Reefer 625xxl build

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought the tank slightly used. For the most part it seems in good shape.

This is a 59 inch long, 26 wide, 23 high, 3/4 inch all glass aquarium. Currently in a low natural light, cool temp basement set up. The tank on stand, without water is for the most part level with a slight deviation front to back. I did not use the adjustable legs that came with the set up and instead have the bottom of the stand covered in felt pads sitting on top of a industrial looking garage plastic matt for floor protection. The matt is a high strength, durable material that is meant for cars to drive on it so it should help protect laminate flooring from indentations and salt water spills.

Lighting:
The set up came with the 48 inch hybrid aquatic life t5/ led fixture. 3 Xr30 blue G5 Radions LEDs sit in the middle surrounded by 4 t5 ho 54 watt bulbs. The fixture will be suspended about about 8.5 inches above water with the fixture slightly centered towards back of tank as the front of the tank will be more an open space.

Schedule: following a typical ab spectrum template from ecotech with ramp up and down periods. I'll probably have the t5s turn on first to warm up the tank or have them come on during more mud day for max spectrum photosynthesis.

Flow:
I will use one reef wave 45 gyre along with 2 opposing Mp 40s along with a S2 ecotech vectra return pump to start. I want to create a variable, intermittent flow system that has wave action and opposing variable strong flow on the top of the reef and slower flow near the bottom. I'm not sure if I need to add any more pumps. Maybe down the road

Reef Rock design:
I'm going for a negative space island look where there will be multiple islands separated to give depth and an open feel to the aquarium.

Sump/Filtration/Dosing:
I am using the red sea plumbing system except I have upgraded the main drain down pipe from the bulk head to us spec 1 inch pipe with a ball valve and upgraded spears gate valve as the stock red sea valve I have heard sucks. So far the rest of plumbing is stock and maybe further down the road I will add a manifold.
I will be utilizing filter socks, purigen and filter pads to collect large waste and be the initial filter. (Thought about getting a filter roller but I've heard they are hard to dial in and I didn't feel like cutting out the red sea sumps sections to fit it in.)
That will then go over to some biological ceramic filter blocks/media, then to a refugium with cheato lit by kessil H380, then to a skimmer section with a rsk 300 and bubble magus curve 5 skimmer and finnally a return section where dosing and apex probes will be. I'm thinking of also adding a brs carbon reactor to polish water and having it in the skimmer section.

I will be using the new red sea auto top off to replenish fresh homemade rodi water. For water change I will have daily small auto water changes via apex dos set up for the first couple years to add a majority of elements from premixed saltwater stored in a brute trashcan. Along with this I will be dosing kalk via a kalk stirrer and dosing all for reef too from a doser. If alk becomes a problem I have dosers to add in sodium bicarbonate and maybe later down the road add a calcium reactor to maintain demand.

I believe kalk us great for getting pH up, but the addition of other media dosing is important to maintain alk, cal, mag etc...

Brains:
I will using the newer apex system to monitor pH, salinity, temp. This will also control my heaters and dosers for auto water change and other elements that need to be added such kalk or sodium bicarbonate. I am using it to also control two brs titanium heaters.

I'm am planning on using Mobius for my lights and return pump. T5s can be on simple timers.

Red sea controller for reef wave and ato.

I have just started to get what I need and the set up. This project is still in progress and I am planning on it taking another month or two before water is added. I'm planning on making this a mixed reef tank with a healthy population of diverse fish. Let's see how it turns out!

IMG_20230709_124253.jpg IMG_20230709_124233.jpg IMG_20230709_124230.jpg IMG_20230709_123259.jpg IMG_20230708_204859.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you still can, I would try and ensure it's completely level. One plus is it looks like you have the upgraded cabinet (as it features the aluminum strut/brace).

OP
OP
alindell

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah I added the strut brace. I used a bubble leveler. The bubble is still between the black lines, but slightly off center. I not really sure how else I would level it with a 400 lb tank on the stand. The thing is a beast to move

OP
OP
alindell

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can go on to red sea spare parts and get it. You just have to order it through a dealer. The guy I bought it from had it already installed.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah I added the strut brace. I used a bubble leveler. The bubble is still between the black lines, but slightly off center. I not really sure how else I would level it with a 400 lb tank on the stand. The thing is a beast to move
Level it dead nuts flat sorr with either the independent levelers or shims now and after it has 6-10" of water in it. You won't be able to later and it does matter.

After spending a few days around that exact tank, I'm definitely a fan of the dimensions.

OP
OP
alindell

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
This project is taking some time, but I'm slowly getting there.

So now I have some things set up and done hurdles. Tank is level now. I shimmed it pretty good. Bubble is basically in exact middle. Added water, heaters and salt

Rodi set up and running good. 0 tds. I decided to go with the to saver and do the 150 gpd add on. Make sure psi is at least 65. Seems to make more good water. Worth it.

Installed reef wave 45 and red sea ato. Reef wave is quiet and seems to push a good amount of water. App was easy to use and is easily controlled

Red sea ato. Same with reef wave. Easy to set up and use. First hurdle though... I did not Install the siphon breaker cause I thought I didn't need it, but I'm stupid and read the Instructions wrong. Water from my reservoir siphoned out into sump while I was sleeping and thank God I had water alarms set up. They woke me up and I ran to the tank to fix the problem. Saltwater got under tank and flooded the pad, but did not get on my floor. I stopped it before it got too far. Water alarms saved my butt.

Second hurdle. The dreaded Neptune eb832s. So I thought these were like the super duper superior models to the old eb8s. Nope. I bought them used from people who stated they were working fine and no problems. Literally the moment I set them up they don't work. Solid orange light showing they are connected to apex brain and outlet indicator lights showing they are good, but no power. These older style 832s suffer from a cheap internal 12v power source. I sent one off to be replaced and the other to be upgraded the meanwell PSU.

3 rd hurdle

The ecotech mp40 pumps. I have two used models. These are the Mobius ready qd models. So one pumps works fine, but does not connect to Mobius app. I cracked open the driver and I clearly see the rf black chip to connect to app. I took it out and reconnected. Nothing... I power cycled the pump... Nothing. The w symbol on the driver shows whitish green and does not connect to the Mobius :(. Oh well I'm going to try and contact ecotech about the problem. Reverse issue on the other pump.
Other pump connects great to Mobius, but dry side is loud. Not so loud to be unbearable, but loud enough to be annoying. I believe it is a bearing issue. From what understand this issue can not be fixed diy. I'm going to try and find a new dry side. dang new technology never cease to work right.

I have also added Bacteria to brightwell brick and to bio spheres/media. Going to add them to tank tonight. Supposedly this brick is super airy and has the most surface area of any bio media. You only need like one brick for 1000 gallons!

next step is to start cycling tank, get back my 832s and get all the settings set up to monitor tank. I will add rockscape here soon and wait to have tank cycle. After bacterial get a foot hold I'm going to install the uv sterilizer to combat new tank algea growth ugly phase. Then later add a skimmer and later start adding cheato after I introduce first fish.

Attachments

• IMG_20230828_195628.jpg
    IMG_20230828_195628.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20230828_195422.jpg
    IMG_20230828_195422.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20230828_195325.jpg
    IMG_20230828_195325.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20230828_195255.jpg
    IMG_20230828_195255.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20230828_195221.jpg
    IMG_20230828_195221.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20230828_195219.jpg
    IMG_20230828_195219.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20230826_101300.jpg
    IMG_20230826_101300.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20230828_195230.jpg
    IMG_20230828_195230.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 20

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back