ReeferFoxx's JBJ 30

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scope it ! It’ll keep you out of the other tank anyway. ;Doctor

Nah, a curious question about environmental issues that may be the prob in the first tank.
A comparative test.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all have our own mad scientist methods, what works for me others would probably find archaic. My hands are in my 20 gallon every 3 days, doing a water change, scrubbing the back wall clean, using a tooth brush to clean corners, scrub rocks off and a turkey baster to blast the detritus from the rocks. I am obsessive I will admit but for me the results are worth it. This is the reason why I like nanos, maintenance is so much easier at a much lower cost. No skimmer, minimal charcoal use, water changes, water changes, water changes...Never test for N/P, all that ever did was make me a nervous wreak.

It's the kiss method and I strayed from it the last two years, the results were disappointing. The nano below had no skimmer, no GFO, just water changes. Point is I feel almost any problem with a nano can be improved with routine water changes, ya just do not need all the bells and whistles.
Now you have a noticeable trait of attention to detail (which is excellent) and probably enjoy the engineering.

The only times my tanks have gotten dino was from dosing amino acids, never failed.

I am willing to bet if you put a T5 fixture on that tank you would see a reduction in the occurance of cyano. Have you tried Microbacter7 at all?

jbj282013.jpg

Now I will take my crazy methodology and find the door. ;Bookworm :p

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all have our own mad scientist methods, what works for me others would probably find archaic. My hands are in my 20 gallon every 3 days, doing a water change, scrubbing the back wall clean, using a tooth brush to clean corners, scrub rocks off and a turkey baster to blast the detritus from the rocks. I am obsessive I will admit but for me the results are worth it. This is the reason why I like nanos, maintenance is so much easier at a much lower cost. No skimmer, minimal charcoal use, water changes, water changes, water changes...Never test for N/P, all that ever did was make me a nervous wreak.

It's the kiss method and I strayed from it the last two years, the results were disappointing. The nano below had no skimmer, no GFO, just water changes. Point is I feel almost any problem with a nano can be improved with routine water changes, ya just do not need all the bells and whistles.
Now you have a noticeable trait of attention to detail (which is excellent) and probably enjoy the engineering.

The only times my tanks have gotten dino was from dosing amino acids, never failed.

I am willing to bet if you put a T5 fixture on that tank you would see a reduction in the occurance of cyano. Have you tried Microbacter7 at all?

jbj282013.jpg

Now I will take my crazy methodology and find the door. ;Bookworm :p
I see some similarities in our methods. I've always had luck with water changes as well. I only keep a skimmer for oxygenation and any DOCs in between water changes. Lately water changes have shown some negative impact. Yes, corals seem to be thriving but biologically the tank isn't thriving. The sandbed and recent algae outbreaks seem to confirm that. Salty thinks it's being saturated with co2 though ph tests aren't confirming that. It could be other carbons breaking down under the rocks, though. My previous tank used a much larger skimmer on a smaller system and never had cyano. I even smoked around that tank where as now I haven't smoked in 4 years. I've never used air fresheners either so I have no idea.

I am having another issue. I've installed this upgrade to my RO system and now it went from 0 TDS to 4 TDS(inline meter) and 7 TDS(handheld meter) even after flushing for 20 minutes then running the system for 1 hour. I'm getting a solid 60psi and I don't know what to do now. ;Facepalm

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I flushed it for another 20 minutes while rotating the membrane. Then I ran the system for another 20 minutes while tipping the units and tapping all the lines. Now getting 1 TDS inline and 2 TDS handheld. The original parts to the system are roughly 4 years old so there's probably some excess sediment I didn't get cleaned initially. *fwew* ;Yawn;Penguin

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried Microbacter7 at all?
Oh and no, I havent tried MB7. Mainly because it's not readily available locally. I've tried stability in the past and I know they are very similar but the nitrate reduction isn't what I want to achieve, just yet. Since i've had dinos and building the microfauna is a big concern, any type of nutrient reduction is a risk for another bloom. I am dosing a small cap of Dr. Tims one and only once a week in the off chance the BB isn't performing. I really need to give this tank another 6 months of limited nutrient reduction before anything can be added. Although, I'm considering chaeto here in the near future. If..IF.. co2 is the culprit, chaeto should help remove that while adding some nutrient reduction without going overboard.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update.

I completed the LED light overhaul. We will see how it does.

I have a missing blue green chromis. Cannot find it anywhere. I've pulled all the equipment and searched to my best extend. *shrugs*

Cyano is still growing though not as thick as it was. I've yet to test or dose any calcium or alkalinity. I haven't tested nutrients either.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the missing chromis is still a mystery. If it jumped ship during feeding or something, my cat may have found it as a tasty treat. Yesterday I decided to do a small 2.5 gallon water change after turkey basting all the caves and crevasses for any dead fish. Nothing. I didn't do any nutrient or ammonia tests. I did however dose some bacteria just in case it was dead somewhere. ;Penguin

This whole doing nothing approach does throw off some major husbandry necessities like, water testing, for example. ;Facepalm;Bucktooth

Mg - 1350
Ca - 380
Alk - 5.0 <----:eek:

Uhh, coral look great! lol

Anyway, working on getting that back to 7dkh....
In the meantime I ordered some Dr. Tims Eco-Balance probiotic and LED strip lights for a DIY chaeto reactor that may or may not be used in the near future. Once I get alk up, I'll update more on the cyano. I already see a big reduction but that could be because of water parameters. So, once those are back to normal i'll get an update there. The remaining fish are happy and healthy.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the missing chromis is still a mystery. If it jumped ship during feeding or something, my cat may have found it as a tasty treat. Yesterday I decided to do a small 2.5 gallon water change after turkey basting all the caves and crevasses for any dead fish. Nothing. I didn't do any nutrient or ammonia tests. I did however dose some bacteria just in case it was dead somewhere. ;Penguin

This whole doing nothing approach does throw off some major husbandry necessities like, water testing, for example. ;Facepalm;Bucktooth

Mg - 1350
Ca - 380
Alk - 5.0 <----:eek:

Uhh, coral look great! lol

Anyway, working on getting that back to 7dkh....
In the meantime I ordered some Dr. Tims Eco-Balance probiotic and LED strip lights for a DIY chaeto reactor that may or may not be used in the near future. Once I get alk up, I'll update more on the cyano. I already see a big reduction but that could be because of water parameters. So, once those are back to normal i'll get an update there. The remaining fish are happy and healthy.

Wow! 5.0! Nice lesson. We all have routines and when they get disrupted we have to stay aware that nothing falls through the cracks. Thanks for sharing. BTW, I think your do nothing approach is courageous and correct.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! 5.0! Nice lesson. We all have routines and when they get disrupted we have to stay aware that nothing falls through the cracks. Thanks for sharing. BTW, I think your do nothing approach is courageous and correct.
Thanks! I went 30 days before without dosing and Alk fell from 8.5 to 6.6. I'll add 5.0 to a all new record lol. I'm a little surprised but happy that the coral are healthy enough to keep it's rate of absorption/consumption. I do think the tank is on the right track and hopefully will come to a resolve soon.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres an updated pic of the tank. Some color loss but everything is doing well for the most part. Might need to remove or frag the frogspawn. It's getting huge.
20180122_191928.jpg

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I did forget to mention I added some new coral. I added a Miyagi Tort, Bubblegum Digitata, and a few Fruit Loop zoas. Alk swings are prominent.

Also cyano growth is very minimal at the moment. I attribute this weekly GAC change outs, smaller 5% water changes, Fiji Mud twice a week, LED spectrum change, and Dr. Tims Eco-Balance probiotic dosings once a week.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. And kids good news yea?

What’s the alk swing from?
Kids?

I think the alk swing is just coral uptake and coralline. Coralline has been expoding. The swing isn't super high but enough for a nano to hiccup. 1.5dkh a day. So alk has been at 7dkh and drops to 5.5dkh by evening time.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kids = new coral?

I swear I have a sense of humor. I'm just slow today.

New coral are doing great. No light acclimation at all and polyps are out. :)
I’m becoming more of a believer in the moon thing , with the way today is going. Lol.
Interesting. And kids good news yea?

What’s the alk swing from?
And that’s kinda ...... good news.
Spell check demon.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What up with the alk?
I think the alk swing is just coral uptake and coralline. Coralline has been expoding. The swing isn't super high but enough for a nano to hiccup. 1.5dkh a day. So alk has been at 7dkh and drops to 5.5dkh by evening time.
Did you switch to decaf? ;Hilarious

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back