Reefbreeder/Kessil/AI for 60gal cube

fightingfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, all!

After nearly 2 years of research, I’m almost ready to take the plunge on reefing! I’m just about sold on a 60gal cube (24” all around). The tank will have mostly LPS/Zoa/softies...MAYBE an SPS or two higher up, sometime down the road.

Lighting-wise, I’ve narrowed my search down to three models:
Kessil A360we
AI Hydra 26
Reefbreeders Photon 16V2

What are your thoughts? It will be in a room used for entertaining, so light spill, while not the biggest deal, is a consideration. Any other options or choices would be great, but my criteria are as follows:

LED
Tank-mountable (not hanging)
In the 200-400 range, with very minimal wiggle room.

Thanks!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you be using an apex or Reef keeper controller at all?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no plans to use an external controller, at least for the time being. Ideally, it’d be (relatively) plug and play.
My choice would then be the Hydra 26. And the only reason I choose that over the kessil is that the kessil has to be controlled externally whether it be through the Apex Reef keeper or the kessil spectral controller. The Hydra 26 is Wi-Fi controllable right out of the box no external controller is needed.

OP
OP
F

fightingfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My choice would then be the Hydra 26. And the only reason I choose that over the kessil is that the kessil has to be controlled externally whether it be through the Apex Reef keeper or the kessil spectral controller. The Hydra 26 is Wi-Fi controllable right out of the box no external controller is needed.

I’m a little embarrassed tha this somehow escaped me...that’s a game changer, for sure! Thanks for the heads up!

OP
OP
F

fightingfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok, so I checked out the controller...100 bucks for a remote...not a deal breaker! Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of those are going to spill some light. You can build a cheap cover/shade that you can put around the tank if it bothers you. I have gotten some scrap metal, bent it with two 90s and painted it matte black - I put it on the front rim when we want to watch a show, or something.

For me, I would focus on spread vs. the point source. Shadowing of colonies is real and really is a downer for some folks as their stuff grows since they don't see it with frags. Some people do not care at all.

OP
OP
F

fightingfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of those are going to spill some light. You can build a cheap cover/shade that you can put around the tank if it bothers you. I have gotten some scrap metal, bent it with two 90s and painted it matte black - I put it on the front rim when we want to watch a show, or something.

For me, I would focus on spread vs. the point source. Shadowing of colonies is real and really is a downer for some folks as their stuff grows since they don't see it with frags. Some people do not care at all.

I’m not super concerned with the light spillage, especially when considering the fact that the actual photoperiod is only a 12hr cycle. That said, I may have to hit you up for a blueprint of that scrap metal retrofit!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I checked out the controller...100 bucks for a remote...not a deal breaker! Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
If that's the case then definitely go kessil. They are my hands down all time favorite. The shimmer, color blending, and ease of use are arguably the best

[Cameron]

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another downside of the Kessil is that they have no inherent moonlight capability if that is something you would want it will be an add on and potentially another controller.

Poseidon84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you looked at the aquahelios from reefbreeders? its also wifi controlled from your phone changeable led, and all the bells and whistles of the hydras

OP
OP
F

fightingfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another downside of the Kessil is that they have no inherent moonlight capability if that is something you would want it will be an add on and potentially another controller.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention...I sort of assumed, wrongly, that the moonlight thing was a standard feature. Not a deal breaker, but good to know, nonetheless.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the Kessils. And if you decide to get a controller later like an apex it will control the lights for you. I've had good success with them and previously with ReefBreeders too, but the reefbreeders burned out some LEDs after about two years.

Best of luck with your new tank!

OP
OP
F

fightingfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now, to throw another wrench in the works...what do you all have to say about the Maxspect Ethereal LED Lighting System with ICV6 Integrated Controller?
It seemed like it was a little out of budget for me, but, considering it has an integrated controller, and comes with the mounting arm, it’s actually right in line with what I’d be spending otherwise.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1745.JPG
IMG_1746.JPG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back