Reefers can brew the world's best coffee !!!

How do you brew your coffee?

• Total voters

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a pur water filter. I have a french press and pour over. Just depends on how much time I feel like messing with it in the morning. Always fresh beans in the breville coffee grinder.

20180112_160328.jpg

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a french press, kureig, 5 cup mr coffee, malita drip , Delonghi espresso, 2 stovetop espresso pots and a Capresso conical grinder. Since I also brew beer, I regularly read my local municipal water report, which is fairly soft water and only requires minimal adjustments for beer brewing.

At the end of the day, the 5 cup Mr Coffee using a med-course grind, with tap water brews a darn good cup of coffee. The Kuerig is gathering dust in a closet. My coffee of choice right now is Peet's Major Dickason.

The Delognhi espresso is a nice compromise between price and quality to brew a decent decaf espresso for afternoon break .

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of those aeropress also. It was too difficult to use for multiple people so I bought a very nice French press instead.

I find that controlling the hot water temperature is THE KEY to good coffee more than anything else, by far.

Too hot and you pull the acids out of the coffee. Too cold and you don’t get enough coffee out of the coffee.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had to laugh when I read this. We are concerned about DI? How much tank water have we ingested over the years? Lol

rpeters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also roast my own coffee and use a behmor 1600 (Currently bounce between burman jumpstart and own blend). I have a breville dual boiler as well as a Delonghi superautomatic and both of them specifically state do not use DI water, not sure the reason behind it but thought it was interesting, I had two other Saeco superautomatics in the past and looking at the manuals they also stated the same thing.

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading this I need to up my coffee game.

What is the next baby step for someone using a keurig and pods to take towards better coffee.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problems with drinking water that has been thru a DI resin, is that the resin isn't FDA approved. Also, if you are drinking large quantities(ie, the only water you drink) of DI water then you'll need to get minerals elsewhere or eventually your body will run out, much like our tanks if we cut off the dosing pump. Bottled and municipal drinking water has minerals added to it for flavor, and as a dietary supplement. These minerals also can react with the chemicals in your coffee making an undesired taste, as well as building up a scale inside some higher end coffee makers.

Making coffee with DI water is perfectly safe. Just as long as your cartridge isn't leaking resin out.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is the next baby step for someone using a keurig and pods to take towards better coffee.

Do you have a kettle and a way to measure water temp inside it? If so, just a grinder and a brewing device, plus a scale. Do you have a scale? I use a cheap scale that reads in mg.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0...=aws+scale&dpPl=1&dpID=41DJQlFSr8L&ref=plSrch

Edit: those pods are crazy expensive over time. I highly recommend against pods for both financial and environmental reasons. Terrible for both.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pick up a french press, bean grinder and electric kettle. They sell whole bean coffee at the supermarket. I like Starbucks veranda whole bean. All together your looking at $75 to have coffee 10x better than a keurig. Only reason I have one is because it was a gift. The keurig coffee tastes watered down to me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...an+grinder&dpPl=1&dpID=41NQRigTUdL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FMJDJ5C/ref=mp_s_a_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1515820324&sr=8-25&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=bodum+french+press&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D...e+electric&dpPl=1&dpID=51gWTFyag6L&ref=plSrch

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^ the blade spice grinders result in uneven grinds and difficult to hit the mark. the key to a french press is consistency in the grind and matching that to exposure time to the hot water. on that note, the electric tea kettle is indeed a must, but keep in mind that boing water is too hot for coffee so you need to let the temp drop about 5° before adding it to the coffee.

If one is going to up his/her coffee experience, a good grinder is a must. i settled in on the capresso since it is burr grinder (burr result in even grind and reasonably priced.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drink tea and use rodi.

This reminds me of a thing I saw on shark tank.

https://thirdwavewater.com

Add the mineral packet to rodi or distilled water to get good coffee. What’s funny is that they didn’t take the deal because buying a gallon of distilled water and mixing the packet was “just to much to ask of the consumer.” That’s hilarious, try mixing 100 gallons of saltwater haha!

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the breville conical burr grinder in the picture above. Just didn't want to recommend a $200 grinder and scare him off, ha.

I've been using this one for the past 15 years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00O...SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=burr+grinder

Anything in between these two setups? Def dont want to go cheap and have to replace it or not get the correct experience. Anything in the $100 to $150 range worth owning or do I just need to drop the cash on a Breville?

Any electric kettles that bring the water to the right temp? I do have temp probes I use when I am cooking etc that I could use.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything in between these two setups? Def dont want to go cheap and have to replace it or not get the correct experience. Anything in the $100 to $150 range worth owning or do I just need to drop the cash on a Breville?

Any electric kettles that bring the water to the right temp? I do have temp probes I use when I am cooking etc that I could use.

The capresso has a conical burr grinder. For $100 it's your best bet. Just make sure and clean it once a month and it should last a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...rr+grinder&dpPl=1&dpID=4126EX4J7TL&ref=plSrch

Sipec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problems with drinking water that has been thru a DI resin, is that the resin isn't FDA approved. Also, if you are drinking large quantities(ie, the only water you drink) of DI water then you'll need to get minerals elsewhere or eventually your body will run out, much like our tanks if we cut off the dosing pump. Bottled and municipal drinking water has minerals added to it for flavor, and as a dietary supplement. These minerals also can react with the chemicals in your coffee making an undesired taste, as well as building up a scale inside some higher end coffee makers.

Making coffee with DI water is perfectly safe. Just as long as your cartridge isn't leaking resin out.
I have tried it to and it tastes aweful, at least plain. Or maybe it was just the mxing barrel

Servillius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. RO/DI is not bad for you. Total urban myth. Drink up, as loads of people have pointed out it will taste terrible, but do you no harm.

2. Remineralize it for coffee (add salt really, but I suppose the right salts may taste best). It will taste even better.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back