Reef tank problems...start over or leave alone?

Metsf4n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, 4 months ago i started a new reef tank 200 gallons. Took my time creating a nice aquascape, using dry rock, and cycling it for 2+ months before any fish were added. I have a powder blue tang, achilles tang, copperband butterfly fish, a clownfish, a flame hawkfish and 2 chromis. The first problem that came about was an icp test that i sent in tested that I have high levels of various elements such as copper, zinc, chromium, and vanadium. To correct for this i did (6) 25% water changes over 6 weeks, and ran Triton Detox, and I also removed the metal clamps that i had original put on my return pumps in the sump (which was the only metal that i put into the tank.) After this i sent in another icp test and the results were essential the same as the first ones...i put in a few frags just to see how they would do and so far everything looks ok but im not sure how it will do in the long run or if it will even grow....
ok now second issue. I noticed that my two chromis both had small red sores on their sides(unfortunately i could not get any clear pictures)... i looked this up and found someones else's photos and looked the same way my chromis did, and the general consensus was that it was uronema.

My question is, should i throw out the water, rock and substrate and start completely brand new or not? Also, should i put the fish through another quarantine period and if so treat them with copper or some medicine? If there is any possible way that i could save the rock i would prefer this option because i spent quite some time putting everything together and would hate to lose it, however, if deemed completely necessary then i would get rid of it. Please let me know what you guys think i should do. thank you!

OP
OP
M

Metsf4n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2/23 is 1st icp test 4/20 is 2nd

Attachments

• 2:23.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 4:20.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 62

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema is an interesting parasite. It seems to really only be a problem with chromis and sometimes with anthias. Odd huh. But it can infect any fish. But usually just the two mentioned on a regular basis.
I'd pull the chromis and treat them in a QT. But once the red sores show it's usually too late. As the parasites effect the fish both externally and internally. Very difficult to save them. Sorry.
As for the DT, you can't starve out the DT like other parasites. If your other fish aren't being affected, I'd just leave it run as is. And then avoid the species that seem to be affected by uronema.
More info: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/uronema-marinum.247940/

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to start by saying I havent used this method for removing heavy metals from my tank myself, so I dont have first hand experience with it. But I have read that Cuprisorb by Seachem is effective at reducing things like copper from your water. Might be worth looking into if you dont want to start over. Also a Carbon reactor could help clean your water of any metals.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polish_20200506_011127297.jpg

@Big G spot on with the chromis diagnosis.

As for the metal contamination, was the clamps corroded when you removed them?

OP
OP
M

Metsf4n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema is an interesting parasite. It seems to really only be a problem with chromis and sometimes with anthias. Odd huh. But it can infect any fish. But usually just the two mentioned on a regular basis.
I'd pull the chromis and treat them in a QT. But once the red sores show it's usually too late. As the parasites effect the fish both externally and internally. Very difficult to save them. Sorry.
As for the DT, you can't starve out the DT like other parasites. If your other fish aren't being affected, I'd just leave it run as is. And then avoid the species that seem to be affected by uronema.
More info: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/uronema-marinum.247940/
Thank you for reply. Other fish seem fine and as of right now the chromis are still in there. So if I can remove the chromis, should I also remove other fish and treat them with formalin just in case? Or leave the water alone because all the other fish look okay and are not as susceptible to uronema?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect some species of fish have a immunity to it to some degree as they never show symptoms of it, even when exposed to it. Chromis and anthias seem highly prone to it. Kind of like they have a autoimmune system issue with it.

They say that once it's in a system, it never leaves. I wouldn't break the tank down and sterilize it over this. Just not worth it.

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a sand bed? I was reading through a post about someone using sand awhile back, I can’t remember the brand or type, but it was black. They were having issues and after a bunch of trial and error they ran a magnet through their sand and it picked up a ton of metals. If I remember correctly they removed their entire sand bed and replaced it with a different brand. That’s no easy task on a 200 gallon tank.
You’re using RODI right? Have you tested TDS? Was your tank new or did you get it used. If used, what all did you reuse? Sand and rock? Is it possible that the rock you used could be leaching?

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the water issue, here are my thoughts.
First look over the system and try to find anything else that might leak metals.
Then look for absorbers, like Cuprisorb or perhaps try iron based phosphate remover(lowers Aluminium for example). Also try macro algae’s. If they grow(they are also sensitive to metals), they might take up some of the metals you have. And some iodine.

Good luck!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back