Machpoint89

Machpoint89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PROJECT RO/DI

So I had some issues with my RO/DI after moving to the new apartment, but turns out after doing some math I didn’t really “need” the upgrade, but it sure is nice to have. (CLICK HERE if you’d like to read about - what I thought was - my Reverse osmosis pressure problem)

I added a booster pump to my 3-stage RO/DI system wanting around 70~80psi range after doing some research

Check out this video :

If you’d like to review how YOU can improve your RO/DI system : BRSTV - RODI Upgrades

TDS from the tap = 99~114

TDS before Di cartridge = 3 (this means the sediment filter and carbon filter do a great job and this is a good base line for me to double check WHEN they would need to be replaced)

TDS after Di cartridge = 0

THE MATH

BEFORE booster pump installation: 40PSI

• 10.67ltr/hr or 2.82usg/hr = 67.68 GPD with a ratio of 1:2.25 (for every 1 gallon of clean water I would get 2.25 gallons of waste water)
AFTER booster pump installation 80〜82psi

• 24.79ltr/hr or 6.55usg/hr = 157.2 GPD with a ratio of 1.51(for every 1 gallon of clean water I would get 1.51 gallons of waste water)
This is an increase in OUTPUT of 67% which I think is worth it*
(*this might affect the filters and membrane lifespan, but given that I don’t constantly make water I’m fine with that risk)

Before attaching the booster pump via the included bracket I used a rubber strip I had laying around (see upper left photo) this reduced pump noise from vibration to zero.
D4011007-A7CC-42F5-A916-EA0965F0D932.jpeg

Another way of reducing your waste water is by adding a second membrane:

FBF90213-D1E6-4015-BA6E-D7C2D6D604F8.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Machpoint89

Machpoint89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PROJECT GATE VALVE

So today I painted the gate valves orange with spray paint that’s meant for plastic.
Washed them and dried them before applying roughly 4 coats of spray paint.

I let them dry and rinsed them off after painting was completed... Is it necessary to paint them.... absolutely not, but I thought why not. Would be kind of cool to match the PVC piping

A77C987E-682B-42B4-A764-4113D89C2A63.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Machpoint89

Machpoint89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PROJECT SUMP MOD

So today I customised the RSR250 V1 sump by removing the stock filter holders and some of the glass panels....

Why?.... to make room for the Clarisea filter roller. Given that I could be gone for a week or sometimes longer I don't want to have to rely on filter socks and it seems this was a great solution.

REMOVING THE FILTER SOCKS:
  • Wear safety goggles / glasses (don't risk and glass splinters flying into your eyes!)
  • Use a flexible box cutter and pry in between the glass and silicone (I have tried dental floss and straight razors, but they're too rigid)
  • Keep scoring and "pushing" the blade through the silicone parts (take your time as not to break any panels)
  • at the end use the straight razor blade at a 45 degree angle to "scrape" away the old silicone
  • wipe away and dirt / leftover silicone pieces with a wet cloth
  • shine a light at an angle to inspect no accidental small glass shards remain (I had a few small chips that splintered off so be careful)

093DF490-CFB5-4C2C-A7E8-8E7C66053454.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Machpoint89

Machpoint89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PROJECT PLUMBING > MAIN DRAIN

Today I finished plumbing the main drain. It was a bit of a challenge getting the angles correct. I used all new O-rings (coated with vaseline) on union parts.

Also used an O-ring on the 3/4” x 1” male adapter that screws into the RedSea #42221 adapters. (Click on the names for a link... see picture below for details)

I used a 1” UNION so I could easily service the ClariSea filter roller and change the layout in the future if needed.

(Make sure to always have the nut on a union positioned in a way so it doesn’t fall off when unscrewing it... also when installing UNIONS check if the O-ring is there and lube it up.... sometimes they’re missing from transport)

AAEAFE5A-3C4B-4B71-A708-1AAFE8D3C4AD.jpeg

E57BB7C2-1A4C-49BF-A3CD-E912972937E1.jpeg

Last edited:

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see a RSR 250 in Japan! My question is, since you are closer to the tropical Pacific, would you find better livestock/corals in there? Also I can't imagine how expensive could be reefing in Japan :eek:

OP
OP
Machpoint89

Machpoint89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see a RSR 250 in Japan! My question is, since you are closer to the tropical Pacific, would you find better livestock/corals in there? Also I can't imagine how expensive could be reefing in Japan :eek:

You can get some beautiful Aussie stuff here, but yes everything is marked up REALLY high.... I don’t mind paying a bit more for quality its just a bit tough on the wallet.

Import costs here run high also as they tightly control what comes into the country.

Most of the hardware I get from the US bit by bit as I simply cannot find it here. I try to support the LFS as best I can though. For instance my RO/DI unit cost me about $600

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Machpoint89 I know Okinawa is a bit south of the main island and getting close to the tropics. I heard there are some reefs and reef fishes/animals there. I have a friend that spent some time in Okinawa.

OP
OP
Machpoint89

Machpoint89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Machpoint89 I know Okinawa is a bit south of the main island and getting close to the tropics. I heard there are some reefs and reef fishes/animals there. I have a friend that spent some time in Okinawa.

Ah cool! Yeah it’s a nice place. I used to go there almost every month with a previous job. Did some scuba diving there. It was fun, but I expected more...

OP
OP
Machpoint89

Machpoint89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking great! I like the the orange paint on the valve handles! I just took delivery of my reefer 250 tank/stand today!

Thanks Brent.... I stole the idea from some of the OCD reefers out here, but liked the clean look. Awesome congrats on the RSR250... I think they're great tanks. You gonna do a build thread? Always fun to follow along someone's progress

EDIT: Just saw your "build thread contributor" badge.... sorry... It's still morning here

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good man keep it up. I love my reefer 250 I have had it for about a year after upgrading from a 170 and it’s too full already. Super jealous of the filter roller I have the v2 sump but only saw the upgrade from another reefer to make it fit after it was running for a few months. Oh well

Brent Behringer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I have one going! Just ordered a custom synergy cl-34 sump in gray/red. I'll be plumbing in all red pvc pipe/fitting and painting my aquamaxx reactor top/bottom plastics gray and the thumb screws red to match. My sump is still about 6 weeks out. I plan to get the stand/tank set up, then do some work on my ATO and Control cabinet and build my out door RODI station. Should keep me busy with the limited time I will have.

Here's my build thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brentbs-red-sea-reefer-250-build.726445/

OP
OP
Machpoint89

Machpoint89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good man keep it up. I love my reefer 250 I have had it for about a year after upgrading from a 170 and it’s too full already. Super jealous of the filter roller I have the v2 sump but only saw the upgrade from another reefer to make it fit after it was running for a few months. Oh well

You still planning on adding a filter roller? I wanted the option since I could be gone a month at a time at worst. This will reduce maintenance efforts required.

Yep, I have one going! Just ordered a custom synergy cl-34 sump in gray/red. I'll be plumbing in all red pvc pipe/fitting and painting my aquamaxx reactor top/bottom plastics gray and the thumb screws red to match. My sump is still about 6 weeks out. I plan to get the stand/tank set up, then do some work on my ATO and Control cabinet and build my out door RODI station. Should keep me busy with the limited time I will have.

Here's my build thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brentbs-red-sea-reefer-250-build.726445/

Following your build thread. Looking forward to it. i thought of the same thing, but the triton sump. However getting it to Japan is a real problem. Maybe in the future. I'll let this run first.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and mine has been running for less than 2 months. I like the idea of painting the sump. I had this idea after I got it all set up and running so too late for me. I am also using orange PVC to make it Neptune theme. It looks like you have the V2 sump. Mine is V3 so I had to run the piping differently. I am also using Clarisea filter as well.

mrrtheory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lets call this: attempt #2

long story short our second child was born and family / job things got in the way. We moved closer to the city, but slowly and surely I have been planning for the assembly. This tank hasn’t seen water in 2 years probably.

A BIG shout out to Jason @Eight for the inspiration. His extremely picture heavy thread was my main inspiration Including the legendary @Broadfield :

For Jason's RSR250 build thread: RedSea Reefer Build by Jason

For Jason's RSR250 plumbing: Jason’s RSR250 sump plumbing

For Toby’s RSR450 OCD build thread: RedSea Reefer 450 Build by Toby

I had to alter some of the plans since I have the V1 sump vs his V3 for this Reefer 250

7396CF2E-425A-4022-BC1E-FFF154F7C1CA.jpeg

Today my order came in from the US. I mainly ordered my fittings from PVC Fittings Online and they deliver worldwide. After a few ordering issues on the website their excellent customer service helped me get the correct items all the way to Tokyo.

So what did I order? (please click on each description for the link)

The return will be fitted with a GATE valve and plumbed directly into a Clarisea SK-3000 Automatic Filter Roller

2AF1D9A2-9B36-4B3E-A2B9-94CE70052496.jpeg

8D063CE0-1877-4DA8-A2AC-62691A1858FC.jpeg

I will try make a similar - albeit not as detailed - write up as some of the others that have inspired me for this project.

This has been a true waiting game!

That little cartoon plumbing sketch is golden.

OP
OP
Machpoint89

Machpoint89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and mine has been running for less than 2 months. I like the idea of painting the sump. I had this idea after I got it all set up and running so too late for me. I am also using orange PVC to make it Neptune theme. It looks like you have the V2 sump. Mine is V3 so I had to run the piping differently. I am also using Clarisea filter as well.

Thanks yeah I think it will look very clean. Just enough room behind to run some wiring. Oh I thought I had the old V1 sump. Out of curiosity do you know the difference between V1 & V2? I know what V3 looks like

That little cartoon plumbing sketch is golden.

Thanks. I always think making plans and drawing them out is the best way to visualize things and easy to see potential problems. Plus a good way for others to see what I'm thinking and get some valuable feedback (positive or negative)

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still planning on adding a filter roller? I wanted the option since I could be gone a month at a time at worst. This will reduce maintenance efforts required.

Following your build thread. Looking forward to it. i thought of the same thing, but the triton sump. However getting it to Japan is a real problem. Maybe in the future. I'll let this run first.
I wish but I don’t want to risk damaging the sump now that everything is settled and it’s kinda DIY to remove everything to accommodate the roller and I suck at DIY. This thing is on auto pilot right now so I fear changing anything and the 250 micron socks aren’t too bad

OP
OP
Machpoint89

Machpoint89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish but I don’t want to risk damaging the sump now that everything is settled and it’s kinda DIY to remove everything to accommodate the roller and I suck at DIY. This thing is on auto pilot right now so I fear changing anything and the 250 micron socks aren’t too bad

I'm very fond of the "if it ain't broke - don't fix it" mentality ....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 33 55.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.3%
Back