Reefbrite left side stopped working

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my luck when my acros are thriving my halide stops working. I think it’s the ballast but I’m not sure.

I have the 36” reefbrite with 400w ballasts/bulbs.
I only THINK it’s the ballast… I don’t know how to test it.

first I tested the bulb, added a new bulb and nothing. The right bulb works fine it’s the left one that doesn’t turn on so half of my tank is lit.

I ordered a new ballast online with overnight shipping of course I’m going to be out of town in two days.

it’ll get here Thursday and I leave Thursday :p so hoping it gets here.
How do I know it’s truly the ballast that’s my issue v

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just my luck when my acros are thriving my halide stops working. I think it’s the ballast but I’m not sure.

I have the 36” reefbrite with 400w ballasts/bulbs.
I only THINK it’s the ballast… I don’t know how to test it.

first I tested the bulb, added a new bulb and nothing. The right bulb works fine it’s the left one that doesn’t turn on so half of my tank is lit.

I ordered a new ballast online with overnight shipping of course I’m going to be out of town in two days.

it’ll get here Thursday and I leave Thursday :p so hoping it gets here.
How do I know it’s truly the ballast that’s my issue v
Yeah, usually ballast. If not- diodes.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just confirmed I switched the cords around and the left turns on. Definitely the ballast. How in the world did this thing die out after only 8 months…. I emailed reefbrite and ordered a new ballast in the meantime. Guess I gotta have backup ballasts too

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just confirmed I switched the cords around and the left turns on. Definitely the ballast. How in the world did this thing die out after only 8 months…. I emailed reefbrite and ordered a new ballast in the meantime. Guess I gotta have backup ballasts too

If you bought it new, I'm sure they'll replace it for you. Things happen to electronics. I have 2 250w ReefBrite ballasts and a 36 inch Reef Brite fixture as well. I'm sure you know that the fixture will utilize 250w and 400w bulbs. Of course that would need different ballasts.

From what I've heard, Reef Brite has good customer service. If you're going to be away, how about moving the one side to cover all of the tank until you get back? Not a great situation, but will supply them with lighting until you return. I'm sure they'll be fine.

To add, we had an 8 hour power outage April 1st and I kept a powerhead running, but the temp dropped about 5 or 6 degrees in the tank. I noticed no ill effects until a few days ago. My prized ORA Voodoo Acro started RTNing...... I had to frag it. Thankfully, no colonies were affected.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you bought it new, I'm sure they'll replace it for you. Things happen to electronics. I have 2 250w ReefBrite ballasts and a 36 inch Reef Brite fixture as well. I'm sure you know that the fixture will utilize 250w and 400w bulbs. Of course that would need different ballasts.

From what I've heard, Reef Brite has good customer service. If you're going to be away, how about moving the one side to cover all of the tank until you get back? Not a great situation, but will supply them with lighting until you return. I'm sure they'll be fine.

To add, we had an 8 hour power outage April 1st and I kept a powerhead running, but the temp dropped about 5 or 6 degrees in the tank. I noticed no ill effects until a few days ago. My prized ORA Voodoo Acro started RTNing...... I had to frag it. Thankfully, no colonies were affected.
You’re right that things do happen to electronics. I contacted reefbrite and they want me to go ahead and mail them the damaged ballast :)

hopefully the one I ordered gets here early tomorrow so I can get it going before I leave.
Great idea on the moving of the fixture, today I switched the ballast about halfway through.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back