Reefkeeping: Patience or Persistence or Something Else?

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seawitch submitted a new Article:

Reefkeeping: Patience or Persistence or Something Else?

From time to time I like to reflect on what I’ve been through during my reefkeeping years. From almost day one of this marvelous hobby, I was told, “You have to have patience” or “If you don’t have patience then you might as well stop."

This got me thinking as of late. A good friend of mine assured me that I don’t have patience, but I am the most persistent person he’s met. I didn’t know if I should take this as a compliment or a slap in the face?

Let’s look at the definitions shall we?

Patience: the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.

away-2850278_1920-jpg.960075

The image above is a royalty-free image from Pixabay.

I think as a simple human being that having patience with anything is a stretch. We all run into problems with our aquariums from time to time. We deal with delay, trouble, and suffering.

Do we get angry or upset? I know I have and still do from time to time. This is completely natural. Does this mean we don’t have patience? I don’t think so. I believe it’s how we deal with these setbacks and feelings that makes all the difference. Is it challenging? Sure it is! Sometimes we just have to let things run their course; other times we have to jump in and make a change. Does that mean we are not patient? That’s tough to say--sometimes we get ahead of ourselves and want to act when we should really wait. This is where advice from other experienced reefers comes in. This is what friends are for, they can assure us that either we need to have patience or we need to act to persevere!

Persistence/perseverance: to continue resolutely despite difficulty, delay, or opposition in achieving success.

holzfigur-980784_1920-jpg.960066

This is where I believe most long-term reefkeepers find themselves. They have persevered over almost every reefkeeping setback you can imagine. What makes them different? What makes them tick? They don’t give up! They meet the challenges head on and stick it out. They are not afraid to ask for help or advice and will do most anything to learn more about this hobby.

I like to confuse the two different terms I guess. I believe that to be in this hobby you start with having some patience, but perseverance, my friends, is what will take you to a whole new level. This is what will make you successful long term.

So in closing I’ll just say, the next time you get to interact with someone newer to the hobby, take them under your wing and show them how to be persistent!

Stay Salty!!

chalkboard-1927332_1920-jpg.960068

~~~~~~~~~~~

Note from the Editor: This essay, above, reminded me of one of my favorite quotes.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Calvin Coolidge

~~~~~~~~~~~

We encourage all our readers to join the Reef2Reef forum. It’s easy to register, free, and reefkeeping is much easier and more fun in a community of fellow aquarists. We pride ourselves on a warm and family-friendly forum where everyone is welcome. You will also find lots of contests and giveaways with our sponsors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author Profile: @120reefkeeper

Mike has been involved in the marine hobby both personally and professionally for over 20 years. His strengths are plumbing, welding and fabrication, tank builds, dosing, and automation. Mike is also a veteran of the United States Marine Corps. His favorite quote is, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me. “ Jesus Christ

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for writing this @120reefkeeper. I have to say that this essay is particularly meaningful to me, as someone just starting out with saltwater, and who is pretty scared of everything that could go wrong.

You’re very welcome! We have all had setbacks! You will Persevere!

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice uplifting, positive affirmation for reefkeeping and many other aspects of life. Thanks for the posting! :)

You’re Very welcome! It’s the Reefkeeing life!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great stuff, Mike!! Thanks so much for putting this together, my friend!!

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff, Mike!! Thanks so much for putting this together, my friend!!

You’re welcome my friend! I’m glad you like it ! [emoji4]

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You have to be persistant, but patient in the process. Too many hobbyists pay much attention to parameters or something out of place and miss the opportunity to enjoy their tanks and creations.

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to be persistant, but patient in the process. Too many hobbyists pay much attention to parameters or something out of place and miss the opportunity to enjoy their tanks and creations.

Yes I agree, but as we all know this is not easy! It’s not easy or natural to be patient. Persistence is the linchpin IMHO. [emoji4]

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, great words for anybody who is new or struggling to get things right in this hobby (or in life). I had a rough time for my first few years. After that it was the occasional hardware setback (like a 180g DT springing an unstoppable leak). Now I have a fairly carefree 40g tank that whenever I look at it a smile comes to my face and I couldn't be happier as it's just what I want it to be! It all takes time.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, great words for anybody who is new or struggling to get things right in this hobby (or in life). I had a rough time for my first few years. After that it was the occasional hardware setback (like a 180g DT springing an unstoppable leak). Now I have a fairly carefree 40g tank that whenever I look at it a smile comes to my face and I couldn't be happier as it's just what I want it to be! It all takes time.

Well, put my friend.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I agree, but as we all know this is not easy! It’s not easy or natural to be patient. Persistence is the linchpin IMHO. [emoji4]
"Nothing good happens fast in this hobby" is so true in reefing. But I also find it true in woodworking, welding, running my small orchard. Can't understand why so many people are in such a big hurry these days. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Nothing good happens fast in this hobby" is so true in reefing. But I also find it true in woodworking, welding, running my small orchard. Can't understand why so many people are in such a big hurry these days. :rolleyes:

There have been so many advancements made in technology over the last 10-20 years. With everything we have at our fingertips these days , it’s very easy to get into a hurry. I find myself looking for instant gratification sometimes. I can only image growing up and not seeing what it was like before all these advancements. That helps put things in perspective. As a hobby it’s gotten much much more user friendly!! With that being said the best we can do is to continue to help folks understand that this is for pleasure, the shear enjoyment and wonderment of it. It’s time to slow down, learn, relax and enjoy the challenge and the ride. [emoji4] It’s a wonderful learning experience and the end results will justify the means!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back