ReefKeeper Problem

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got into the house from working tonight and my wife tells me we had a power failure for about one hour and ten minutes. No big deal.....we've had power failures and the tank just starts up again. But when I check the tank, the one ReefKeeper has a bar across it and all lights are on for all switches.

My second Reefkeeper is looking normal

I switched the head units with the EB-8's and sure enough the head unit is the problem. DA no longer supports RK-2's. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a miracle! After spending some time first figuring out what each cord ran, I had the tank back running last night, with the exception of my lights. It was night anyway and figured I'd work on the lights today. So I'm dinking around with the tank this morning and figured I'd plug in the ReefKeeper one more time......and, as Gomer Pyle would say, "Shazam," the headunit was working.

I actually plugged and unplugged the unit multiple times last night with no effect, and then left it unplugged overnight. I can only guess, having advanced degrees in ignorance....especially electronics, is that the logic cleared itself, or somehow reset.

I'm extremely relieved because I had no idea what I was going to do. You can't even find this antique ReefKeepers for sale anymore, and I didn't want one of these newer controllers that communicate with your smart phone.

Now back to dinking! :D

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like whatever power was left in its capacitors must have dissipated, and cleared it's (OTP NVM, PROMs ) memory.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like whatever power was left in its capacitors must have dissipated, and cleared it's (OTP NVM) memory.

Yep, that's what I'd say if I knew what I was talking about. I figured the OTP was interfering with the NVM and throwing off the capacitors a touch. :D :eek:

Now what the hoot is OTP and NVM?

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A programmable read-only memory (PROM) or field programmable read-only memory (FPROM) or one-time programmable non-volatile memory (OTP NVM) is a form of digital memory where the setting of each bit is locked by a fuse or antifuse. They are a type of ROM (read-only memory) meaning the data in them is permanent and cannot be changed. PROMs are used in digital electronic devices to store permanent data, usually low level programs such as firmware (microcode). The key difference from a standard ROM is that the data is written into a ROM during manufacture, while with a PROM the data is programmed into them after manufacture. Thus, ROMs tend to be used only for large production runs with well-verified data, while PROMs are used to allow companies to test on a subset of the devices in an order before burning data into all of them.

PROMs are manufactured blank and, depending on the technology, can be programmed at wafer, final test, or in system. Blank PROM chips are programmed by plugging them into a device called a PROM programmer. The availability of this technology allows companies to keep a supply of blank PROMs in stock, and program them at the last minute to avoid large volume commitment. These types of memories are frequently used in microcontrollers, video game consoles, mobile phones, radio-frequency identification (RFID) tags, implantable medical devices, high-definition multimedia interfaces (HDMI) and in many other consumer and automotive electronics products.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You asked:rolleyes:.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back