OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since cyano mats are growing in random areas and before disturbing the mats or feeding the tank, I did water parameter testing.

SG - 1.026(Milwaukee)
Alk - 7.8dkh(Salifert)
Ca - 415(Salifert)
Mag - 1390(Salifert)
No3 - 2-5ppm(Salifert)
Po4 - 0.03ppm(Hanna)
pH - 8.2(API HR exp. 2019)

@saltyfilmfolks Why do I have cyano? lol

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I've gone back and forth trying to gouge that one out.
There was only one other that was this baffling.

Besides the biodiversity that seems to be developing in your tank and the odd though that our tanks are smarter then us and are training us,

Here is my last fact based but semi crazy thought , environmental issue. Small house , co2 , or ammoina. (Litter box) o_O.

So will when left alone will it develop the diversity to overcome an environmental issue by maturing a bio filter and diversity population?

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I've gone back and forth trying to gouge that one out.
There was only one other that was this baffling.

Besides the biodiversity that seems to be developing in your tank and the odd though that our tanks are smarter then us and are training us,

Here is my last fact based but semi crazy thought , environmental issue. Small house , co2 , or ammoina. (Litter box) o_O.

So will when left alone will it develop the diversity to overcome an environmental issue by maturing a bio filter and diversity population?
If I could side with one or another thought that could potentially spur the growth, co2(maybe), ammonia more likely. Though, consider this, the tank turns 2 years old in February. The rocks have been wet during that time and live rock was added. The co2 issue is hard to take in. My old tank sat in the same environment as this tank, only feet away. Never did that tank see cyano. Only difference is, I rarely stirred the sandbed in that tank. And now that the co2 question as been dropped, I've been chasing pH. Not even sure why. But I see 7.8-8.0 at night and 8.0-8.2 during the day. This isnt bad. My house is surrounded with trees and the windows aren't completely sealed with energy saving windows. They do get cracked open every 2 or 3 days.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't chase , agreed, just like to know from time to time.
Did you test at all back then?

But that does kind of answer a question there.

Last tank was older live rock, yes?

This tank has had more Hits syndrome. ;)

And the buzzaro melted rock thing.
Btw I did once find and purchase the unicorn rock, leeching Po4 and no3. (Learned a lot from that one )

So the really interesting question in you're case becomes now, does one take action? Or does one just leave it be?
The latter actually seems to be working.

The caveat being , now that you know so much more about all of it and intimately understand the processs behind it , how do you ever just passively observe the annoying crap ruining your groove. :mad:

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last tank was older live rock, yes?
Yes.

So the really interesting question in you're case becomes now, does one take action? Or does one just leave it be?
The latter actually seems to be working.
Part of me wants to leave it be. Another part of me wants to fill in the 0.1-0.2 pH swing :rolleyes:;Facepalm

I think a couple things I want to do is add cheato back and get some fiji mud(for shoots and grins) to add to this primordial soup. Not because they may or may not help but because it will always be suggested to me until I do it lol!! ;Hilarious

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha. Well, I do like to be a thorn in my friends sides.

For self , Where I see problembs I don't generally look at quick soloutions , just to understand the problem and then ways to gently influence the outcomes. (Doesn't always work out but...) That's the nature of an experiment.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha. Well, I do like to be a thorn in my friends sides.

For self , Where I see problembs I don't generally look at quick soloutions , just to understand the problem and then ways to gently influence the outcomes. (Doesn't always work out but...) That's the nature of an experiment.
No worries! This tank has been weird from the get go. So, taking ones subjectively weird suggestions might actually be the trick. And they aren't weird, i'm just hard headed. I'm always open for suggestions as long it doesn't start with erythro and with mycin.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish update:

The royal gramma is out and about. Still a little shy but eating like a champ.

Also I received the Fiji mud in the mail. Looking forward to adding this to the tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad the new family members are settling in.

The mud didn't taste as salty as I though it would.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update:
Well, my 4 weeks of non-stop 12 hour days has come to an end for the holidays. Glad that is over. ;Greedy
I really haven't got the chance to observe the tank. Lights out for most of that time. I was able to have time to clean out the detritus build up in the rear chambers a couple weeks ago. Fish and corals are all doing well. No signs of dinoflagellates. Cyano is taking a break but not completely gone. Nutrients are naturally rising without intervention. That is a good sign. Also, no adverse reactions from adding the fiji mud a couple weeks back.

I did buy one of those 3 chamber acrylic dosing containers off amazon. Also added a small 80gph pump for circulation in the rear center chamber of the tank. I think this saturday I'm going to roadtrip it through holiday traffic for some new corals.

I hope the hobby doesn't get boring from this point on lol. 2 years of issues taught me a lot.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope the hobby doesn't get boring from this point on lol. 2 years of issues taught me a lot.

It never ever gets boring. :p

Always something to tinker with or try. Next on my list is a ca reactor! I am soooooooo done with dosing for awhile.

Good move on adding the extra flow to the back, I think it really does make a difference in the pH department and detritus removal...there by nitrates and so on and so forth.

Enjoy your Holidays and go forth and buy coral. :D

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It never ever gets boring. :p

Always something to tinker with or try. Next on my list is a ca reactor! I am soooooooo done with dosing for awhile.

Good move on adding the extra flow to the back, I think it really does make a difference in the pH department and detritus removal...there by nitrates and so on and so forth.

Enjoy your Holidays and go forth and buy coral. :D
Thanks! Hope you enjoy your holiday too! ;Happy

So, you're going to add a ca reactor to a nano? I hear mixed info on this. I'll have to admit I am intrigued. I have a 5lb co2 tank im not using.:)

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a water change last weekend and cleared more detritus out of the back chamber along with turning the sandbed over. Cyano decided to take off again with the addition of more brown stuff. Tested phosphates and they bottomed out to 0.00. :mad: Plan of action is doing nothing, again. Letting the tank ride. I think all this sand and detritus disturbance is doing more harm than good.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried pulling the sand out until the nutrients are in an equilibrium, so to speak?

I pulled about 3/4 of mine after the dino fight, and the cyano.
For some weird reason I am having to dose less po4 and the cyano seems to be in check for the moment.

*I did add muddy silty sludge and a ton of creatures.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back