Reefer 350 build from a beginner

peterire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

So my Red Sea Reefer 350 Deluxe arrived two weeks ago and I've been fairly busy since then getting it set up and ready for its first livestock.

Thought I'd start a build thread, share some pics and get some advice along the way because I'm sure I'm going to need it!

Equipment wise I went with 350 Deluxe which comes with the RS 90 LEDS. The other main items below
  • Ecotech S2 pump
  • 2 x Red Sea 45 wave makers
  • Deltec 600xi Skimmer
  • 2 x 200w heaters
  • Ink Bird Controller with Wi-Fi
  • DD 100G Day RO system
Right now I've got the live rock in with sand and saltwater. I made my own saltwater (took me all weekend), but happy enough with the result of 1.025 salinity. Have the temp set to 25.5 (around 78 F).

Most things have gone smoothly enough, so far anyway. Although the sand is getting blown around a lot, some glass spots showing in the centre of the tank but I assume that will settle down. Only 1cm or so of live sand used, I think thats ok, hopefully doesnt restrict me on some of the sand based livestock later. But I can always add more.

I have noticed there is some white/grey fuzzy stuff growing on some parts of the rock. Not sure what it is, I'll ask my LFS later.

Plan is to get the cleanup crew this evening, assuming my water is ok. I'll post some pics of them, will be nice to have something alive in there rather than some pet rocks!

Any advice/tips appreciated. All going well I'll get two clown fish in there next week.

rock.jpg sump.jpg tank.jpg

OP
OP
P

peterire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, my LFS recommended it over the Red Sea skimmer. Its noisy enough at the moment, but I'm assuming thats because its running with just saltwater in there..

OP
OP
P

peterire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit worried about this Tuxedo Urchin. I'm not sure what this white stuff is, whether its coming from it or got it attached to itself from under the rock..

Its been in there for about 5 days, on the rocks first, then went missing and now showed up on the wavemaker..

Is it stressed?

Early part of cycle at the moment, live rock and a few other CUC (snails, hermit crabs). Maybe it went in too early?

OP
OP
P

peterire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, havent updated this thread in a good while, so here goes.

Thank is up and running around 6 weeks now, going pretty well really.

CUC wise, I have the 1 tuxedo urchin, 1 fighting conch, 3 nassarius snails, 5 blue leg hermit crabs, 10 turbo snails and just recently a cleaner shrimp. The shrimp stays behind the rocks, I think comes out more so at night. He can eat his fair share though, especially the flakes!

I've yet to add an emerald crab, a peppermint shrimp, another conch and 2 sand sifting starfish (I bought a pack).

Fish wise I have 2 clowns, 3 green chromis and just in a Midas Blenny. The blenny is pretty shy, but is coming around. I'm glad I made up the net cover before the blenny went in, he attempted a jump on the first night..!:D

The other fish really came out of their shell when the blenny went in. Up until then they didnt leave one corner of the tank!

On my list next

1 royal gramma
2 banggai cardinals
1 longnose hawkfish
1 Kole Tang

Thats probably all the fish I can put in, especially since most will have some growing to do too.

Coral wise, I have just 3 for now. A finger coral, mushroom and a Zoa. They seem to be doing good.

I'm a bit unhappy with my lack of sand and the fact there is bare spots because of the wave makers. So I've ordered some carib sea special grade. Supposidly thats a larger grain so shouldnt get blown around as much. I'll just have to add it slowly when it arrives!

Thats all I can think of for now. I'll post again when I have a few more fish in.

Snip20200915_4.png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back