5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but I'm also a nut job.

What haven't you had?
You're lidless?

Striped fanged blenny. Goof ball maybe jumper , bug predator. All kinds.

Red scooter blenny. A happy fish kinda like a golden lab.

Any of the small pretty wrasses. I'm about to look at those. I've wanted one for a while . I'd like another fish for my 30 that won't get beat up by the clowns.

Maybe we can go shopping?!
Hey, some of the most brilliant people on the planet are nut jobs! ;)

I do have a lid. I just don't like taking pictures of it. lol Maybe I'm a nut job too? :p

I like blennies. I worry though that they would turn into coralvores with lack of algae?

The last wrasse I had jumped during feeding once. I felt like the cherub helped push him off the ledge.

I have one cave left for a tenant. All other occupants would have to be free swimmers. There are a lot of fish I like but aggression and compatibility keep me from clicking the pay button in the shopping cart.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha. No the striped blenny is a sweetie. Also it's a fanged blenny. A predator. Also venomous. To tiny bugs. Lol. So it eats flat worms and nudies etc. a worker
http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/97/striped-blenny?pcatid=97&c=15+23+97

I have the exact same concern about wrasses. I only had one. Not a jumping accident. I was going to ask Hunter H for a reccomend. Jus sayin. We know an expert.

The scooters find a spot on the sand like a Mandy.

Kinda depends to, do you want swimmers or scooters?

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha. No the striped blenny is a sweetie. Also it's a fanged blenny. A predator. Also venomous. To tiny bugs. Lol. So it eats flat worms and nudies etc. a worker
http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/97/striped-blenny?pcatid=97&c=15+23+97

I have the exact same concern about wrasses. I only had one. Not a jumping accident. I was going to ask Hunter H for a reccomend. Jus sayin. We know an expert.

The scooters find a spot on the sand like a Mandy.

Kinda depends to, do you want swimmers or scooters?
That is a beautiful benny. I like scooters too. I really liked my mckoskers wrasse and if I considered another one, i would have redo my aquascape. I could say I have a cave for it but it may not be adequate enough for its timid behavior.

So heres a list with your help what I like - sunrise dotty, chalk bass, blue green chromis, forktail blenny, striped blenny.

Maybe I could do a chalk bass, 3 chromis and a blenny?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep , the mckoskers is what I've been looking at for a while now.
He might adapt and , well you might have a drill and some new rock.

Yep. I like you're choices there it's balanced . I haven't looked at the chalk bass much. Pretty cool looking. I'd guess they're more a saturated red in person.
I'd assume the normal "aggression" of the basslet species A boss in the tanks is good.

Mine is a royal gramma. Prettty fish. Also seems to like a cave and burrow , or mine is just weird. Funny thing about the big toothy smile one in Dory. Those are actually jagged nightmare fangs.
How cute.

I can only speak for my self, I've never had any luck with chromis. No clue why.
Id love a hardy schooling fish.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep , the mckoskers is what I've been looking at for a while now.
He might adapt and , well you might have a drill and some new rock.

Yep. I like you're choices there it's balanced . I haven't looked at the chalk bass much. Pretty cool looking. I'd guess they're more a saturated red in person.
I'd assume the normal "aggression" of the basslet species A boss in the tanks is good.

Mine is a royal gramma. Prettty fish. Also seems to like a cave and burrow , or mine is just weird. Funny thing about the big toothy smile one in Dory. Those are actually jagged nightmare fangs.
How cute.

I can only speak for my self, I've never had any luck with chromis. No clue why.
Id love a hardy schooling fish.
Ya the chalk bass is one thats listed as semi aggressive but peaceful to other fish. Whatever that means. They look nice under blues.

Why the bad luck with blue green chromis? Disease?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gramma, "queenie" is not a biter or chaser really. Just territory. And it's her tank. My talbot damsel does only have one pectoral fin now , but everybody agreed, he deserved it.

Queenie was unseated a bit by my pigmy angel. He's a spaz. He does need a bigger 55 and up.

No clue in the chromis. No apperant ick , no outward disease signs at all. Passed with other fish in the tank and not effected. Some. A week some theee mints. The reading I did came up with "delicate". Dunno. It has been a few years now.

The scooter or fanged ? You're a pet person. You'd prob like the scooter. It like a puppy. Also eats flat worms.
After the last one passed in the 30. They bloomed. :oops:

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gramma, "queenie" is not a biter or chaser really. Just territory. And it's her tank. My talbot damsel does only have one pectoral fin now , but everybody agreed, he deserved it.

Queenie was unseated a bit by my pigmy angel. He's a spaz. He does need a bigger 55 and up.

No clue in the chromis. No apperant ick , no outward disease signs at all. Passed with other fish in the tank and not effected. Some. A week some theee mints. The reading I did came up with "delicate". Dunno. It has been a few years now.

The scooter or fanged ? You're a pet person. You'd prob like the scooter. It like a puppy. Also eats flat worms.
After the last one passed in the 30. They bloomed. :oops:
Lol!

My black clown is "queenie" in my tank. She's been with me since day one. She's super chill and hasnt ever acted stressed or super aggressive but definitely puts tank mates in check. Shes the type that wants a big nem and a martini all to herself. Her mate, meh.. She keeps the male in her corner and will drag him by the fins if he drivers her crazy.

The cherub has a big cave to itself. The cave is about 3" x 3" with 4 entry points. He/she never acts stress either. He just cruises the tank grazing on the rocks.

That kind of sucks about the chromis. Sounds like they have water quality sensitivities like freshwater cardinal tetras.

Are you talking a scooter dragonet or something else? Blennies are super cute and have considered one before.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Great pets right.

Yep. Scooter blenny dragonette. A fish puppy. Mine didn't do well with the two clowns alone in the 30 gal.

The striped fanged blenny is a while other approach. The blenny family is huge.

Blue Cherub? Mines name is Napoleon. For a reason.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Great pets right.

Yep. Scooter blenny dragonette. A fish puppy. Mine didn't do well with the two clowns alone in the 30 gal.

The striped fanged blenny is a while other approach. The blenny family is huge.

Blue Cherub? Mines name is Napoleon. For a reason.
I worry a dragonet wouldn't do well in this tank. Pod population is still real low and dinos aren't gone yet.

My cherub is a small 2" sized cutie. I'm think its a female just because of the size. I've had him/her for nearly a year now and it might take another year of growth but might be just be a female. Mine seems passive. No weird qwerks as of yet.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nice thing (and do double check) the digestive track of the scooter is different than the Mandy so it doesn't have the same prob of feeding all day like Mandy and a sea horse. So it feeds more like a standard fish.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nice thing (and do double check) the digestive track of the scooter is different than the Mandy so it doesn't have the same prob of feeding all day like Mandy and a sea horse. So it feeds more like a standard fish.
I'll double check for sure. I really do like the scooters.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had dragonetts. Senior moment maybe. I read everything I could for years. Years ago. Lol
I'm pretty sure thats the case.

Besides , who doesn't want to read about fish?

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had dragonetts. Senior moment maybe. I read everything I could for years. Years ago. Lol
I'm pretty sure thats the case.

Besides , who doesn't want to read about fish?
Honestly, I'll admit, fish are not my strong suit. Much like people they can be difficult to understand from my perspective. I like to leave it up to more knowledgeable folks. I will say I do have common sense when it comes to certain aspects and have really only failed once with a six line. In my defense however, that little **** was awesome at first lol

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha. Yea. Not a fish head myself.

Six fish, 2 dozen + bivalves, 12 + algaes , ton o coral LOTS o bugs.

I'm like a paleo refer.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news, bad news, and new news.

Let's start with the new news. I had a nearly stn green stylo fall of a rock. Most likely from me mucking about with a toothbrush. It's been off the rock for a few weeks now(call me lazy). Anyway, I went to glue it back on and on the bottom of the frag piece, I saw a small amphipod! I haven't seen any of those in this tank in a long time. Kind of exciting. However, I think I might have smothered it in super glue. :oops:

Next, good news! I got on the microscope today to see what all is growing. I'm seeing more patches of cyano and I'm about 99% free of GHA. Yay!! I did not find any Coolia dinoflagellates...;Happy BONUS! However.....

Onto the bad news. I did have a brown film on the glass and maybe two small brown patches on the sandbed. So, I scraped the film onto a slide to analyse under the scope. What I saw was what looks like baby dinos. Actually, it's another species of dinos.;Drowning ;Facepalm Now, I couldn't take a picture or get any video. The size of this species is literally 1/50th the size of the Coolia I had before. Maybe smaller. But with some experienced reefers here, we narrowed it down to gyrodinium or gymnodinium. It's a fast mover but slow to gain population. So I have some confidence that they may not be around long.

This will be the third strain of dinos ID'd in this tank this year. I really think I'm progressing and if I'm not, there is only roughly 2,000 or more species and I've cleared 3 of them. So only 1,997 to go! ;Oldman

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went ahead and ordered the Tunze 9004 skimmer through BRS doorbuster sale. Paid a nice $107 for it. Hope I don't regret it. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back