Reef tank lighting

dante2046

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have started reefing since last november, havent do any corals till recently. I came to a LFS and the guy telling me AI prime 16 is bad for reefing, good enough for softies but not good enough for torches and hammers. I have a 15 gallon waterbox peninsula mini. So my question is do I really need to spend 500$ to do torches, i have two hammers, and they are doing quite fine, opening up and stuffs. The way the LFS owner say, the number of beams in AI 16 isnt strong enough to enhancing coloring of the torches.

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but he's wrong. The Prime is more than capable
Especially on a nano. More than enough. You can do literally any coral with that light on a nano of that size. Seems they are out to just make money and not create happy people, who actually enjoy this hobby and not just worry about the cost and stress of it all. I'm sorry they said that to you. Reef2reef is a fantastic place to find great people with the experience to match.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prime is junk. he’s wrong about them not supporting lps corals. but they’re still junk. Check out the Current USA Orbit R24. It is much better than the AI and $239 each with the mounting bracket. If you want to go more budget, the ViparSpectra black box on Amazon is very good and will grow anything.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prime is junk. he’s wrong about them not supporting lps corals. but they’re still junk. Check out the Current USA Orbit R24. It is much better than the AI and $239 each with the mounting bracket. If you want to go more budget, the ViparSpectra black box on Amazon is very good and will grow anything.

ai prime is an excellent light more than capable of growing anything, why do you consider it junk?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... i live in nassau county, what store told you this info, it is incorrect

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ai prime is an excellent light more than capable of growing anything, why do you consider it junk?
A lot of hobbyists don’t know about electronics cooling solutions. It’s not an excellent light. You’re welcome to like it, but it doesn’t change the poor design and construction of it. The design was entirely focused on looks and a compact size.

No thought was given to providing it an adequate and Quiet cooling solution. The heat sink is a joke, the fan is a piece of junk and is too small for the wattage. The result is a light that is too noisy and the fan has to run near 100% constantly which isn’t how it should be.
I’m sure you’re going to say “but mine is quiet!l No, no it’s not. Besides not knowing much about electronics, they also don’t know much about appropriate decibel levels for them either.
Basically, brands like Ecotech and Ai profit off of reef hobbyists ignorance and depend on it to stay in business.

OP
OP
dante2046

dante2046

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way hes saying is AI 16 beams arent good enough for LPS coloring. He means if i want torches and hammers thrive, i need at least AI prime 32 or they wont enhance in color.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only complaint there was noise being a problem, if that isnt a problem with your unit i dont see why the light isnt adequate for the system

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
dante2046

dante2046

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is I havent do too much research when i go into this hobby, got carry away by waterbox aquarium elegant tank design. So just got a whole set of stuffs together from their site, now already establish my nano tank, kinda dont wanna start back on equipment replacement, especially couple hundreds again on lighting. But i really love hammers and torches and really wanna start some torch soon. So not sure if AI 16 really true that cant handle torches or not.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is just 1 tank for evidence that the ai prime works, i do agree about the fan and heatsink design not being great but light output is

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is I havent do too much research when i go into this hobby, got carry away by waterbox aquarium elegant tank design. So just got a whole set of stuffs together from their site, now already establish my nano tank, kinda dont wanna start back on equipment replacement, especially couple hundreds again on lighting. But i really love hammers and torches and really wanna start some torch soon. So not sure if AI 16 really true that cant handle torches or not.
Literally every single person bar one has told you the AI Prime 16 HD will do well to grow LPS. Why still not sure? I mean you are looking for people's experiences as to whether it will allow LPS to thrive right?

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of hobbyists don’t know about electronics cooling solutions. It’s not an excellent light. You’re welcome to like it, but it doesn’t change the poor design and construction of it. The design was entirely focused on looks and a compact size.

No thought was given to providing it an adequate and Quiet cooling solution. The heat sink is a joke, the fan is a piece of junk and is too small for the wattage. The result is a light that is too noisy and the fan has to run near 100% constantly which isn’t how it should be.
I’m sure you’re going to say “but mine is quiet!l No, no it’s not. Besides not knowing much about electronics, they also don’t know much about appropriate decibel levels for them either.
Basically, brands like Ecotech and Ai profit off of reef hobbyists ignorance and depend on it to stay in business.
Any led you run flat out at 100% is going to have a shorter lifespan than one you don’t. I won’t run anything I own at wide open for long periods of time because it will kill them.

my ai prime is around 30-35% max per channel - the cooling fan never even turns on. Ever. So it’s totally silent always. You don’t necessarily need to run these at 100% especially on small tanks like 5-20gal

is it the greatest light? No, but it honestly the most popular light sold at brs for a reason, and it’s far from junk. Made to fit into a price point - absolutely, but not junk.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes azedenkae, it might not be my favorite light but idk why people are trying to just make them buy a new one for literally no reason, that seems wrong to me

OP
OP
dante2046

dante2046

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, thank you guys. Really helpful responses, now im sure i should be able to start torches at some point. Btw any low to medium cost good torches to start as beginner?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, thank you guys. Really helpful responses, now im sure i should be able to start torches at some point. Btw any low to medium cost good torches to start as beginner?
Advanced marine aquatics has some pretty nice ones for cheap as well as aquarium village. I would dip the ones from aquarium village a lot though as i have personally seen them dipping for flatworms in the store

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back