Reef tank causing bad rash

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have euphyllias? I have a friend who breaks out from euphyllias.
I have torch and hammer corals that give me an itchy rash on the top of my hand spanning thumb, index, and middle finger every time I move them. Neosporin always solves the problem for me. I think maybe it dries up whatever toxin was transferred to the skin.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my experiences over awhile. Got cut up with some live rock years ago. Ended up with a mild fistulous tract (draining tract) on my thumb that caused problems on and off for a year or two. Came to find out there was some tiny pieces of rock inbedded in the area. Was opened and cleaned, and hasn't been a problem since. I work in the veterinary field and clean my hands constantly, even more so during this covid crap. That much washing will dry out your hands horribly and will lead to a rash very similar to what you are seeing. It is much worse in the winter when it's cold and dry, and almost non exsistent in the summertime (unless a lot of surgical procedures are going on). Putting that in saltwater makes it much worse I have found. Best course of action I have found is start lotioning the crap out of the area, keep it as dry as possible. Grab a beer, sit back and enjoy the tank, and keep your hands out for a bit. Would be surprised if it doesn't completely clear up. Also it could be a dermal reaction to stuff in the tank obviously (paly toxin, cyano or other algaes can make toxins as well). Consider UV, ozone, carbon reactor etc.

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK Up
So my experiences over awhile. Got cut up with some live rock years ago. Ended up with a mild fistulous tract (draining tract) on my thumb that caused problems on and off for a year or two. Came to find out there was some tiny pieces of rock inbedded in the area. Was opened and cleaned, and hasn't been a problem since. I work in the veterinary field and clean my hands constantly, even more so during this covid crap. That much washing will dry out your hands horribly and will lead to a rash very similar to what you are seeing. It is much worse in the winter when it's cold and dry, and almost non exsistent in the summertime (unless a lot of surgical procedures are going on). Putting that in saltwater makes it much worse I have found. Best course of action I have found is start lotioning the crap out of the area, keep it as dry as possible. Grab a beer, sit back and enjoy the tank, and keep your hands out for a bit. Would be surprised if it doesn't completely clear up. Also it could be a dermal reaction to stuff in the tank obviously (paly toxin, cyano or other algaes can make toxins as well). Consider UV, ozone, carbon reactor etc.
Thanks for the reply. Good information

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats amazing and starts to localize your irritants, chemical vs biological sounds pertinent here. amazing stuff

so you get more reaction from fresh mixed saltwater than a running reef. I retract my statement above about anaphylaxis make sure to have an inhaler and epipen ready, dang man.

how were you able to do water changes and such all this time? any other contaminants in the prep water you can think of that may be different?

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I did have a reaction. Not of the level that would be dangerous but surely painful. I think Jubei2006
May be on the right track. I had not really thought about fresh saltwater since this all seems to have happened in the last couple of weeks

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well thank you for updating, posting, relaying a diagnostic MD opinion from today and subjecting your squamous cell epithelia to our benefit honestly. this was an amazing post and a helpful warning to others to at least factor the possibilities.

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listen to your doctor.

Also, never had a reaction from my tank but do have a related story:

My son started getting red, irritated areas on his face and neck some time ago. Took a bit to figure out why but long story short, he has sensitive skin and the family dogs would lick him when playing and cause these breakouts.

So I called the dogs out back and got my shotgun, and then...

Kidding. We just taught the dogs & the boy no face licking. Problem solved.

So kinda simple, I suggest gloves from now on and/or no bare hands/arms in the tank.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'm fanatical about not letting anyone put their hands hear the tank if they use lotion. I rarely use lotion which may be part of the problem.
I periodically have something similar happen but not to the same extent as you. I notice it when my arms are dry so there are probably microscopic breaks in my skin. When it happens it's usually on the inner side of my arm. I think the skin is more sensitive there. Thankfully it goes away not long after. I always have my hands in one of my tanks (FW and SW) so I never put cream on which probably contributes to the dryness and possible skin breaks.

It could also be an allergy/sensitivity you developed. It's like a friend of mine who was a hairdresser. One day she broke out in a rash while using the chemicals to do a perm. It was only periodically until one day it started and it kept happening. Even wearing gloves didn't help. She had to find a different career because she couldn't be around the chemicals anymore. She'd been a hairdresser for years before it happened the first time. It's crazy how the body can react. Hopefully for you gloves will resolves the problem.

Out of curiosity has anything changed in your tank like a new coral that maybe you're sensitive to or a change in salt or you started dosing something?

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really say anything has changed in the tank. actually, I have been staying out of the tanks for a while. The holidays kind of took over and other than day to day maintenance nothing has changed a lot. I am going to try to lotion up late at night and see if I can get a little moisture back in my arms and hands. I ordered some shoulder length gloves and I am looking to get a set of grabbers to move stuff around the tank. All of that should give my dry old skin a chance to recover and hopefully it will get better soon

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done a little searching on the internet and WebMD, and it matches something called Swimmers Itch. the Mayo Clinic website says:

"Swimmer’s itch, also called cercarial dermatitis, appears as a skin rash caused by an allergic reaction to certain microscopic parasites that infect some birds and mammals. These parasites are released from infected snails into fresh and salt water"
I never had a problem with freshwater tanks for 40 years but I have a reaction every time I put my hands in my saltwater tank. So for me it’s a reaction to the salt mix. My skin itches and burns.

It is likely I just developed an allergic reaction to saltwater.
Yes, that’s what I think. Just like I have.

What I do is whenever I put my hands and arms in the tank (the longer it stays in there, the more it itches/burns) I always rinse the skin in cold water (unde the tap) for 10-15 seconds.

And that does the trick for me. I rarely forget but if I do, I will be reminded later.

I hope you can control it.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you have any experiences with getting a very bad rash right after putting your arm in the tank? In the last few weeks or so I have started to get a very painful rash that comes out as soon as I work on my reefs. I didn't notice any issues until about 2 weeks ago. I was changing filter socks on the tanks and as I usually do, I took the old socks out to the deep sink and rinsed them out. Afterward I noticed my hands and arms itched like crazy. I thought maybe the weather had caused my skin to dry up from the dry air and heat. I never use creams or lotions but decided to put some lotion on my arm and be careful to rinse it off prior to working on the reefs. the next time I worked on the tank a few days later Again I had my hands in the sump and afterwards my hands broke out in a rash, and it hurt like the dickens. The swelling and rash were really significant this time. I realized it had happened right after working on the tank and thought it was odd because the tank and all the fish are fine so how could it cause a rash.

My wife said I should get some Benadryl and see if it helped. Long story cut short it did help with the itch but didn't help with the rash coming up as soon as I put my hands in the tank or sump. I have done a little searching on the internet and WebMD, and it matches something called Swimmers Itch. the Mayo Clinic website says:

"Swimmer’s itch, also called cercarial dermatitis, appears as a skin rash caused by an allergic reaction to certain microscopic parasites that infect some birds and mammals. These parasites are released from infected snails into fresh and salt water"

I have an appointment with the Dermatologist this morning, but I am concerned that there is a problem in my tanks. Has anyone else had this issue? What was the outcome? The tanks look fine, but I am worried anyway.

I had this issue for a while with my lfs I was at part time. It just kinda went away at one point. I saw a dematologist and they guessed I might just be allergic to something in the water (or something in the water was irritating my skin). It wasn't an infection. I wonder if it was a certain element in the water that got depleted eventually.

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dermatologist gave me a steroidal cream to use if I have a bad reaction. Part of what she said is that I may never get over it or it may go away completely on its own. She tells me if I refrain from getting my arms in the tank and use the cream for a couple of weeks it may solve itself or at least become tolerable. She also indicated I should try to get a little moisture in my skin by using a quality skin cream and moisturizer and try not to use heavy soaps that strip away natural oil from my skin.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it is really hard for me not to have hands in the tank. My wife's comment was this problem may help the tank. You wont be able to mess with it as much
Aren’t they all like that. Mine sad on the other day you have changed water not long ago why now? So I said “Well because I am actually cleaning the sand and will loose some water during the process so may as well use the water I mix. And just for your record I haven’t changed water for six months “

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE!!!

Below is information from an article given to me by another dermatologist.

"Blue-green algae, also known as cyanobacteria, is what most people know as “pond scum.” It floats on the top of the water or lies below the surface and can “bloom” when the water is warm and calm. It sometimes produces toxins (cyanotoxins) that can be irritating to skin or trigger an allergic reaction. Coming into contact with it can make skin red, swollen and sore. Small blisters sometimes develop.

Blue-green algae can be found in fresh water, salt water or mixed “brackish” water. If you’re exposed to it, remove any contaminated clothing and jewelry and wash your skin with soap and water for 10 to 15 minutes. Not everyone who comes into contact with blue-green algae develops symptoms, but if you do, antihistamines and hydrocortisone cream can help relieve them."

I have a running problem with brown (algae/dyno/cyno) for months. It's never been a real problem just ugly. The rash issue just started right after Christmas.

Have any of you had issues with a rash that coincides with Cyno?

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you have any experiences with getting a very bad rash right after putting your arm in the tank? In the last few weeks or so I have started to get a very painful rash that comes out as soon as I work on my reefs. I didn't notice any issues until about 2 weeks ago. I was changing filter socks on the tanks and as I usually do, I took the old socks out to the deep sink and rinsed them out. Afterward I noticed my hands and arms itched like crazy. I thought maybe the weather had caused my skin to dry up from the dry air and heat. I never use creams or lotions but decided to put some lotion on my arm and be careful to rinse it off prior to working on the reefs. the next time I worked on the tank a few days later Again I had my hands in the sump and afterwards my hands broke out in a rash, and it hurt like the dickens. The swelling and rash were really significant this time. I realized it had happened right after working on the tank and thought it was odd because the tank and all the fish are fine so how could it cause a rash.

My wife said I should get some Benadryl and see if it helped. Long story cut short it did help with the itch but didn't help with the rash coming up as soon as I put my hands in the tank or sump. I have done a little searching on the internet and WebMD, and it matches something called Swimmers Itch. the Mayo Clinic website says:

I have an appointment with the Dermatologist this morning, but I am concerned that there is a problem in my tanks. Has anyone else had this issue? What was the outcome? The tanks look fine, but I am worried anyway.
I get that. I’m allergic to my own sweat. It’s the salt. Try to rinse your arms off well after you put them into the tank and then dry them well. Should solve your problem

Tegridy Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have this issue

I switched salts and sometime will get it with nems and euphylia and mushrooms

But after I switch from brightwell to Red Sea the issue cleared up quickly

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to help. The Dr. gave me a Rx for a steroidal cream that I use after washing and drying my arms. I ordered shoulder length gloves, but they are kind of flimsy and leak. I'm hoping someone may have had this problem and found a solution. It is really driving me crazy. I have never had a problem with allergies, and I have a number of tanks. I work on/around every day and really do love the hobby but is really a PIA at the moment

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back