Has anyone had or currently has a fish tank in an apartment? Especially a bigger one?

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d for sure make it that it’s a first floor apt. It would suck carrying 50 gallons of water up flights of stairs ha!
just make sure where ever you put it, keep it in a room that has lots of air flow. Also make sure you map out the apt to make sure you like it in an area before placing it. You don’t want to become annoyed after a few days to months

Edit: 75 gallons of water lol

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m currently job hunting and apartment searching and I’d really love to keep my porcupine pufferfish with me which would mean having a 75 gallon tank in an apartment with a possible upgrade. I know it would probably have to be on the first floor. I also know I can’t have everything sadly so I know an apartment may mean no fish tank at all. What is your experience with fish tanks in apartments? I know many may limit the size etc. so I’m wondering if you ever had a big fish tank in an apartment? If so where was it and what was the size? I also recognize every apartment and lease is going to be different but I’d love to hear experiences on this.
I would consider a couple things:

1. Make sure you have permission from the landlord.
2. Even if on the 'first floor', make sure there is enough support below (some apartments have basements' - or there may be reasons to put the tank in one area vs another.
3. Make sure your rental policy covers damage incase something happens to the aquarium (i.e. if it breaks and damages other apartments nearby - as well as covering any damage to your apartment.
4. If you're living in an apartment where utilities are paid in the rent - there may be an objection from other tenants.

I had a 90 gallon tank in an apartment many years ago - and did not follow items 1 and 2. Once the landlord found out he made me take it down. (I was moving out shortly thereafter - so it didn't make any difference.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Had a 180 Gallon in our apartment in Brooklyn for 6 years...with 75 Gallon Sump underneath.

We made sure it went perpendicular to floor joists against exterior wall, that's all.

Oh, I made sure my renters policy was always paid.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I rent a condo, read through the lease and it says nothing about fish tanks at all in the lease so I just got my tanks and never told them. Renters insurance covers water damage too which is the only reason I did so. My cousin rented houses and apartments with his 140 for years before buying a house, he never told anyone about his tank either lol
FWIW - not all rental policies (or homeowners policies) cover damage from an aquarium. To the OP - here is a nice article describing some of these issues: https://www.thebeginnersreef.com/do-i-need-aquarium-insurance/

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Reefer_NYC" on reddit lives in a seemingly very small apt with pretty cool reef tanks. There's video interviews on youtube.

1696348179922.png

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you may have already done this but make a list of your requirements for the apartment. Safety, floor level, location, etc. As you start going through buildings read through the agreements before you decide. There are things in there that may surprise you so you don't want any surprises should you have to terminate or change for "any" reason(s).

Some call out pets, specific, to fish, reptiles, dogs, cats, etc. Some put information like size requirements. Some ask for additional deposits due to potential damage or smells. Fish tanks, water, well if something goes bad it is a lot of damage and not every renter has rental insurance.

My point I guess is after your requirements, safety, read through the agreements and see what it says. If it doesn't call it out I would recommend asking. The last thing you want, or need, is the stress dealing with something that wasn't asked, or called out or written down when you signed should something bad happen. To include if you have renters insurance - ask about fish tanks, water damage.

A little extra effort between you and lease, agreement, will save you in the long run.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like you may have already done this but make a list of your requirements for the apartment. Safety, floor level, location, etc. As you start going through buildings read through the agreements before you decide. There are things in there that may surprise you so you don't want any surprises should you have to terminate or change for "any" reason(s).

Some call out pets, specific, to fish, reptiles, dogs, cats, etc. Some put information like size requirements. Some ask for additional deposits due to potential damage or smells. Fish tanks, water, well if something goes bad it is a lot of damage and not every renter has rental insurance.

My point I guess is after your requirements, safety, read through the agreements and see what it says. If it doesn't call it out I would recommend asking. The last thing you want, or need, is the stress dealing with something that wasn't asked, or called out or written down when you signed should something bad happen. To include if you have renters insurance - ask about fish tanks, water damage.

A little extra effort between you and lease, agreement, will save you in the long run.
This ^^^^^^. In my last post I meant to remind (everyone) - that just because something isn't mentioned in the lease does not mean you can't be sued. I.e. - it's extremely good advice to get it in writing from the landlord that you're allowed to keep xxx gallons/size tank.

csnmusic02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I lived in apartments I always had fish tank at one time I had different tanks ranging from a 210 long in the living room a 210, in my bedroom and a 120 square, the 2 210, were fresh water and the 120 square was a saltwater tank, before I moved I only had 1 210 tank but I moved across the state, right now my place I’m staying is a work house and I have a 360 in the living room

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a really cool freshwater tank 40 years ago in my second floor apartment and then I made the mistake of putting this really cute little undwater turtle in the aquarium. I woke up the next day and all my fish were gone and only the tiny 1 inch turtle remained.

seamonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 120 gallon ocean in my apartment.. I first got it while I was in a studio apartment. Now I have a 1 bedroom but the living room is small, it totally dominates the living room. Lights it all up! I’m on the first floor, got renters insurance too just in case. I’ll never move to a second floor because of the tank. Plus I don’t wanna move that dang tank upstairs. Too hard! I’m
Glad I didn’t go bigger to a 6 foot tank. I was too! I never said anything about my reef tank to the landlords, they found out eventually but they didn’t say anything. Just make sure you get renters insurance, just in case.

Last edited:

seamonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I never asked I just paid the rent and kept the curtains closed.

Then we rented a house in Long Beach and I asked if we could paint the walls before we moved in. Place was poorly painted and lots of crappie colored rooms. They said no, but on the day we moved in they changed their mind and said go ahead.

And then they dropped by and checked out the inside of the house when we were not home. I changed the locks and asked them to call if they wanted to come back, just like the rental agreement provided for.

And later I installed a dishwasher in the kitchen and a garage door opener in the garage and a 5x8 plywood Koi pond in the front room. They came to look but didn’t say anything. Our neighbors loved the pond and strangers would come knocking on our door and ask to see the pond.

I has 125 gallon reef also, and so I have been able to find a way, rarely asked, don’t have “pets” but no one complained when I told them I had a fish bowl.

Look for ground floor apartments with a garden gate. That way you don’t have to carry a tank upstairs or in the lift. If you do, wrap it like furniture and don’t bump it along the way.

Renters insurance for floods is not a bad thing either.
Cool! I’m in Long Beach too!!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! I’m in Long Beach too!!
Well, after I quit renting in Long Beach I moved to Oceanside where we are living now. I used to work downtown near the Aquarium and I rented on the Pennisula (23 63rd Place) so I could ride my bike to work on the bike path. Almost 30 years later, now. Time flies.

KenBabich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check apartment lease. I am on 2nd floor, 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment. Have 50 gallon (50 is max size on lease, no set number of tanks total) .My roommate has a 20 and 10 gallon freshwater. Renter’s insurance is a requirement (and prudent to have!). I cannot make my own saltwater so lugging the 5 gallon jugs up and down steps (no elevator) gives me good exercise. Can’t kick my roommate out to use his bathroom to make saltwater.and no space in my bathroom. I have a shelf rack in my bedroom closet to store the water out of sight. Had a 20gallon for a year before upgrading to the 50 nine months ago.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll speak in as a landlord and management company owner.

First best to ask... but if the lease is very bland about it... this is typically what it means.

We have some locations where when we say fish ok, it typically meant no larger then 20 gal, with some even 10 gal being the max. If its a house, we will OK larger tanks under the ground you bring supplementary insurance incase accidents will happen, and we will also be extra careful at inspection when you move out on the location the tank was sitting at for any damages.

However for most of the Apt complex i manage we will 99% say no when you say something larger then 20g.
You might get away with a 40g, and play it off as a terrarium, but if the manager / management company wants to play hardball you will get in trouble.

The first and foremost reason is the humidity it draws and also the weight on the floor.

If you start complaining your AC is leaking, and we walk in and realize you have a 60gal+ tank lidless, and that is the reason why the drain can not keep up with the AC condensation, then we will not only charge you, but may also push for grounds for eviction.

The other is the damage to carpet / floor.
That much weight will compress the carpet to no return, or damage the floor.

The Humidity will also wreck the paint unless you leave a dehumidifier on, so unless you intend to stay in the unit longer then a year, expect to get ducted full on security deposit for repainting.

Weight also have to do with structural and floor sponge support.
When SPC / Wooden Flooring is typically laid, there is a compressible mat that is laid under to not only dampen noise as you walk around, but also keep the floor leveled. Need i say more to what happens to the floor joints and sponge when you have something that massive laid on it for long term.
(and before someone says oh a fridge weigh's more... yes they do, but typically the kitchen doesn't have SPC or is reinforced differently to handle the weight on the floor.)

Lastly the dreaded leak.
If your tank ruptures, cracks, sump overflows, piping breaks, and all that water falls and your on a high floor, you will be held responsible for all the units below you, along with all the floor damage, and possibly if needed an engineer to examine if the floor is safe, as well as professional drying due to mold reasons, which will subject you to a lawsuit on biblical levels, that even Noah would not be able to save you with his commandments.

This is why most complex's wont even allow water beds, and if they do, they will demand you have supplementary insurance.

Again as for hiding it, its very difficult. If your tank breaks, and leaks all over the floor below, management has full rights to enter your premises without permission under the grounds of emergency. (this applies in most states, but some you may have tenant rights). I don't recommend you try to go around management, unless you live in a complex which is so ridiculously expensive in rent that they will ignore you breaking some rules. (some luxury places).

However if you must know, the biggest ways we have caught our tenants is.
1. Noise complaints from lower tenants because the tank wrecked the foam padding under SPC, so they heard everything when someone above walked around.
2. Leaking Air Conditioner from the spike in humidity and the drain valve not being able to keep up.
3. You tank leaked enough water so the floor below got the worse.
4. Maintenance request of some kind which we had to enter the unit, and the repair staff notified management, you have a big tank.

Oh and lets not talk about how many people we caught trying to hide dogs/cats.
*sigh* At least fish do not make noise at 5am or need to be taken out.

Last edited:

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in a 2nd Floor condo, we have insurance for water. I only have a fifty gallon cube because of the layout of the place and my wife’s hesitantLy on having ond

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll speak in as a landlord and management company owner.

First best to ask... but if the lease is very bland about it... this is typically what it means.

We have some locations where when we say fish ok, it typically meant no larger then 20 gal, with some even 10 gal being the max. If its a house, we will OK larger tanks under the ground you bring supplementary insurance incase accidents will happen, and we will also be extra careful at inspection when you move out on the location the tank was sitting at for any damages.

However for most of the Apt complex i manage we will 99% say no when you say something larger then 20g.
You might get away with a 40g, and play it off as a terrarium, but if the manager / management company wants to play hardball you will get in trouble.

The first and foremost reason is the humidity it draws and also the weight on the floor.

If you start complaining your AC is leaking, and we walk in and realize you have a 60gal+ tank lidless, and that is the reason why the drain can not keep up with the AC condensation, then we will not only charge you, but may also push for grounds for eviction.

The other is the damage to carpet / floor.
That much weight will compress the carpet to no return, or damage the floor.

The Humidity will also wreck the paint unless you leave a dehumidifier on, so unless you intend to stay in the unit longer then a year, expect to get ducted full on security deposit for repainting.

Weight also have to do with structural and floor sponge support.
When SPC / Wooden Flooring is typically laid, there is a compressible mat that is laid under to not only dampen noise as you walk around, but also keep the floor leveled. Need i say more to what happens to the floor joints and sponge when you have something that massive laid on it for long term.
(and before someone says oh a fridge weigh's more... yes they do, but typically the kitchen doesn't have SPC or is reinforced differently to handle the weight on the floor.)

Lastly the dreaded leak.
If your tank ruptures, cracks, sump overflows, piping breaks, and all that water falls and your on a high floor, you will be held responsible for all the units below you, along with all the floor damage, and possibly if needed an engineer to examine if the floor is safe, as well as professional drying due to mold reasons, which will subject you to a lawsuit on biblical levels, that even Noah would not be able to save you with his commandments.

This is why most complex's wont even allow water beds, and if they do, they will demand you have supplementary insurance.

Again as for hiding it, its very difficult. If your tank breaks, and leaks all over the floor below, management has full rights to enter your premises without permission under the grounds of emergency. (this applies in most states, but some you may have tenant rights). I don't recommend you try to go around management, unless you live in a complex which is so ridiculously expensive in rent that they will ignore you breaking some rules. (some luxury places).

However if you must know, the biggest ways we have caught our tenants is.
1. Noise complaints from lower tenants because the tank wrecked the foam padding under SPC, so they heard everything when someone above walked around.
2. Leaking Air Conditioner from the spike in humidity and the drain valve not being able to keep up.
3. You tank leaked enough water so the floor below got the worse.
4. Maintenance request of some kind which we had to enter the unit, and the repair staff notified management, you have a big tank.

Oh and lets not talk about how many people we caught trying to hide dogs/cats.
*sigh* At least fish do not make noise at 5am or need to be taken out.
I don’t like tanks on carpets but sometimes you have no other choice. For weight I would want to put it on a first floor ant least preferably and not a second. Thanks for the reply. My parents are landlords too and they told me absolutely not lol. But again everyone is different and every place and situation is different. I was also forced to move my big tank in the basement but that was because I spilled water on the nice rustic wood floors lol. My little 20 gallon is upstairs in my bedroom and my floors are a different type of finished hardwood so water doesn’t damage them as easily.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guess who has found large fish tank friendly apartments me! Woohoo! Manifesting moving to Florida. Actively applying for jobs. I have one interview scheduled and ideally that would be my dream job but if it doesn’t work out still searching!:)

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an Oceanic 70 gallon on a third floor apartment back in the day, ran pvc piping up the side of the house from the basement for water chages. Has a 120 in another apartment, first floor there buy never asked permission for either.

Check out our local reef club:

Boston Reefers Society

I'm a couple towns away if you ever have any questions, etc.

Vanilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my 180 gallon in my 4th floor apartment, previously had an 80 gallon in a first floor (but above the basement).

Upgrading both apartment and tank, I needed to ensure that my new home could support the tank weight, so exclusively looked into newer buildings with reinforced concrete floors. Then viewed my current place and asked about their fish tank policy and size limits, they had no problem and the lease only mentions requirements for cats and dogs.

A couple caveats though… My apartment, fish tank or not, requires a hefty rental insurance policy, $500k coverage for damage to other units. I also think NYC living comes with a bit laissez-fairness, so we tend to look the other way as long as no one is being harmed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back