Reef tank in apartment

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently apartment hunting and looking at a few different ones. Most are 1 bedroom and 800-1000 square feet, wondering for all the people on here that have a reef tank in an apartment how it works out? My tank is 100G and dimensions are 4ft by 2ft wide and 16 inches tall. The thought of moving it scares me to death but that is for another thread when I actually find a place.

Do you guys think it would work out for me? Of course I will have to ask the landlord if I am allowed a tank and I would be more comfortable if the floor was concrete as well as I would get insurance for it

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am currently apartment hunting and looking at a few different ones. Most are 1 bedroom and 800-1000 square feet, wondering for all the people on here that have a reef tank in an apartment how it works out? My tank is 100G and dimensions are 4ft by 2ft wide and 16 inches tall. The thought of moving it scares me to death but that is for another thread when I actually find a place.

Do you guys think it would work out for me? Of course I will have to ask the landlord if I am allowed a tank and I would be more comfortable if the floor was concrete as well as I would get insurance for it
1. You're correct - ask the landlord.
2. Rental insurance - ask them - and whether the floor is concrete or not - get insurance and also verify (with an email - in writing) - that if your water goes to the apartments below - that you're covered.

There was a long thread about this a week or so ago. I think it will work out for you - if you dot all of your I's and Cross all of your T's.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. You're correct - ask the landlord.
2. Rental insurance - ask them - and whether the floor is concrete or not - get insurance and also verify (with an email - in writing) - that if your water goes to the apartments below - that you're covered.

There was a long thread about this a week or so ago. I think it will work out for you - if you dot all of your I's and Cross all of your T's.
Thank you, this will be my first time living on my own with my other half so I don’t know of all the rules just yet. I’ll take a look for that other thread

Black Dog Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 75g total water volume (60g display and 15g sump) in a second floor apartment with no issues outside of the one time I forgot to turn off the RODI unit and it overflowed while I was at work. Everything dried up and there were no further issues but my $10 a month renters insurance would have covered it regardless. This particular complex had 100g limit (as did a few that I looked at in my area) so I would imagine you’d be okay!

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 75g total water volume (60g display and 15g sump) in a second floor apartment with no issues outside of the one time I forgot to turn off the RODI unit and it overflowed while I was at work. Everything dried up and there were no further issues but my $10 a month renters insurance would have covered it regardless. This particular complex had 100g limit (as did a few that I looked at in my area) so I would imagine you’d be okay!
Very happy to hear that! I did the one thing to never do, listen to google! I got super stressed thinking I was going to have to get rid of my tank but I don’t know if I would be able to do that. Hoping for the best when I go see the place this week

Black Dog Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very happy to hear that! I did the one thing to never do, listen to google! I got super stressed thinking I was going to have to get rid of my tank but I don’t know if I would be able to do that. Hoping for the best when I go see the place this week
I did them same lol, everything should be fine! They didn’t charge the fee of having a pet either which I’m sure google told you they will. I would say as long as you don’t bother anyone else with it, why would it be an issue? Even after I flooded my below neighbors apart with RODI water it wasn’t an issue so that should put your mind at ease haha.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did them same lol, everything should be fine! They didn’t charge the fee of having a pet either which I’m sure google told you they will. I would say as long as you don’t bother anyone else with it, why would it be an issue? Even after I flooded my below neighbors apart with RODI water it wasn’t an issue so that should put your mind at ease haha.
I'm going to say - especially in this case, every case depends on the lease and the renters insurance. Of course if you have no leak - there is no problem. If you have a big problem - you could have a huge problem. There are multiple threads on R2R - and various insurance do not cover aquaria at all. Many do not cover pet damage (which this would be) - Many do not cover damage to a neighbors apartment (in this case, downstairs). To the OP - IMHO - verify with your landlord - in writing- that you can have a tank of xxxx gallons. Then verify in writing with your insurance agent that it covers damage from Aquaria - both to your apartment and anyone underneath you. As to what 'google says' - Google says everything from 'don't worry about it' to 'worry about it'. But - it's all extremely specific to the particular landlord and particular insurance.

For example - people have had to take down their tanks (my experience) when renting - once the landlord found out about it. The only thing that saved me was the fact that I was moving out in 2 weeks.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, my only other concern is the floor, hoping it’s made out of concrete if not I will be worried about it going through

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to say - especially in this case, every case depends on the lease and the renters insurance. Of course if you have no leak - there is no problem. If you have a big problem - you could have a huge problem. There are multiple threads on R2R - and various insurance do not cover aquaria at all. Many do not cover pet damage (which this would be) - Many do not cover damage to a neighbors apartment (in this case, downstairs). To the OP - IMHO - verify with your landlord - in writing- that you can have a tank of xxxx gallons. Then verify in writing with your insurance agent that it covers damage from Aquaria - both to your apartment and anyone underneath you. As to what 'google says' - Google says everything from 'don't worry about it' to 'worry about it'. But - it's all extremely specific to the particular landlord and particular insurance.

For example - people have had to take down their tanks (my experience) when renting - once the landlord found out about it. The only thing that saved me was the fact that I was moving out in 2 weeks.
Thank you! I will for sure get both of those in writing to cover my behind so it doesn’t come back to me. This is all hoping that he says it’s ok to have

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely get on a ground floor and you’ll be fine. I’ve seen apartments packed with tanks. But always on the ground floor. And for good reason.
There are none available on ground floor and if the floor is concrete that I’m on I won’t be nervous at all

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you! I will for sure get both of those in writing to cover my behind so it doesn’t come back to me. This is all hoping that he says it’s ok to have
Every case is going to be different depending on the landlord, lease, insurance, building age/type ect. Get it in writing saying so if it is allowed. A 100 gallon tank is pushing 1000 lbs fully loaded!

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every case is going to be different depending on the landlord, lease, insurance, building age/type ect. Get it in writing saying so if it is allowed. A 100 gallon tank is pushing 1000 lbs fully loaded!
She’s a heavy one for sure! If they say no I will be super upset, really would break my heart to sell the tank but it’s the perfect apartment for me. I’m up here in Ontario so buying a house is out of the question, prices are absurd.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have moved my 25G Waterbox aquarium, along with a 30 gallon sump multiple times with no problems.
The biggest thing I would say is just make sure you wipe down the surface you place it on for any rocks or particles and keep it on a foam mat. You will definitely need help moving it, I personally would use a UPS, and maybe run a power board to power an aerator, fixed to gang valve split to multiple foam boxes and heaters for each holding box during transportation. Although I'm an aquarium freak and just have heaters everywhere and all the equipment necessary to do it without actually buying something. You could buy battery powered heaters/aerators or if you're organized and move very fast, you could probably do it without any of those but it's also kind of circumstantial. How long will it take you to aquascape, what's the weather in your area. That kind of thing.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved my 25G Waterbox aquarium, along with a 30 gallon sump multiple times with no problems.
The biggest thing I would say is just make sure you wipe down the surface you place it on for any rocks or particles and keep it on a foam mat. You will definitely need help moving it, I personally would use a UPS, and maybe run a power board to power an aerator, fixed to gang valve split to multiple foam boxes and heaters for each holding box during transportation. Although I'm an aquarium freak and just have heaters everywhere and all the equipment necessary to do it without actually buying something. You could buy battery powered heaters/aerators or if you're organized and move very fast, you could probably do it without any of those but it's also kind of circumstantial. How long will it take you to aquascape, what's the weather in your area. That kind of thing.
I’m looking at places about 15 minutes away from here, weather will be nearing 0 degrees Celsius by then probably so I would need quite a few heaters.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am honestly surprised that nobody has made a AIO with sump / self contained leak protection, and stand combination. Made specifically for Apartments or any situation where a leak is a BIG deal.

Last edited:

Badboyan93l

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Landlord does not have to know. But it would be good just in case any cracks or spills occur. I usto live in in a second floor in a house, and the floors were old and squeaky. Just a bit of Water fell and the landlord was ticked. I then moved out to a first floor apartment in a coop building with solid floors, no one below me. I then upgraded from a 55g to a 125g, it’s been 7 years with no issues. However the big issue is that I have to move next month or so and need assistance with the move lol. But overall, try to get you an apartment on the first floor in a building which is much better. If it’s in a house you must pray no one lives does stairs and if so, be very careful with spills and the RODI. Try to get the tank super leveled. Good luck

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back