Reef tanks & no filtration!

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see anyone who’s running a reef system without a sump and or hob and what their take is on it along with pros and cons ! Thinking on what exactly I want to do when I upgrade tanks. I did have a jbj 45 aio on order but canceled it due to it being on hardcore back order and debating on weather or not to have a tank with a sump or a aio filter system or nothing at all and just do water changes on a rimless tank.

Last edited:

kenbennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rocks and sand of course host bacteria, which provide biological filtration; zero filtration would be just fish? lots of water changes?

or do you mean something else?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see anyone who’s running a filterless reef system and what their take is on it along with pros and cons !
Might need to define what is considered 'filterless'. A lot of us define something like live rock as being part of the filtration system, for example.

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rocks and sand of course host bacteria, which provide biological filtration; zero filtration would be just fish? lots of water changes?

or do you mean something else?
I guess systems not running sumps hobs just glass and water. I mean if your keeping up with water changes things should be pretty smooth not running a sump / hob.

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might need to define what is considered 'filterless'. A lot of us define something like live rock as being part of the filtration system, for example.
Yeah i understand. Guess I wasn’t very specific on my question here lol I want to upgrade in tanks but not sure if I want to do a aio go with a sump or just rely on rock hosting the bacteria and relying on water changes. I’m only wanting to move to a 40-60gal ..

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i understand. Guess I wasn’t very specific on my question here lol I want to upgrade in tanks but not sure if I want to do a aio go with a sump or just rely on rock hosting the bacteria and relying on water changes. I’m only wanting to move to a 40-60gal ..

Ah gotcha, yeah you don't need any complicated setup in that case. I for example run an AIO but it is really no different than just a powerhead in a tank. I don't have any chemical filtration, and sometimes have mechanical filtration. But I would always wrap powerheads with filter wool or similar as well, so yeah conceptually not any different. XD

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah gotcha, yeah you don't need any complicated setup in that case. I for example run an AIO but it is really no different than just a powerhead in a tank. I don't have any chemical filtration, and sometimes have mechanical filtration. But I would always wrap powerheads with filter wool or similar as well, so yeah conceptually not any different. XD
Yeah I run a fluval evo 13.5 and had a jbj 45 on order but decided to cancel that cause it being on back order. And was just thinking maybe going with a 40gal breeder and having no mechanical filtration and just running power heads etc.. do I spend maybe 500$ or do I spend over 1k lol

Daftendire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20210510_154810754.jpg
This 30g system has a sump but there is zero mechanical filtration. No skimmer or fuge. Only a bag of carbon in the baffles. The sump is just adding water volume and housing live rock. My plan was to add filtration as it was needed, but the system is 5 months old and consumes nitrates like crazy with a low phosphate as well. it's basically an expensive AIO at this point.

Currently home to 2 clowns, a possum wrasse and CUC.

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AIO is the way to go if you’re going tank only and no remote, external sump. The AIO chamber is an internal sump. The main benefits of the AIO are, being able to hide equipment and media such as heaters and carbon, removing surface scum and providing filtration, and adding water movement via the return pump. The AIO area also lets you use an ATO if you choose to.

A 40 breeder setup is inexpensive. About $50 during the $1 gal sale at petco + a hang on filter. I’ve had issues with surface scum with this setup, but I’ve never tried the Tidal hang on filter. I ran this setup super inexpensive with barely any $ into it other than lights.

My favorite AIO to date is the IM Nuvo 30. It’s an odd dimension tank, but it works for me. Have you looked at the IM Nuvo line? These have low iron glass which is nice to have.

My Nuvo 30 has a 2 bulb T5 retro that I picked up for $50, one Nero 5 powerhead, and no skimmer. AIO chamber has filter floss, heaters, marine pure balls, and calcium reactor media (dead corals).

Last edited:
OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20210510_154810754.jpg
This 30g system has a sump but there is zero mechanical filtration. No skimmer or fuge. Only a bag of carbon in the baffles. The sump is just adding water volume and housing live rock. My plan was to add filtration as it was needed, but the system is 5 months old and consumes nitrates like crazy with a low phosphate as well. it's basically an expensive AIO at this point.

Currently home to 2 clowns, a possum wrasse and CUC.
Nice ! I have quiet a bit of coral so highter nitrates isn’t a concern I suppose as long as coral are sucking it up lol I’ve seen a couple of people run zero mechanical filtration and their tanks and corals looks beautiful

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AIO is the way to go if you’re going tank only and no remote, external sump. The AIO chamber is an internal sump. The main benefits of the AIO are, being able to hide equipment and media such as heaters and carbon, removing surface scum and providing filtration, and adding water movement via the return pump. The AIO area also lets you use an ATO if you choose to.

A 40 breeder setup is inexpensive. About $50 during the $1 gal sale at petco + a hang on filter. I’ve also had issues with surface scum with this setup, but I’ve never tried the Tidal hang on filter.

My favorite AIO to date is the IM Nuvo 30. It’s an odd dimension tank, but it works for me. Have you looked at the IM Nuvo line?
Definitely have looked into the innovative marine tanks And they are definitely nice. I guess it’s just a tougher decision for me to make because 40g breeder is 40g and the 30 nuvo IM would technically be a 25g or so (I’m guessing) because of the AIO filter section. I want more water Column

Lak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running a 90 gallon tank with 90 lbs. of live rock, 90 lbs of sand and only blowers to circulate for 5 yrs with 10 to 15 gallon water changes,. Recently had a big cyano out break due to slacking on water changes, so I bought a octopus 2000 Hob to put on it. It's vary possible. Was told at the LFS not to try it bigger than a 90 gallon though.

Attachments

• 20210622_172915.jpg
    20210622_172915.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running a 90 gallon tank with 90 lbs. of live rock, 90 lbs of sand and only blowers to circulate for 5 yrs with 10 to 15 gallon water changes,. Recently had a big cyano out break due to slacking on water changes, so I bought a octopus 2000 Hob to put on it. It's vary possible. Was told at the LFS not to try it bigger than a 90 gallon though.
Very nice ! Yeah I’d only be moving to a 40 gallon and if worse came to worse I’d throw a seachem tidal HOB on it. Awesome tank

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM30 does have a small display area. The display area is 10” deep, 13” tall, and 35.5” wide, but the water only goes up to 11 1/4” tall.

Volume calculator shows the display area as 20 gal with filled volume of 17.29 gal.

40 breeder would be about double the volume for the display.

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM30 does have a small display area. The display area is 10” deep, 13” tall, and 35.5” wide, but the water only goes up to 11 1/4” tall.

Volume calculator shows the display area as 20 gal with filled volume of 17.29 gal.

40 breeder would be about double the volume for the display.
Right. That’s my want right there more water volume lol very nice tanks though

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see anyone who’s running a reef system without a sump and or hob and what their take is on it along with pros and cons ! Thinking on what exactly I want to do when I upgrade tanks. I did have a jbj 45 aio on order but canceled it due to it being on hardcore back order and debating on weather or not to have a tank with a sump or a aio filter system or nothing at all and just do water changes on a rimless tank.
Live rock, filter pad powerhead, a few wavemakers, UV sterilizer, and a HOB Aquaclear 50 on back just to aerate, maybe if I ever need to throw some activated carbon in a pinch, although I haven't for many years. No sump, skimmer or fuge 90 gallon. Tank has been in various configurations about 25 years. Skimmer was the most recent equipment I dumped about 3 months ago? It wasn't pulling much of anything anyway running a few hours a day, and nitrates were constantly zeroing

Stock
Yellow Tang, Striped Damsel, Ocellaris all 18 years, Coral Beauty 5 years , Eibli Angel about 6 months.
Lots of inverts and CUC I do find important. Several urchins, shrimp, strawberry Conch, tiger sea cucumber, trochus and astrea snails, blue and red leg hermits, brittle star, and sand sifting star, Long Tent Nem, Most of them many years in system.
Its mostly softies , which help eat up nitrates ( typical around 5ppm since skimmer gone ), a few LPS, and trying out some small SPS lately which I notice are growing better last few months albeit slowly.
2-2.5% water changes every 3 days, no dosing, and feed my own frozen mix along with nori and dulse. Also feed live phyto every few days.

It won't win any awards for looks lol,but it is highly functional, and minimal work for my purposes.
20210625_151320.jpg
20210625_151149.jpg
20210625_151018.jpg
20210625_151031.jpg
20210625_150837.jpg

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! I've got about 70 lbs rock in my 90 and thinking on bumping it up by 10-20 pounds , for both a better scape and more biological filtration.

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock, filter pad powerhead, a few wavemakers, UV sterilizer, and a HOB Aquaclear 50 on back just to aerate, maybe if I ever need to throw some activated carbon in a pinch, although I haven't for many years. No sump, skimmer or fuge 90 gallon. Tank has been in various configurations about 25 years. Skimmer was the most recent equipment I dumped about 3 months ago? It wasn't pulling much of anything anyway running a few hours a day, and nitrates were constantly zeroing

Stock
Yellow Tang, Striped Damsel, Ocellaris all 18 years, Coral Beauty 5 years , Eibli Angel about 6 months.
Lots of inverts and CUC I do find important. Several urchins, shrimp, strawberry Conch, tiger sea cucumber, trochus and astrea snails, blue and red leg hermits, brittle star, and sand sifting star, Long Tent Nem, Most of them many years in system.
Its mostly softies , which help eat up nitrates ( typical around 5ppm since skimmer gone ), a few LPS, and trying out some small SPS lately which I notice are growing better last few months albeit slowly.
2-2.5% water changes every 3 days, no dosing, and feed my own frozen mix along with nori and dulse. Also feed live phyto every few days.

It won't win any awards for looks lol,but it is highly functional, and minimal work for my purposes.
20210625_151320.jpg
20210625_151149.jpg
20210625_151018.jpg
20210625_151031.jpg
20210625_150837.jpg
Sweeeet! Yeah like I was saying in above comments if stuff got to out of control I can throw a hob filter on to help keep things under control. Love the tank Everything looks happy in it

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back