Reefers! What is Your Profession?!

jpshoemaker46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up Reefers!
We can’t all be Marine Biologists or Oceanographers, our lives take us on different paths sometimes. I’m a Journeyman Millwright of 20 years, basically an industrial mechanic. My super power is the ability to look at mechanical things that fail or need servicing, and figure out how to do so.

This ability and training allows me to diagnose and rectify many mechanical issues with reef tanks. I am also conditioned to perform regular maintenance routines on my tanks as well.

So my question to you is, what is YOUR profession, and how does it help you with reefing? :thinking-face:
Medical student graduating this year to become a doctor

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Campaign strategist and political poll writer.

It helps me the other way around. My reef tank helps keep me sane so I don’t lose my mind at work. Politics. Need anyone say more……hahaha. Came back from a month or so in Hawaii to some random dead sps pieces and even found more peace in that than the upcoming political landscape. :face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Corey

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

YouTube Channel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just a carpet cleaner…
So you’re saying you clean substrates. I can see where that is a very useful skill in reefing! Thanks for sharing! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 years in the auto body industry. I started as a detailer in a body shop, went into the paint department then into the front office. If you're in a collision, I'm the one writing your estimate and managing the repairs. I think my reef helps me in my career as apposed to my job helping me reef. I'm able to clear my mind of work while I'm reefing. As for as career helping me reef, I have an extreme attention to detail and great problem solving skills.

Last edited:

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Journeyman Maintenance Mechanic at a large urban hospital. HVAC, medical air compressors, surgical vacuum pumps and other life safety equipment. I also operate the disinfectant system for domestic hot and cold water which leads to constant water testing. Almost like a reef tank!

Jack Ravensbergen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy and sell in and outdoorplants at the biggest auction in the world , the vba in aalsmeer holland.
Those plants i sell thru out europe daily to supermarkets , wholesalers and shops.
Screenshot_20240203_170220_Chrome.jpg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Retired commercial construction electrician. Worked in Manhattan for about 45 years, but I was also a plumber and auto mechanic. Now I write and am in inventor which helps because just about everything in my tank is DIY
including some of the fish :)

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So you’re saying you clean substrates. I can see where that is a very useful skill in reefing! Thanks for sharing! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Actually the chemistry is useful, especially with modern man made fibers. A thorough understanding of the pH scale and leaving a balanced pH after cleaning.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back