Has anyone had or currently has a fish tank in an apartment? Especially a bigger one?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m currently job hunting and apartment searching and I’d really love to keep my porcupine pufferfish with me which would mean having a 75 gallon tank in an apartment with a possible upgrade. I know it would probably have to be on the first floor. I also know I can’t have everything sadly so I know an apartment may mean no fish tank at all. What is your experience with fish tanks in apartments? I know many may limit the size etc. so I’m wondering if you ever had a big fish tank in an apartment? If so where was it and what was the size? I also recognize every apartment and lease is going to be different but I’d love to hear experiences on this.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 50 gal in a condo in Brooklyn, NY, 20 years ago. I rented from private landlord and it was eons ago.
I have a feeling that nowadays it would be more difficult, especially if you rent from bigger company.
Good luck!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got married my wife and I lived in a crappy little apartment and I had a 55g and 75g in my living room and another 55g in a bedroom.
The landlord told me nothing bigger than a 75g, but I think they just made that rule up when I asked. I doubt there was anything in the lease agreement about aquariums.
Looking back on it I’m surprised it didn’t fall through the floor (second story apartment) because the floors were really bad. When someone walked across the floor everything in the apartment would shake.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rent a condo, read through the lease and it says nothing about fish tanks at all in the lease so I just got my tanks and never told them. Renters insurance covers water damage too which is the only reason I did so. My cousin rented houses and apartments with his 140 for years before buying a house, he never told anyone about his tank either lol

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I rent a condo, read through the lease and it says nothing about fish tanks at all in the lease so I just got my tanks and never told them. Renters insurance covers water damage too which is the only reason I did so. My cousin rented houses and apartments with his 140 for years before buying a house, he never told anyone about his tank either lol
One could argue this if it’s not stated in the lease and you have insurance then there shouldn’t be a big deal. I like the don’t ask don’t tell logic lol.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First time I've actually seen fish tanks allowed with restrictions on the lease details & fees!
IMG_3368.png

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time I've actually seen fish tanks allowed with restrictions on the lease details & fees!
IMG_3368.png
Ooo if its listed than yeah might be an issue. And thats how I went about mine, not listed so they cant do anything legally

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ooo if its listed than yeah might be an issue. And thats how I went about mine, not listed so they cant do anything legally
Well it’s not on a majority of other ones. So one option could be asking for a copy of the lease from multiple landlords and reading the fine print lol.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently job hunting and apartment searching and I’d really love to keep my porcupine pufferfish with me which would mean having a 75 gallon tank in an apartment with a possible upgrade. I know it would probably have to be on the first floor. I also know I can’t have everything sadly so I know an apartment may mean no fish tank at all. What is your experience with fish tanks in apartments? I know many may limit the size etc. so I’m wondering if you ever had a big fish tank in an apartment? If so where was it and what was the size? I also recognize every apartment and lease is going to be different but I’d love to hear experiences on this.
Yes. I never asked I just paid the rent and kept the curtains closed.

Then we rented a house in Long Beach and I asked if we could paint the walls before we moved in. Place was poorly painted and lots of crappie colored rooms. They said no, but on the day we moved in they changed their mind and said go ahead.

And then they dropped by and checked out the inside of the house when we were not home. I changed the locks and asked them to call if they wanted to come back, just like the rental agreement provided for.

And later I installed a dishwasher in the kitchen and a garage door opener in the garage and a 5x8 plywood Koi pond in the front room. They came to look but didn’t say anything. Our neighbors loved the pond and strangers would come knocking on our door and ask to see the pond.

I has 125 gallon reef also, and so I have been able to find a way, rarely asked, don’t have “pets” but no one complained when I told them I had a fish bowl.

Look for ground floor apartments with a garden gate. That way you don’t have to carry a tank upstairs or in the lift. If you do, wrap it like furniture and don’t bump it along the way.

Renters insurance for floods is not a bad thing either.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you might want to train Hubbie to not spit water out of the tank. He’s your fish, not a pet, much more than a pet.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you might want to train Hubbie to not spit water out of the tank. He’s your fish, not a pet, much more than a pet.
Im laughing at the thought of Hewbie being a full size puffer one day and what his puddles will be like then!

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have my 180 gallon in my 4th floor apartment, previously had an 80 gallon in a first floor (but above the basement).

Upgrading both apartment and tank, I needed to ensure that my new home could support the tank weight, so exclusively looked into newer buildings with reinforced concrete floors. Then viewed my current place and asked about their fish tank policy and size limits, they had no problem and the lease only mentions requirements for cats and dogs.

A couple caveats though… My apartment, fish tank or not, requires a hefty rental insurance policy, $500k coverage for damage to other units. I also think NYC living comes with a bit laissez-fairness, so we tend to look the other way as long as no one is being harmed.

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My previous 120gal tank was in a house but I moved after my ex and I broke up and sold the house. I currently live on the 2nd floor of an apartment with a tank here in the Mission Valley neighborhood of San Diego. It’s a nano though and has been running for over 2 years now. Never asked the management about it or anything. I just said screw it, I want another reef tank. They eventually found out about it but don’t seem to care.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I actually think it’s really cute when he does this and like when he does just not so much when he does it directly in my face! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Wife Surprised me with a Visit to a Senior’s Condo. When ever I asked about Fish Aquariums, she skirted the question. When we got back to the office the other agent, asked me how big are my aquariums, 30, 65, and 120. She said, “Oh, those are really big.” With all the extra charges, Condo Fees, Maintenances Fees, Extra for parking, it was a no go. Nice Dog and Pony Show thought. BTW When I worked for a Company that had a Condo Care side, our number 1 call for water leaks, was the Clothes Washers.

sam150720

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sam150720

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you refer to as a big reef tank. I had a 150 gallon extra high reef tank with a 40 gallon sump in my studio apartment from 05-2010. Make sure you're tank goes across multiple joist.

Attachments

• IMG_20210928_082326_058.jpg
    IMG_20210928_082326_058.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 30
  • FB_IMG_1653941471306.jpg
    FB_IMG_1653941471306.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 36

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back