to anything else like food etc. She says not much I can do other than keep contact with the saltwater to a minimum and she gave me a Rx for a steroid cream to help with any outbreaks that do occur. I am going to order some long sleeve gloves and try to keep contact down to a minimum. Hopefully that will minimize the problems and resolve the issue.

I will figure out a work around of some type to accommodate the problem. It is just amazing to me that suddenly after years of playing with reefs I develop a negative reaction. and when I say suddenly It literally happened almost overnight. I am going to try to limit my contact over the next month or so and hope it solves itself.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very valuable follow up thank you. I have a feeling these issues are going to expand not contract in the number of presentations/posts.

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I would like to hear from those who have had this type of reaction and what steps they took to continue in the hobby while being hamstrung by not being able to get their arms wet with saltwater.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
Well, I would like to hear from those who have had this type of reaction and what steps they took to continue in the hobby while being hamstrung by not being able to get their arms wet with saltwater.
Are the bumps in pictures cause by the saltwater as well?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kershaw that's really good. What does wet arm by freshly mixed saltwater do/ not from tank

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know about fresh Saltwater. II will give it a shot latter tonight and let you know. I haven't done any water changes since this started
Yours looks allot worse then mine. And mine did not itch, it stung. Does this happen to both arms or only that one? Also have you noticed if the duration of contact with water makes a difference?
I would also consider maybe try a lotion maybe before bed every day.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you have any experiences with getting a very bad rash right after putting your arm in the tank? In the last few weeks or so I have started to get a very painful rash that comes out as soon as I work on my reefs. I didn't notice any issues until about 2 weeks ago. I was changing filter socks on the tanks and as I usually do, I took the old socks out to the deep sink and rinsed them out. Afterward I noticed my hands and arms itched like crazy. I thought maybe the weather had caused my skin to dry up from the dry air and heat. I never use creams or lotions but decided to put some lotion on my arm and be careful to rinse it off prior to working on the reefs. the next time I worked on the tank a few days later Again I had my hands in the sump and afterwards my hands broke out in a rash, and it hurt like the dickens. The swelling and rash were really significant this time. I realized it had happened right after working on the tank and thought it was odd because the tank and all the fish are fine so how could it cause a rash.

My wife said I should get some Benadryl and see if it helped. Long story cut short it did help with the itch but didn't help with the rash coming up as soon as I put my hands in the tank or sump. I have done a little searching on the internet and WebMD, and it matches something called Swimmers Itch. the Mayo Clinic website says:

"Swimmer’s itch, also called cercarial dermatitis, appears as a skin rash caused by an allergic reaction to certain microscopic parasites that infect some birds and mammals. These parasites are released from infected snails into fresh and salt water"

I have an appointment with the Dermatologist this morning, but I am concerned that there is a problem in my tanks. Has anyone else had this issue? What was the outcome? The tanks look fine, but I am worried anyway.
Well first of all keep your hand in your pocke or ware glows :)
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours looks allot worse then mine. And mine did not itch, it stung. Does this happen to both arms or only that one? Also have you noticed if the duration of contact with water makes a difference?
I would also consider maybe try a lotion maybe before bed every day.
Yea it is pretty bad and it itch's/burns like heck. It seems like if I have my hand in the water longer it gets worse. when I did the sock change, I had my hands in the sump for a while and it really went nuts. Today I got some frags from Jason Fox and put them in the tank but didn't really spend a lot of time in the tank and it wasn't as bad

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Dr. just replied to my link from 265 reef on prior page, a reefkeeping physician. gold post analysis.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a man coming up on that coming of age event of getting checked for prostate cancer.... those gloves are absolutely terrifying to me.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK just got back from the DR.

She says it is not likely a parasite issue because it goes away on its own. She doesn't think it is swimmer's itch. It is likely I just developed an allergic reaction to saltwater. She compared it to someone that becomes allergic to anything else like food etc. She says not much I can do other than keep contact with the saltwater to a minimum and she gave me a Rx for a steroid cream to help with any outbreaks that do occur. I am going to order some long sleeve gloves and try to keep contact down to a minimum. Hopefully that will minimize the problems and resolve the issue.

I will figure out a work around of some type to accommodate the problem. It is just amazing to me that suddenly after years of playing with reefs I develop a negative reaction. and when I say suddenly It literally happened almost overnight. I am going to try to limit my contact over the next month or so and hope it solves itself.
2 things

could be a reaction due to dryness

be very careful not to get cream in the tank

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 things

could be a reaction due to dryness

be very careful not to get cream in the tank
Agree with this. Maybe the winter dryness is adding to the irritation. The salt is just setting it over the edge.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a test dip in freshly mixed saltwater will be safe and telling. safe insofar as I've never heard of anaphylaxis from reef crystals or IO saltwater/ apologies if the one person having that is reading.

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very well could be winter dryness is compounding the problem. I have had tanks for 25 Years and never had an issue. However, I turned 70 this year and there is a heck of a lot of things that were never problems before that are a real PIA now. (LOL)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back