Reef tank in apartment

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in a sticky spot, was given the tank by a neighbor moving out so it’s our little secret lol luckily mine’s super small & our renters insurance advertises that it covers accidental floods and water damage from any cause :grinning-face-with-sweat: Not upgrading the tank until we move since I’m definitely not 100% comfortable with the situation… lol

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Landlord does not have to know. But it would be good just in case any cracks or spills occur. I usto live in in a second floor in a house, and the floors were old and squeaky. Just a bit of Water fell and the landlord was ticked. I then moved out to a first floor apartment in a coop building with solid floors, no one below me. I then upgraded from a 55g to a 125g, it’s been 7 years with no issues. However the big issue is that I have to move next month or so and need assistance with the move lol. But overall, try to get you an apartment on the first floor in a building which is much better. If it’s in a house you must pray no one lives does stairs and if so, be very careful with spills and the RODI. Try to get the tank super leveled. Good luck
I was just going to make sure that my insurance will cover it for any reason. If the building is made of concrete (which I will make sure) it shouldn’t be a problem, and to make sure it doesn’t say no tanks in the lease

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how anyone gets away with hiding a tank. Every rental I have had has done yearly inspections. The place I am at now does them twice a year. I had my tank written into the lease.
I’m not trying to get away with it but as long as the lease doesn’t say no tank I can’t see why it would be a issue

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in a sticky spot, was given the tank by a neighbor moving out so it’s our little secret lol luckily mine’s super small & our renters insurance advertises that it covers accidental floods and water damage from any cause :grinning-face-with-sweat: Not upgrading the tank until we move since I’m definitely not 100% comfortable with the situation… lol
Are you worried about your landlord finding out?

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got excited when I saw this post because I thought I would be able to contribute, alas my tank is ten gallons. I had it my dorm for the last two years and now I have it in my apartment on the third floor. My apartment complex never checked, but a 100 gallon is a very different story. I don't know if it is the moving part that scares you, but unless you are in this apartmet for the long run I would downgrade. My friend had a 40 gallon breeder in his apartment with no problems, and I helped him move it a couple of times. Also makes it easier for us as we are both in college and have to move them during long breaks when we go home.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got excited when I saw this post because I thought I would be able to contribute, alas my tank is ten gallons. I had it my dorm for the last two years and now I have it in my apartment on the third floor. My apartment complex never checked, but a 100 gallon is a very different story. I don't know if it is the moving part that scares you, but unless you are in this apartmet for the long run I would downgrade. My friend had a 40 gallon breeder in his apartment with no problems, and I helped him move it a couple of times. Also makes it easier for us as we are both in college and have to move them during long breaks when we go home.
I agree but downgrading isn’t an option for me. In the end even though I would be downgrading I would be spending more money, the money I would get for this tank wouldn’t equal the price of a new one where I’m located. Plus I couldn’t get rid of my foxface, he’s the reason I upgraded and I don’t think I would be able to part with him

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree but downgrading isn’t an option for me. In the end even though I would be downgrading I would be spending more money, the money I would get for this tank wouldn’t equal the price of a new one where I’m located. Plus I couldn’t get rid of my foxface, he’s the reason I upgraded and I don’t think I would be able to part with him
That's totally fair, then in that case I think just going onto the ground floor and investing in some leak alarms. It will be at the mercy your landlord though, I would be upfront about it because it would be difficult to move out into another apartment if they find out later. Don't want to have to move something that size twice.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's totally fair, then in that case I think just going onto the ground floor and investing in some leak alarms. It will be at the mercy your landlord though, I would be upfront about it because it would be difficult to move out into another apartment if they find out later. Don't want to have to move something that size twice.
Very true. I do have a few apex leak detectors to cover me in that area. I’m very torn on weather to say something or not. As long as it’s concrete flooring I won’t be nervous at all, plus if the lease doesn’t even mention tanks then I will probably just bring it in

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eons ago, I lived in an apartment where my downstairs neighbor knocked on my door asking if I had water running or something? I discovered that the comforter I had in the washing machine was off and the water filling was just splashing over the side and never went it the washing machine tub. Higher chances of a problem from washers, overflowing toilets, tubs etc...that would continue flowing than just an emptying of a tank. I've lived in 10 different apartments and only one asked for renters insurance.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 210 gallon tank in our apartment. So far so good. It’s at ground level and the floor is concrete. I agree that you should get leak detectors since you have an Apex. I’m eventually going to invest in an apex so I can do the same thing.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eons ago, I lived in an apartment where my downstairs neighbor knocked on my door asking if I had water running or something? I discovered that the comforter I had in the washing machine was off and the water filling was just splashing over the side and never went it the washing machine tub. Higher chances of a problem from washers, overflowing toilets, tubs etc...that would continue flowing than just an emptying of a tank. I've lived in 10 different apartments and only one asked for renters insurance.
Never thought of that but very true. I will be getting insurance and also get it in writing that they will cover anything that happens from the tank.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 210 gallon tank in our apartment. So far so good. It’s at ground level and the floor is concrete. I agree that you should get leak detectors since you have an Apex. I’m eventually going to invest in an apex so I can do the same thing.
I have 3 but could always add more, I also have level sensors located throughout the entire sump in case of any weird things going on

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never thought of that but very true. I will be getting insurance and also get it in writing that they will cover anything that happens from the tank.
Insurance companies are also complex. Out in the Bay Area, a big storm went through and a lot of homes got ruined from wind and rain. Once the weather service classified it as a tornado, the insurance companies wouldn't pay since "tornado" wasn't specifically covered. the amount of water leakage from a tank is defined unless you have a continuous ATO set up. I would think the real issue would be weight on floor or stained rugs/salt corrosion.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Insurance companies are also complex. Out in the Bay Area, a big storm went through and a lot of homes got ruined from wind and rain. Once the weather service classified it as a tornado, the insurance companies wouldn't pay since "tornado" wasn't specifically covered. the amount of water leakage from a tank is defined unless you have a continuous ATO set up. I would think the real issue would be weight on floor or stained rugs/salt corrosion.
Exactly, the weight is what’s getting me the most. It currently sits around 1000lbs on the third floor of my house

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you worried about your landlord finding out?
Definitely paranoid lol i’d never normally take the sneaky route, but i was told the property manager saw him move it in and said nothing so I thought okay great- unspoken approval… a week later i met the new property manager!!! Grrr lol it’s just a little Biocube 14 - and we’re moving soon- but I’m paranoid every time i call maintenance… i’m super attached and would park the tank with a friend or fast track moving if needed. I can’t imagine getting rid of it.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely paranoid lol i’d never normally take the sneaky route, but i was told the property manager saw him move it in and said nothing so I thought okay great- unspoken approval… a week later i met the new property manager!!! Grrr lol it’s just a little Biocube 14 - and we’re moving soon- but I’m paranoid every time i call maintenance… i’m super attached and would park the tank with a friend or fast track moving if needed. I can’t imagine getting rid of it.
I feel like I will be in the exact boat you are, I’ll just have to throw a blanket overtop when I call maintenance! lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 121 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back